Nightly builds (NEW)

It is not blocked in 1908 and does not descend due to the temperature, in idle I have only 54 gr Celius.
Before this setting is available in the Kodi interface, I used that
#! / Bin / sh
(
echo ‘ondemand’> / sys / devices / system / cpu / cpufreq / policy0 / scaling_governor
) &
and it was functioning normally, that is, it was 667 in idle, with short times when the frequency was increasing. When watching movies the frequency oscillates between min and max, as was normal for the wave.
Now it rarely happens to fall below 1908, even in idles.
Can anyone tell me how to change and remain the value 100 in up_threshold? I don’t want to convince anyone that this is right or wrong, I just wish I could change that value. I would like to keep the processor cooler without additional heatsinks and no holes in the X96 box.
Thanks.

Put that script into .config/autostart.sh and it will run at boot.

Thank you for answering lbernstone, but no need for this script in the autostart, it is setting in coreelec / hardware to activate ondemand governor.
I think it is better to seek help in the topic Cooling CPU in software S905X2/S922?, here are some other small problems to solve.
Multumesc.

Not sure this is the right place for this, I posted in feature requests too.
I have Kodi running with a screensaver cause I sometimes fall asleep and don’t want burn-ins on my TV.
I have the updates set to manual.
Last night I fell asleep and didn’t turn off the TV and when I woke up I saw the “update available” pop up overlaying the screensaver.
This isn’t very good when you try to avoid burn-in. Can it be set to not do that?

Think it’s disabled by devs for nightly builds.

hi adam

could you maybe take a look at Iptv: one channel is stuttering, all others work / stream stalled in log ?
maybe i did something wrong so no one is answering me and i don’t see it.

i am pretty lost atm - i love that channel (it has no ads and good movies).
can you maybe help me? thanks in advance!

I think it is this commit

Personally, I am using old ondemand defaults, as I found they works better for me on my use-cases C2 and VIM3L. I also found not necessary longer times on higher CPU values than before with new defaults.

Regarding up threshold, you could try something like:
echo XX > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/up_threshold

related valuesto that commit which I found could be:
NEW:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/io_is_busy    				1
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/up_threshold  				50
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/sampling_rate 				100000
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/sampling_down_factor 50

OLD:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/io_is_busy    				0
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/up_threshold  				90
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/sampling_rate 				50000
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/ondemand/sampling_down_factor 1

It is unfeasible to use the nigthly of 28 in x96 air. Easily reach 75 degrees and restart. It was not so high in the previous ones
I have the Governor on demand. Could you download the one from day 25?

Thanks Jimmy for the answer, you’re right. With the old values it works better. I managed to change up threshold through autostart with the command written by you but with sleep 40. I wrote that it was solved in this topic Cooling CPU in software S905X2/S922? . I thought it’s better to move the discussion there, here I think it was enough feedback for nightly build relationship with this.

How do you manage to use old values for ondemand after updating? All through autostart.sh?

I would run the official release if I were you.

@timfolk I will have a look at this issue.

thanks adamg.
TheCoolest suggested it might be my screensaver addon (I’m not using the default Kodi one). The popup doesn’t disable the screensaver, it overlays it. He also said it should only appear for a few seconds.
For now I disabled notifications. I’m not trigger happy anyway.

I think the official doesn’t have fan control for Vim3. Nightly I believe also fixed issues with some skipped frames in certain types of x265 videos. Other than this minor issue the nightlies are pretty solid for me.

@borza @JimmyS the on-demand governor changes have been reverted, will move configuration for this to the CE-settings addon at some point too.

thank you adam. I’ll try after next update.

Hello,
After the update to 20200302, the governor seems to be working correctly on vim3 and X96max S905x3 too. Good job!
Unfortunately on X96 the temperature reaches 82 Celsius after 40 minutes of 4k h265 / 60hz movie play due to the poor cooling and ventilation system, even in ondemand mode. In performance it heats up even faster. I do not think it will escape without a destructive intervention of the housing.
Thanks.

These new boxes are totally inadequately cooled. At 81c they are thermally throttling. They need active cooling.

Coreelec developers will not make special provision for badly designed boxes. The coreelec gold standard is the N2 which will stay at below 40c out of the box at maximum settings.

Shoog

He he! Modding level one ( nondestructive) in progress!

Adding heatsinks like this without active cooling will get you nowhere. Find a four inch fan and solder a USB plug onto it and sit the box on top of it.

Shoog

I would disagree. Well, at least it depends on heatsink, but I dont think active is need for those… With correct ondemand Ive got max something like 52 (4k max, usualy around 48), and idling at 39-40 with passives.

Anyway, I wont comment this anymore here as its offtopic :slight_smile: