Missing Kodi splash screen

I’m not sure whether this is related to CoreELEC or Kodi itself, but I’m posting here just in case it’s CoreELEC

I’m missing Kodi’s splash screen when booting.

I’m running CoreELEC 8.99.2 on a S905 box with 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of internal memory (of which there’s plenty free) And I’m running CoreELEC from an SD card

I think I should be seeing Kodi Leia’s splash screen when booting, but I don’t
To be clear, this is what happens when I boot:

• A couple of seconds blank screen
  • A few seconds (6? 7?) of CoreELEC’s splash screen
  • A few (about 3) seconds of blank screen during which I can hear Kodi’s startup sound
  • Kodi’s home screen

I think I should be seeing Kodi’s splash screen during the 3 or so seconds of blank screen when I hear Kodi’s startup sound, right?

At first I wondered if it was due to my not using Kodi’s default skin (Estuary). I’m using Estuary Mod v2
But then I switched to Estuary, just in case, and the same thing happened: no Kodi splash screen

I think the file that is used for Kodi’s splash screen is located at /usr/share/kodi/media/Splash.png
Is that right?
Is it still a png file or is it a jpg file now?
I went looking at that location and I found splash.jpg, but not splash.png
The file splash.jpg is indeed the Kodi splash screen I’m missing

Also, I have not created an advancedsettings.xml file. I know Kodi’s splash screen can be disabled from there (https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#splash), but I don’t have that advanced setting file

Is anyone else missing Kodi’s splash screen?
Is it expected?
If not, what could be causing it in my case? Any clues?
Thanks

This is not a bug, the splash screen was removed as the device boots up faster without it.

If you really want it back then you can just add <splash>true</splash> to your advancedsettings.xml.

2 Likes

Oh, ok, thanks for clarifying that

Yes, I created the advancedsettings.xml file with <splash>true</splash> in it and now I see Kodi’s splash screen

I don’t mind the increased boot time the splash screen causes, but I can understand the reasoning for removing it by default