N2 Boot Sequence

That is good news.

Thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:

thanks, it would be nice to restart sd from android

In the meantime they have made that configurable in latest Android version with a tool that changes mmc_list “0 1” to mmc_list “1 0” in env blob. With this change when I reboot Android on eMMC it boots Ubuntu on uSD card.

However this change has no influence if I have CE on uSD card. It always boots/reboots to Android on eMMC.

Is there something that I can change in CE so that it behaves similar to Ubuntu ie boots from uSD when it’s inserted?

No we need to make changes in the CE bootloader itself to take advantage of the changes by HK.

1 Like

I just got the message from @tobetter on odroid forum to add a line in boot.ini and try if it works.

Added setenv mmc_dev ${devnum} as suggested and now CE on uSD has boot priority.

Can this be added to config.ini also so not to get changed with new update ?

1 Like

is it possible to prioritize SD-Card? I want to boot CE from emmc and dont want to disconnect it when i want to boot Debian oder Ubuntu from SD-Card

AFAIK Debian should boot first if it’s on uSD card. If it does not try this fix that I use in another situation (Android on eMMC and CE on uSD) It should set uSD as first priority.

@Sholander it’s been added, should be in tomorrows nightly.

1 Like

So from there it should be possible to install CE on emmc (without any changes in boot.ini/config.ini) and install Ubuntu or Debian on SD-Card (without any changes in boot.ini/config.ini) and it will boot Ubuntu if emmc AND SD-Card are connected an it will boot CE if only emmc is connected?
that would be like a dream comes true :heart_eyes:

its working (nightly day 15), trying in android and ubuntu on emmc, thanks

Take care, it’s not working with CE installed on eMMC. In that case CE does not boot, so it will probably be reverted in next nightly.
If you want to use it, you’ll have to add that line in boot.ini to your CE on uSD yourself…

ok, now doing test with android on eMMC

It’s already been reverted, I need to test this change more and see what the problem is for eMMC users.

1 Like

Can it be made as an option in config.ini for those that need it?

I will try to look into this tonight, everybody has been short for time this week.

I wasted 2 hours the other night install Android to the eMMC and trying to find the setting in Odroid settings which didn’t exist and then I tried terminal emulator to do it and then realised it had to be done from my computer and I had to install adb and fast boot drivers, it was a very long and overly complex task to achieve dual booting, it would of been a lot easier if HK had just changed the ordering and none of this would be necessary, I actually can’t see any legitimate reason not to.

Might be better if I open a PR to them to do it again and then get everyone to reply with a +1 message asking them to merge it.

Look at the Hong Kong protests recently… the people finally won.

This method and workaround they have created is overly complex for users for something that should be relatively easy, if an eMMC bootloader becomes corrupt for whatever reason and the user does not have the eMMC adapter then it is incredibly difficult for users to be able to fix it and retrieve data with the current setup, it’s just wrong.

Most PC bios always boot external media before the HDD, ie CDROM for Windows installation.

1 Like

I also cannot understand why they changed boot priority order, but doubt that they will listen to reason and make boot order like everybody else or at least to make it configurable for users to choose. When something like their solution, different from everybody else’s, is decided I doubt that protests will bring the change. This is South Korea, not China we are dealing with :wink:

Edit: When I talked about this matter with @tobetter at Odroid forum he said:
“FYI, I am working on Petitboot which can manage the multiple images…”
Maybe that will be a useful solution.

After discussion with tobetter he has updated HK u-boot, link.

After their next update you should be okay.

If you know how to flash u-boot then you can apply the update immediately here.

3 Likes

Thank you for bring me CoreELEC and finally I’ve signed up. :grinning:

Sorry for making the problem and as @anon88919003 explained the change will be affected on the next Android release. Also, we will fix not to change the value “mmc_list” by Android update once it has been set.

5 Likes

Excellent news…

Amazing support from both CE and HK teams.
You really can’t go wrong with an N2

does this mean the issue with CE on emmc and boot from SD Card is also resolved or is this a different problem?