LG OLED 65B8 No video HDR content [Solved Bad Quality HDMI Cable]

I solved the problem with the correct settings.

Whitelist: When this feature was first introduced into Kodi it was very problematic for Amlogic devices and would cause playback issues if you did not select all the resolutions/refresh rates that your display was capable of, however the code has since been refined and by not selecting any resolutions the old behaviour of Krypton is enacted.

If you have a black screen when playing 4K/HDR content then whitelist 3840x2160 and below, leaving 4096x2160 unselected as sometimes Kodi will choose this resolution for 4K content which can cause problems with some setups.

Now there is no need to set 8bit limi.

edit:
after rebooting the device (limit 8bit) and I do not turn off the function did not realize videos 4k do not work again.
Must have 8bit limit set.

But then you only get 8 bit playback not 10 bit? Which is the same as using the 8 bit toggle limit.

Yes :frowning_face::frowning_face:

The inputs on the TV can be set to different modes. for example Game Mode, PC Mode, etc…

Has anybody that is having issues with this TV tried changing the mode of the HDMI input?
Maybe try each mode and see if that helps resolve the problem.

I don’t have an LG TV but there should be a mode or label option for each input that when changed, changes the configuration of the HDMI port.

These different modes have no effect.
I’ve tried them all and the video hasn’t started.

It works when playing from DLNA and USB 10bit.

Makes no difference for me what mode it’s in either. Even tried different hdmi inputs and no effect.

Any sign of a fix yet?

Is there a recent “dispinfo” output when signal goes off available?

Only what has already been posted, we’ve stopped watching 4k stuff as its not really in the quality we would expect until sorted. We are watching it through the tv itself.

Come home tonight and getting no signal when turn the tv on, reboot the box and it boots up into kodi ok and shows the GUI. As soon as I try to play anything even in SD it goes to No signal and I have to reboot the box, even stop doesn’t work.

The resolution has been set at 3840 for weeks and not been an issue, I set it back to 1080p after this problem tonight and then I could play 1080p or SD content with no issues, as soon as I try to play any 4k it goes back to the usual no signal.

If I then set the resolution back to 3840 it does the same no signal message again on the tv.

I am going to speak to Richer Sounds who I bought the TV from as I am starting to believe this is a fault with the TV, several cables have been tried, tv software is still the same and latest version etc. Dunno what is up with it.

No other people with B8 seem to be having the same problem.

Have you tried changing the HDMI port?

Yep tried them all and it’s still the same.

Update guys,

I have borrowed another box off my brother to see if this fixed the issues, it didn’t.

I have also borrowed some other HDMI leads, despite buying two new premium certified leads from Amazon with good reviews my lead is 6m in length, hence buying premium certified…

This is the cable that doesn’t work

I tried a lead that comes with a standard sky box, its approx 1m, 10bit 4k then works on the box!

Also tried another lead that I borrowed and that worked also.

So all I can do is apologise but surely a couple of premium certified cables of equal length advertised as working for 4k and 60fps and it must be very bad luck that both do not work.

So I have now ordered a different shorter HDMI cable of 3m from Amazon

My plan is to move the tv box into the room the tv is in and hopefully the shorter cable is suitable. Didn’t want to have a box on display but seems this is the only way as the cable lengths are just not reliable.

I will let you know once the cable gets here.

So the moral of the story is don’t believe what’s in the marketing blurb.

I think we tell users each day that no signal = bad cable.

I’m glad you was able to get to the bottom of this as it is a stark reminder of how important cable quality is.

So the 3m cable has turned up and that doesn’t work either! Nothing seems to work!

You need to read reviews Amazon.co.uk:Customer reviews: HDMI Cable 8K / 4K – 3m – with A.I.S Shielding – Designed in Germany (supports all HDMI devices like PS5, Xbox, Switch – 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz, High Speed HDMI lead with Ethernet, black) – CableDirect This new one is Garbage Brand as well.
Try Amazon Basics or Monoprice.

I spent time researching last night others said that it worked.

When I check the Amazon basics one it comes out the same people say it’s not supporting 4k 60fps etc.

Only need a 3m one.

Monoprice makes very good hdmi certified, inexpensive cables. It’s an American company, so you may have to order on Amazon.com.

I have this cable:

Working perfectly

N2 -> Onkyo TXNR676E -> LG C8

Are the Amazon basic cables any good? Only need 2 to 2.5.