Mecool k5 coreelec

The whole built in dvb thing is dying, it will not be maintained if it breaks because it uses propitiatory software and there is no expertise. It offers a single tuner which is far to constraining for a practical home system and if you need two then its cost comparable to a digibit Twin.

its time to abandon these cheap pieces of crap.

Shoog

Friend, I donā€™t know how far your line of knowledge can reach, but I think it shouldnā€™t be too far.
There are many other means of broadcasting live TV; The world does not revolve around satellites.
These boxes can reproduce many channel encodings like
DVB-C stands for "Digital Video Broadcasting- Cable.

SAT ip, digibit is not the solution for everything because it only plays DVB-S
Below is an incomplete list of countries using DVB-C.
Albania Argentina Armenia Australia Austria Belarus Russia Bosnia and Herzegovina Brazil Bulgaria China Colombia Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Ecuador Estonia Finland France Germany Georgia Gibraltar Greenland Hong Kong Hungary India Indonesia Ireland Israel Kazakhstan Latvia Lebanon Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg North Macedonia Mali Malta Moldova Mexico Montenegro Nepal Netherlands New Zealand Norway Pakistan Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Romania Russia Serbia Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Taiwan Tanzania Thailand Peru Ukraine United Kingdom Uruguay Vietnam

The K3 Pro is still sold, I have it with CoreELEC in its internal memory. It works very well and also as an IP signal transmitter.

1 Like

In strict terms satip is sat but it can be used for dvb-c or dvb-t. I have a hdhomerun expand that is a quad tuner for dvb-c. It sends the signal over ethernet to the tvheadend server showing there as 4 satip tuners. The hdhomerun connect (the dvb-t variant) recently had an update and is now for dvb-c also. And this is the best way to get the transmission because weā€™re free from drivers/firmware problems, or at least, less exposed.

1 Like

Yes hdromerum
Twin digibit, telestar, no

I have here, DVB-C + DVB-S + DVB-T, In a mecool for this reason I think it is not the solution.
To solve 80% of the problems, it is necessary to buy hdromerum + telestar for anyone, this makes it unviable, so I understand the point of view of people with mecool.
I also have a super stable enigma2 dreambox.

And works great in the old kernel. That can always be a nice tvh server if you want to upgrade your device.

We really need Coreelec for mecool K5. Dont play with our feelings, pleaseā€¦ it is a little effort that help many people. Just release a new version for mecool K5ā€¦ who knows how long we will be locked up and bored at home due to COVID.

Unfortunately, internal DVB is not a ā€œlittle effortā€ because we lost the main DVB developer. Thereā€™s no one available with enough DVB expertise to make support possible. However, it has been stated numerous times that weā€™re opened to PRā€™s that may bring that support.

There is no developer, thatĀ“s it.

(Edited by CoreELEC)

I dont know where can be a problem? Its important if the kerel support he cpu and if drivers pack support DVB tuner chipsetā€¦ thats allā€¦ Im mistaken???
Bechause i normally using KI+ or KIpro as DVB box with CoreELEC with backend and frontend and as DVB streamer without any problemā€¦ Problems coming with external tunersā€¦ I expecting, that K5 have same tuner as previous boxesā€¦ S905X3 is supported by CoreELEC and AVL8892 tuner tooā€¦

No dev has this device as Mecool doesnā€™t support CoreELEC. That makes it hard for some specific devices to be correctly supported. And we couldnā€™t even guarantee that a solution would be possible if someone had it. But without it itā€™s just not doable.
I think you have some answer mecool gave an user about supporting CoreELEC here in the forum.

1 Like

Helloā€¦
Thanks for previous answerā€¦
But maybe it will be stupid question, but why its impossible when u have source code to take dvb.img from KI+, KII or KIII and just updated it for S905X3 code??? Its trully that different from original S905?
Because at tuesday i was received K5 (for my father because Ki+ died ā€œsomehowā€ :smiley: ) and i tried to install CE on K5 ā€¦ Yes it havent reset button and it cant to boot directly from SDcard, but if u hold power button for five sec, its same as reset button, and for booting CE use a SDcard USB reader or use USB flashā€¦ Everything after booting working well like HDMI, LAN, WiFi 2.4G&5G, BT and etc with default sm1_s905x3_2g.dtb (its faster than my Tanix TX3 with 4GB RAM)ā€¦ But i dont see any DVB tunerā€¦ It behave same as if i tested Odroid N2+ with AVL tuner, and i forgot to use dtb.img with DVB extensionā€¦ Thanks for any answer and many thanks for hard work on CEā€¦ VoDa

2 Likes

Hello, i recently bought this box, and I have not managed to execute coreelec yet! I use it for sometime now on previous models (k1 pro, k2 pro) so i know how to prepare the bootable sd card. Problem is that this box has NO reset button, so i can not force it to boot from sd card. Is there some way to do it? I only discovered that by pressing the power led when you connect power cable, the recovery menu is activatedā€¦

You should boot into Android and install/side load the app Reboot to LibreElec.

Then, you can simply run the App and CoreElec should boot.

I tried it, problem is the box is not rooted.

The post directly above yours says to hold the Power button for 5 seconds.

Ok, so after reading the posts here, i managed to successfully install CE 9.2.7 NG. The NEW problem i have to report (unfortunatelyā€¦) is that the only SD card that successfully booted CE, was an ancient 8GB /class 2 card i created in Windows 10 using Rufus latest version. I tried another 3 cards, all class 10, two were 16GB and one Samsung EVO 32, using Rufus and the correct dtb file, in all 3 cases box refused to boot SD cards, going directly to recovery mode. Can someone that actually owns this box confirm that he managed to boot successfully CE using this kind of cards?? This thing happens for the first time to me, i owned a k1 pro box and i still use a k2 pro box with CE, without any of these problems!

I forgot to mention, i used 2 different pcsā€¦

The type of supported uSD depends on bootloader and board layout. Nothing todo with CE.