N2 Boot Sequence

Anyone who knows how to do this got time to post instructions for us numpties who don’t?

CE has its own U-boot change to boot from SD card, so I believe if CE is eMMC then it will load from SD when it’s attached. Isn’t it?

The installation instruction of U-boot is stated in the Wiki,
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/software/building_u-boot#installation

And the last version of U-boot of HK can download from Github which also contains the installation script.

1 Like

no, until the last nightly (20190615) it is not posslible.

It will, if you flash new u-boot to your Android, or wait a couple of days for new Android update.

I would discuss with @anon88919003.

Tnx for proving me wrong :slight_smile:

@anon88919003 already knows there is a problem with dual boot when CE is installed on eMMC

Read today’s posts and you’ll see that everything is (will be) resolved with next Android and CE updates. No need for further discussion.

1 Like

Sorry :flushed:, just to be clear…

Will these updates also enable booting of Ubuntu from SD with CE on eMMC, or do we need an updated Ubuntu for that?

Since CE is built to first boot from uSD and if it does not find boot.ini there, then it boots from eMMC, I guess that you can do that already, but no tried it myself.
As I understand, the problem was with Android on eMMC, not with CE, but try it yourself and report :wink:
Changes that will be made with next update will ensure that system always boots the OS that is on uSD first, like all other Amlogic boxes (and PCs) do.

No, if CE is installed on eMMC then you can only boot another CE installation from SD, we need to make changes to our u-boot to fix this.

Sorry @Sholander you are only 1/2 correct, after the next Android update then you will be able to install it on the eMMC and boot CE from an SD, just not the other way round.

OK tnx, works for me…

FYI, I’ve updated Petitboot which is a bit more promising to boot CE and other OS. Still needs some work, some of you would try. :slight_smile:
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=33873#p259843

Read your new posts on 201906-RC3, and it’s more and more promising with every new version.
Waiting for new uSD cards I ordered to arrive (have none left to experiment) to give it a try.

For Petitboot update or new OS installation?

Technically the internal firwmare (BL1) if you want to call it that. anways part of that small bit of code reads a couple of pins and bases its order of attempts on that. The cpu is setup to go to a specific memory location on power on that reset vector is to that small bit of firmware that is masked into the fab process, usually you need to jtag to retrieve it, but essentially it cant be altered,

So to alter the order is a board level adjustment of a couple of pins to set the order you want.

just thought i throw that out …

Interesting bit of information but I just tried the latest petitboot and CE can boot from USB with it. :scream:

1 Like

@tobetter, just wanted to say hi and welcome, good to see HK represented here for benefit to us consumers.

Let me express my kudos on the N2 and CoreELEC. I must say it’s getting harder and harder these days to find finely engineered consumer electronics like these. Really enjoying these two products.

@CraigHB Thanks a lot and glad to know you are enjoying the life with N2 + CE. :heart_eyes: