Latest nightly - Strange video slowdowns?

Those commits are unrelated.

Please try the following build here, we need to write a proper fix but it should be semi-fixed.

Here a image with the proper fix:
https://test.coreelec.org/Portisch/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-devel-1585564608.tar
Please have a try. If this is ok it goes into nightly!

1 Like

Hi @Portisch thank you.
“CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-devel-1585564608.tar” This image works well.
No video stuttering after 20 minutes test good video.

1 Like

Ill test this one tonight, will be watching a bit.

Ok update from me, so far perfect, not had 1 slowdown in anything i have watched.
Also i am not sure if its a placebo effect, but i have suffered from a strange shimmering on every tv i have ever owed. currently on number 5. Almost like small artifacts, this has also vanished. I have not had such smooth playback since my old acer revo 3700 years ago.

Not sure what you have done, but i am keeping this version FOREVER!

I ran 20200328 nightly for around another 12 hours and it continued to be flawless.

I am couple of hours into testing 1585564608 and have seen 4 occurrences, 3 lasting no more than a second and the other around 2 seconds, all auto correcting.

Like roden, I did notice a very slight but noticeable improvement in video quality, with colours being more vibrant.

Will report more after a few more hours.

Another 4 hours use and no further issues.

With the colour improvement, it made me wonder about Tone Mapping HDR to SDR and I found that the quality of 4K HDR is a little improved, not being as dark as before. Tonights nightly also shows the improvement.

Still on 608, did not realise there were more improvements :heart_eyes:

All changes are in 20200330, the test image got deleted.
There was also a change in h264 if gaps are found in the frame stream.
We don’t know if this fix will lead to new issues - so please carefully check if all is working as it should.

thx

1 Like

After 6 hours use of 20200330 it’s working like a dream.

1 Like

Just updated, will test later.

Sorry got busy, will test tonight.

I’m using 31 Mar nightly on my N2. After a few hours of watching an old SD TV show (H.264), I noticed cadence had become choppy. After 5mins it was still bothering me. Cured after a reboot.

Also, before the reboot I had paused the video and clicked on the screenshot button… the box locked up, screen went black, and eventually it rebooted itself into Safe Mode.

UPDATE: the next night… no problems noticed… I watched 3x SD TV shows, 1x HD TV SHOW, and 1x 4K movie.

I keep getting to busy to test, one of or let us know?

For me the problem is resolved and all subsequent nightly’s have run fine, without issue.

1 Like

Same here, it’s working great, using 20200402. Thank you very much!

Great, thats sorted then.

After the changes I have a problem with dirty H264 sources. Older versions showed a few artifacts, the last ones give a black picture and I can only go back if I replay the file. The black screen only affects the decoding of the video, because GUI continues to run smoothly. I hope I was able to express myself clearly using google translate.

Please upload a sample.

Sample (30.62MB)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hx8sumendecbfdc/sample.mkv/file

Maybe someone can use this sample to reproduce my problem with the black screen.

I tried CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng arm-9 2-nightly 20200410 and my problem seems to be gone. It works like a charm.

Thanks for the great work