Nightly builds (NEW)

One thing comes to my mind, C2 operates ondemand scaling governor, with CPU minimum 100 Mhz:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
100000 1838550
250000 57414847
500000 36014397
1000000 2139583
1296000 0
1536000 4647199

For some reason (does anyone knows why?) S905x3 lacks ondemand

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
interactive performance schedutil

but furthermore, default NG scaling governor is performance. Which is always maxed out. Default cpu min is 667MHz. I will try interactive mode at min 100Mhz (simulates C2’s conditions) and see how it will go.

Ondemand works great on C2, hopefully we can use S905*3 happily without performance mode, which is for my usage really overkill (24/7, movie or series time to time, so really not CPU intensive operations, considering HW decode).

Not sure though, if those are only factor that X96+ng is so hot against C2+3.14.

For complete post i add I read 912 temperature thread, although I cant test S912 architecture. I just want to setup similiar chillout temperature as on C2/Rpi2 platform with NG :slight_smile:

GUI performance suffers if you change the CPU governor, it’s set to performance because most are running 4K GUI as S922X came before X2/X3 support and it handles 4K GUI with relative ease.

Also the on-demand governor is disabled in the kernel config and that’s why you don’t see it.

Yes the temps are higher with performance but again the N2 came first and N2 users outweigh the el cheapo boxes that people are now choosing to buy and the N2 doesn’t suffer from the same thermal issues.

1 Like

I didnt see any GUI performance drawbacks with ondemand on C2, so I guess its just fine… Also didnt run 4K GUI, so I dont neet to stress that little box more than needed :slight_smile: (especially 24/7)

Is there particular reason for disabling ondemand? I would like to try it… I am planning test avaible interactive, but when I know that ondemand works just fine (no stutters on videos, etc., described on S912@interactive), why hassle :slight_smile:

We didn’t disable it, it’s just not enabled.

Well, from perspective long term user, going from 9.0/3.14 into 9.2/4.9-ng its a change… Especially when default was ondemand before. (and still is in mixed infrastructure).

I understand for some use cases (N2, turned ON/OFF constantly on 4K display) could be performance better choice. But as you make software for wider and wider audience (S905x3/S905D3) in time, and also considering 24/7 boxes with HW decoding and no compute-demanding tasks… For example, 1080 video, HW accelerated decoding on C2 - CPU is on 500Mhz and no stuttering at all.

I dont have much problems with changing default governor behauviour, if I understand background and have option to choose whatever governor fits user case need better.
I am just glad that I remember to this, when I was surprised by higher temps with (new for me) ng build and new (for me) box. I really hope that ondemand will work the same as on 3.14 kernel, so all will be happy, “performance” users or not :slight_smile:

I will try compile ng version with ondemand enabled and try it. I read in linux-amlogic/Documentation/android.txt that ondemand is recommended by default, but I want to be sure, so I asked here, if there is something else behind “now not enabled governor mode”, which I should be aware of.

So far (idling on interactive, not really testing playing etc.) seems that temperature drops, at least from 52 to 48 on idle. Its not exactly stock Android values, but it could be that governor affects those temps in benchmark and heatsink is arguably less warm.

I have plan to stick external heatsink (accidentaly bigger than in case VIM3L and C2, as I have some from old graphics cards), but If I got similiar temperatures @X96 (in future with Khadas + heat plate) as on C2 with similiar heatsink as on C2, I will be very happy. But I think software-side (governor/?) should be matched previous setup, to make conclusions about “this new device needs bigger heatsink than my C2”…

You can take a risk that It would be supported and install it by passing the -x parameter along with that command.

" Unsupported devices:
With the parameter x the ceemmc tool can be used for not by Team CoreELEC official supported devices. Any support request for not official supported devices will be ignored.

This is because Team CoreELEC does not own every device on the market available and so we can not confirm the tool function with the unsupported device!

Be warned: the tool maybe brick your device!"

I tested amremote vs meson-ir with my NEC remote on NG (X96). I can feel slightly better reliability, with amremote. Which surprise me, because 3.14 C2 I cannot spot difference. Now I a bit understand, why some people wrote amremote feels better. They propably use other platform than me on C2.

I will use amremote for ng for now (thanks guys a lot for implementing it!, although its not as versatile as meson-ir) as I am happy to have NEC protocol remote, but my question is:

Would be possible that not all fine-tuning / patches was ported from HK 3.14 kernel into ng one? Or what causing this difference on ng?

I remember @cdu13a did some improvements on meson-ir back days, but I dont see deeper into ng development process.

But difference is there - not a big, but I am surprised that its not present on C2 amremote vs meson IR.

the difference between meson-ir and amremote is very noticeable on N2 (for me).
amremote is much snappier.

Is HDR to SDR suppose to work fully, or not yet?
I have only SDR TV, but when I tested a few 4K HDR samples, one (LG New York HDR UHD 4K Demo.ts) has good colours, others (like LG 4K HDR Demo - Daylight.mkv) are greyed… (S905x3)

1 Like

That seems to be the way with most devices.

@anon88919003 did you see my comment?
something must be different/broken in nightly builds because A52@1992MHz is working in 9.2.1

No it doesn’t work as hoped yet (I too have 4K non HDR TV) but as has been said elsewhere, HDR to SDR is an AMLogic implementation and so it is for them to come up with a more satisfactory solution.

It has been evident that the same issue exists in Android too.

So the bottom line as I see things right now is if you want HDR, you need to buy a new TV.

I personally don’t hold up much hope in AMLogic doing anything to assist.

Thank you for confirmation. Maybe it would be good to add note “This conversion didnt work for all files/formats/systems.” to the description of this option. I mean the text on the bottom of the screen which describes function. This would prevent any further confusion and not necessary questions? :slight_smile:

Load the module first:

modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
2 Likes

Thank you, I didnt realize this… So I compiled whole linux for two days to test it :sweat_smile: But it is very good point for other guys which would like to try it :slight_smile:

I use HDR2SDR with my N2 and my non-HDR 4K LG-TV. On my TV I defined an Expert2-picture setting,
which maximized the contrast (100%) and turn up the brightness (compared to normal SDR-view settings).
This TV-setting corrects the ‘HDR-picture is too dark on N2’ problem a little bit.

With this setting a HDR movie is not as good as a ‘real’ HDR-picture could be,
but the movie is viewable (more or less).

When viewing a HDR-movie I have to select this Expert2-setting on my TV.
With SDR-movies I use the Expert1-setting (standard profile)

1 Like

Problem with ethernet, low speed, image freeze. X96Max Plus2, Firmware CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-nightly_20200123

I have an X96Air P3 S905x3, one issue is that the after resumming
from suspend the TV screen is blank, otherwise the box seems to work okay (i.e ssh etc)
I’ve tried this on two TV’s same result, however I tried the on a PC monitor and it works fine?.

I’ve tried to capacture a log http://ix.io/28ju

Can this be fixed?

For some reason the box likes to boot headless if maybe the TV or receiver is off.

X96 Max 4G/64G/1G with Android X96Max_V311_P_20190722-1449 running Nightly_20200123-Odroid_N2 boots up with a strange turquoise color and use_rgb_to_yuv has no efect on it.

The box is working fine with Coreelec Stable 9.2.1 from another card with all the “dinghies” (remote, vfd, network, wifi, CEC, power-on) working except bluethooth and injected with Bl301 from the stable 9.2.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!