Nightly builds (NEW)

That’s unfortunate… I remember there were plans to support it though right? Is this still the case?

Only my opinion, but by the time this kernel is ready for stable, I don’t think there will be any use porting it to legacy devices like the S905x. I have one and the older kernel works great, I don’t see what you’d be achieving by using the newer kernel on it. These boards are cheap, I bought a N2 and can recommend it.

I’m happy with my s905, I’ll stick with it for the next few years for sure. I’m just curious about the new kernel that’s all

i had a big red screen when rebooting and did not see any upgrade progress/logo of CE/etc.
so i added use_rgb_to_yuv=0
now the screen is black when i reboot but still see no information, no logo, etc.

I get the same screen. X96 Air S905x3, 4g/64g 100M ethernet dual band wifi. Tried both sm1_s905x3 dtbs.

My model as reported by CPU-Z is X96Air_P1 (franklin).

The issue is that the bootloader is not set to output to your TV’s native screen resolution and so until CE takes direct control of the screen you see nothing. I get the same on my N2.

Shoog

@DroiDMester @ukmark62 @wangyu1314 S905X3 support is not ready yet, it will be announced when it is.

@kostaman yes I forgot to mention that KVIM3L can now be updated with nightlies.

1 Like

is it possible to configure the resolution in the bootloader?

I don’t think it would be that easy.
Looking into using the modeline setting in the N2 config.ini

Shoog

Do your plans include s905 at some point too?

S905 is not compatible with the 4.9 kernel, Amlogic removed it as it is now EOL and discontinued.

S905D/X/W and S912 is possible.

2 Likes

So it’s bye bye…I see.

We will still support it with the 3.14 kernel and to be honest it runs perfectly with it, there is nothing to be gained from running a more recent kernel.

2 Likes

Not really bye bye since the 3.14 kernel can be kept alive indefinitely on those platforms. I would imagine as time goes on the maintenance burden will grow as the kernels diverge more and more. However there is no announcement that 3.14 support is been dropped and to the end user you should see almost no difference. I would be inclined to stick to stable releases though.

My plan is to relegate the VIM2 running S912 to server duty (TVH and SMB), and get a faster version as the main client.

Shoog

1 Like

@Shoog using custom modes via modeline in the config.ini has not been enabled for the new kernel yet. There are a couple features like this that are currently missing that will make their way to the new kernel soon, it just hasn’t happened yet because the amount of effort that it has taken to get the basic stuff working.

2 Likes

I am currently with the latest 14 nightly, in my normal use I haven’t seen any problem, all is working fine.

I have need to modify le rgb yuv line on the config.ini because the colours, and hyperion.ng only captures the GUI but I’ve read it’s a problem with amvideocap0 and it will be corrected.

Great work!

Same here.
Installed nightly build on uSD card and booted on my vim3l and everything except RC seems to work.

RC is not configured on new builds, that is the users responsibility, the pre-installed image on the VIM3L already had it configured but as you have done a fresh install then now you have to configure it.

Just played around with the CEC settings and very happy to report that the VIM3L HTPC Version is able to Suspend and Power off with these settings enabled.
The box also Powers ON and Wakes from SUSPEND when these settings are enabled.
NOTE: When TV is Powered on, the box does not automatically wake or power on if the TV HDMI source is using the Vim3l .
You simply toggle to another HDMI source and then Back to the Vim3L HDMI source and the box will Wake from suspend or power on whichever you have set in CEC settings. :wink:
Pretty much don’t need this remote at all.

Just to add my VIM3Pro does not Wake or Power on using the same CEC settings.
The stock remote does work.