Mecool k5 coreelec

Oh I see. Yes, any satelite box will let you do that, but it’s not as neat as an integrated solution.

At least, from what I’ve read, the K5 does work well under Android. The KII pro gave lip sync problems on Android, but works well under Coreelec.

So… since you mentioned it, I did some research and spotted that there is a Kodi addon - VU+ Client PVR addon, that allows you to use (apparently) any Enigma 2 box with an IP address as the Server - as you say no need for TV Headend. Probably most people on here have sussed that already, but it was news to me, so posting it here.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Enigma2

1 Like

I can tell You why I only use SAT-Box or SAT-Tuner from TV
Because it works.
If You read the forum the are o lot of users reporting a lot of problems using any amlogic box + tuner.
Most of them spent many hours of searching, troubleshooting etc.
After the next CE realease it will be continued, searching & troubleshooting -> endless
There are some poeple with a lot of know how about TVheadend etc.
But if You want to get much know how, You need a lot of time.

I only want to watch TV some times, I switch my TV on and watch TV-Programs - easy doing.

No need for me to use TVheadend to be able to watch TV on my samtphone/tablet/notebook …

Nothing wrong with that approach if it suits you Tim. Your satellite box is presumably connected to the TV in your living room and that’s where you watch TV - same for a lot of people. However there are many people with Android or Coreelec boxes who use them elsewhere in the house, in a bedroom or second sitting area, places where they don’t have a satellite cable or TV areial, and they want to be able to use these boxes to watch live TV there too. So they need some way to pipe their live TV around.

Like me, I have on one place a SAT>IP server, Digibit-R1. So I can use the DVB streams on any hardware client in the house, CoreELEC, Windows, TV, phone, web browser,…

It’s one time hard to find your own DVB server to fit for your personal purpose.
But afterwards the good thing is you can switch/exchange any client you like in future.
And every time you change the client you know the DVB streams have to be working as the server remain untouched.

If you have server and client combined in one piece of hardware it’s hard to upgrade as maybe something changed and stopped working after the upgrade. Then you don’t know, is the server wrong or does have the client a issue!?

So splitting the server and client part will make your life easier for sure - and for the developers too :wink:

1 Like

Interesting! Can I ask a question then? On your setup, do you have to select which channel you are streaming on the server, or does the client (tvheadend client?) allow you to select any channel without touching the server?

The server get controlled by the clients stream requests. The Digibit-R1 do have 4 tuner. The client just request a stream, the next client request a new stream,… The server does handle the tuners by himself.

So minimum is 4 channels simultaneously, max depends on the requested streams. When all streams are on the same transponder then only one tuner is used for multiple clients.

The server just run a minimal firmware to be able to provide a sat>ip server and to handle the tuners.
Maybe once a year the server needs to be rebooted.
But this is normally done by power loss itself :wink:

tvheadend can be switched between the server and the clients and you can then use something like a PVR addon in all Kodis on all platforms to handle tvheadend. In tvheadend it’s possible to add the 4 single tuners of the Digibit-R1 as dvb tuners.

I run the Digibit-R1, TVH on the NAS and the clients request the streams from the TVH on the NAS

2 Likes

Thank you, Portisch for your comprehensive reply.

Hello. Anybody is working with some tv box+sat on coreelec?

Now, only work mecool kIII. ki pro and kii are missing :frowning:

This is not a correct analysis of the software in Android. The hardware developer sells the hardware to meecool along with a bundled apk which has the driver fully integrated into it. There is literally no separate linux driver other than this Android app. Any Linux support has to be fully reverse engineered from scratch.

As to problems with server-client on the same box. You may get lucky but it was my personal experience on the VIM2 with dvb card (same hardware as the mecool) that operation was extremely unstable - especially at boot up. It often took multiple reboots to get things working and certain channel changes would lockup the hardware. All of this disappeared when I seperated the server side.

A separate TVH server is available to anywhere where your network extends and can run dozens of clients around the house. There is absolutely no need to have your sat hardware co-located with your client TV boxes. You can tuck your server away in the attic or in a cupboard if you like. You can also run many other services on your server as well. I run COMSKIP, PIHOLE and OpenmediaVault on my server.

Shoog

i have digibit and i know it, but it is expensive.

Hi, I don’t know if it is possible, but I have a k5 and it has a AVL6862TA tuner. If you had the drivers of that (used for another dtb in the past) perphaps you could put it together with a new dtb.img for a k5 and I could try and send the logs

I have Mecool k5 now running coreelec without dvb. dtb used is sm1_s905x3_2g, and log http://ix.io/2OVw

I recently bought a K5 and would love to be able to use the DVB-Tuner on this thing.
As a longtime K1 Pro user I had no Problems whatsoever with multiple setups using DVB-S, DVB-C and DVB-T2.

I think the first step would be to extract the android dtb and build a new one for CE incorporating the DVB part. If the demodulator really is AVL6862, then there should be drivers, since it is also used in the K1. Then we need to know which tuner is used and if there are any drivers available.

I would love to help and test…

1 Like

There is no one on the CE team with expertise in dvb hardware. People have tried multiple times to hack the drivers into shape - but it never seems to mature to the point of usefulness. The situation is worse now since the original K1 drivers were built against the ancient 3.4 kernel, and that has now been dropped from active development so the effort would have to start from scratch.

In short I don’t think it will happen unless a dvb hardware expert emerges.

Shoog

There is an additional complication. Afl1 integrated this driver into the crazycat drivers. Which means we can’t even update those otherwise it will all break.crazycat is from 2017 iirc. So even if you find an android driver it will not work with dvb latest or crazycat. I guess it is just a matter of time until this whole dvb stuff explodes. For now it kinda works but if it stops and no one steps up it’s gonna be removed.

My advice get a dedicated sat ip server and don’t buy those AML devices with DVB if you plan to use it with CoreELEC.

To the topic afl1. He vanished without a trace. We are kinda worried that something happened to him. I really hope he just stopped but there is currently no chance to contact him and the last known life message from him was that he is going on a bike trip.

The problem is SAT ip server is very expensive and the digibit or the xoro, are hard to find.

You can use your current mecool box with CE 9.2 with 3.14 kernel as a headless tvh server. Then get another box or several to stream your live tv.

2 Likes

Ki plus, ki pro and kii pro are no longer sold.
My ki pro is dead, i use digibit but i search alternative for my friends.

And if you use mecool as server for some tv box, you only can watch the same tp.