N2 Boot Sequence

Thanks @Sholander, after fooling around for 2 hours trying different sd formats, searching web your guide worked flawless, I had version 20190627 installed so that was to old update the “easy” way apparently, thanks again.

Latest Petitboot image to use is version 20191127; download “Upgrade image” from here

Thanks, yes that’s the one I got installed “the old way” after seeing your post.

The latest Petitboot solves the problem I was having with garbled text.

Shoog

Hi all, im having a problem.

I am wanting to boot CoreElec from my MMC, and batocera from an SD card.

Only petiboot is only seeing the batocera card, i have to manual more the switch for mmc or sd?

Should obviously say i updated it as for some reason it started throwing errors.

The right address for your question is here where you can communicate directly with developer of PetitBoot.

Petitboot has a bug in the last two versions. try rolling back to the October version.

Shoog

Yeah just tried latest version, and that now does not even boot at all ?, ill just wait for an update thanks.

Is there any other working option for this, i really dont like it.

Hi, please how can I change the boot priority in odroid n2+ ??
looking for your reply, please.
I will appreciate any information.

With Petitboot, you can boot from any OS you want.
What is your version of Petitboot?
On the Petitboot screen, you can exit the shell and update with pb-update.

hello please i want to change the priority of N2 to boot on SD Card first instead of emmc (emmc empty) it is possible ?
NB: I cannot use petitboot, my switch it is blocked on emmc/sd side

On CoreELEC the boot priority is like this, except the bootloader from eMMC get loaded first, then uSD Kernel.

Hi @Sholander,

Can you give-me some hints with dualboot on n2?
I have installed ubuntu on SD card and it’s working great.

I would like to have also coreelec, on a usb pen drive or with a usb sd card reader.
And I would like to automatic boot to coreelec when I have the usb drive ou usb card reader and when I have nothing connected it would boot to ubuntu.

Thanks for your help

All this that you want is possible using “Petitboot” installed on SPI memory and using the SPI switch on the N2. As I understand boot priority on N2 is: uSD card, back USB ports and last eMMC. Boot priorities can be selected in Petitboot configuration.
Since Petitboot maintainer can be contacted on this link, I suggest you contact him for proper Petitboot version needed, and all further help and information.

1 Like

I believe you should be able to configure the boot sequence of your media with petitboot, having the switch on the front the N2 set to SPI instead of MMC (there is picture at the top of linked article below showing the switch I’m referring to. The process is described on the Odroid N2 Wiki:

https://wiki.odroid.com/getting_started/petitboot/os_installation_using_otg#set_autoboot

You’ll need a keyboard, but if you’re using Ubuntu I imagine you already do.

2 Likes

Thanks @Sholander and @kshi for all your answers.
I don’t have a keyboard, I only use ubuntu for ssh access.
But I will get a keyboard and try to discover the option’s on Petitboot.
Thanks once again for your time

Best of luck! :grin:

1 Like

You can change the Petitboot boot priority.
Keyboard is not required for Petitboot, you can switch with BT or Wifi remote control. If your remote has air-mouse capability, it should be turned off.
For CoreElec, SSD is also a good option, faster than eMMC and uSD.

Just jumping back in to this thread.

I still have Petitboot (dev.20201020) installed. Gave up on it.

Trying to update to Petitboot (dev.20220317).

Tried the upgrade file, and the recovery file on a fat32 8gb

Refuses to do anything and keeps booting to dev.20201020

any ideas?

Did you try to update from Petitboot shell with command “pb-update”? Naturally net must function for this method.

Otherwise download “spiupdate_odroidn2_20211112.img.xz” and “spiboot-20220317.img” from: odroid-n2:os_images:petitboot [ODROID Wiki].

Burn “spiupdate_odroidn2_20211112.img” with Etcher to 32bit formatted uSD card.
After the image is burned uSD card will contain an old version of spiboot.img.

Rename downloaded “spiboot-20220317.img” to “spiboot.img” and with it replace the old “spiboot.img” version on uSD card.

Remove eMMC and any USB disks/sticks from N2, insert uSD card, put the SPI switch in left position and turn on the power; update will start automatically.
This method always works.