Nightly builds

Then you’re agreeing with me.
All the rest about me not liking frequent updates / wanting cake is in your head.

The only complaint here is that the gui doesn’t reflect what happens (ie auto-updates).
Me wanting control of my own system is completely separate - obviously developers are free to impose updates, and I’m free to use nightlies / not use them / avoid updates.

Edit: I just blocked access to coreelec from my N2 using the router firewall. No more updates. Yay!
You can do the same. Whenever you need to download an update, you can disable the rule and update or you can download on a different computer and transfer via ftp/samba.

You are being unreasonable. @relkai please add a warning at the nighlies website. If you want we can make a download page asking for your consent. If you don’t agree with the update policy you are free to not use nightlies. It’s as simple as that. How can you claim it’s forced when it was you who installed it?

A force would be if I come to your house and install CE even if you don’t want it. Don’t be ridiculous.

2 Likes

It is fine, unless it intentional, which is the case here.

Is that to me?

No, to me.
I had written a long rant, then thought better of it and edited it but he read it before it was edited.

Lol. Ok lets talk. I don’t want to alienate users.

Would it be acceptable if we auto update after a week? I really don’t think there is a point running really old nightlies!
Because it is a support burden.

That is what is happening, just virtually. I bought something which works fine for me and everything you keep changing what I bought and keep disturbing me. “It is a free update” Please do not disturb me. I am happy with whatever I have. Just do not disturb. Every damn day in the morning it keeps on bugging me: “Here I am. New and shiny.” Please go away. I don’t want it.

I am not saying all the above to you, @Ray, just to your nightly updates. Please go away.

I don’t think it is. With N2 I do not have a choice. I have spent $150 and it works well, so I don’t want to give up. Yours is the only software so I don’t have a choice.

If I tell you it is what it is and the alternative is to uninstall CoreELEC would you be happy? Your messages are very disrespectful to the constant work we are doing.

It is a support burden because when users report bugs on old nightlies it’s quite likely it’s already fixed. Development is very fast and we do that only for the users no one else. There is no financial benefit or whatever.

I agree that it is disrespectful, but I think what you guys have done is also disrespectful to your users. I only reboot my N2 may be once a month or once a week. Now every hour, there is a loud noise with “Update available.” It is driving me crazy.

The only thing that I have spoken against in the forum is “Please do not force auto updates.” That is all.

We can fix the message. It should not bug.

I think we are going to stop doing nightlies. If this thought to be disrespectful we might not do those at all.

I can only speak for myself here…
I won’t use anything that auto-updates if I can’t disable them. Doesn’t matter whether it updates every hour or every month, it’s my system. In this case it’s trivial to disable, so no issue for me personally. My only - reluctant - exception to that is windows 10.
I’ve no problem with you nagging me on every reboot - ‘You’re running an old nightly trogggy, why are you so stupid? Would you like to update now?’ In fact I’d probably update more often if you did that.

Again, I really appreciate the work that you do for free. I really like that you introduced Entware which is a lifesaver for me as I had to manually install software that I wanted.

But sometimes, it makes sense to not change the behavior that the users are used to for past 5-6 years of using the software. I have been using ELEC since 2014-15. So, it is really annoying to me after getting used to something for so long. I would not have used nightlies but with N2 I don’t have a choice. When anyone is annoyed by something, it is hard to be grateful.

Not doing nightlies is not a solution in my book. If someone is willing to give it a go, I think you should allow it. Do not take it personally, @Ray , I am thankful for this software. It is just that I don’t agree with forced auto-updates, I never will.

I think nightlies will change. I think you made your point. We will not do public nightlies anymore. It will be for a selective group of people who wants to contribute to CoreELEC. I realize now that nightlies is not for normal users.

1 Like

You can use the official builds we offer for the N2 afaik they don’t auto update.

OK. Thanks. I will. Good day to you @Ray. I am sorry if I said something that was hurtful.