Nightly builds

Just updated to Nightly using CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-nightly_20191102, updating from CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-nightly_20191101 on my A95X Max, copying the .tar file to the .update directory.

Upon rebooting, I get an error at the CE Splash screen.

switch_root can’t execute /usr lib/systemd no such file or directory

Then a couple or so more lines, the second starting with kernel panic.

Then it boots again, where there is no further activity, just a blank screen.

I’ll wait and see if others have the same issue in order to see if this is specific to me before looking further into things.

UPDATE:

Just applied the CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2-nightly_20191102 update from CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2-nightly_20191101 on my S912 and there is a screen full of errors on the CE splash screen, too many to record but all seem to be related to each CPU core.

One box failure might just be bad luck but 2 would indicate an issue with the update.

I’ll take a pic with my phone and upload but in the mean time I would recommend pulling the update(s).

An interesting twist with the S912 box.

I decided to start again and flashed a USB stick with 20191101, booted it on the box, which went well.

Received a prompt to ask if I wanted to download an update, to which I said no.

Ran the installtointernal command twice, as I have done to this box before, removed the stick and rebooted.

Waited and waited and received the same screen of errors from an eMMC boot.

This seemed odd, so I booted the USb stick again and upon booting it decided to install the update that I had previously refused and as such, the external installation failed after the reboot with the same errors.

So it seems that on this occasion, the update is happening automatically.

I’m going to start again but this time restore my backup to the USB stick before running installtointernal to ensure that the previous settings did not permit an automatic download of updates if refused and see how I get on.

Update:

Changed auto update to manual upon first boot from USB flash but could not seem to do it in time to prevent the update being downloaded, so I SSH into the box and deleted the update tar.

Final Update:

S912 now back up and running.
A95X Max also up and running after I removed the boot SSD, extracted the 20191101 tar and copied the system and kernel over to the Corelec partition, overwriting the existing entries.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem with the update on my Odroid N2.

in my GTK, the problem is the same…what can i do ?

Same here. S912. How to restore box?
Solved. Replaced kernel and system from release tar.

Yes, last nightly don’t boot on N2

Yep last night was a spanner in the works. Boot loop on reboot.
Fortunately only got my N2.

Shoog

So to get back to functional state, any way to make N2 boot coreelec from usb stick?

Just extract kernel and system files from previous nightly version and use PC to replace them on USB or sd card

Fixed for me (S912 / K12)

• My coreelec is in external USB
  • On your computer plug the USB
  • Download previous (nightly_2019110)
  • extract : KERNEL / KERNEL.md5 from folder target
  • copy (replace) on USB those files.
  • reboot
  • I apply again the update (to be more ‘clean’) = copy the CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2-nightly_20191101.tar

Not a solution for emmc install.

Shoog

Getting file type error for kernel with usb boot. I guess only solution is to buy an emmc reader

It is on N2 because you can remove the emmc as an sd card or usb stick.

Only if you have an emmc adapter, otherwise not.

Shoog

Who cannot afford 1.5 USD? I thought every N2 owner has this:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/emmc-module-reader-board-for-os-upgrade/

I always intended this as a one of install so an emmc reader was considered not a necessity.

Shoog

You can use it for the first time too. :slight_smile: Cheaper than buying an sd card which you will not use anymore.

Not a productive discussion.

Going to have to reinstall by the looks of things, which in itself is not straightforward since the N2 fails to detect my Samsung screen resolution in petitboot so you have to boot blindly.

Shoog

My fears have come true. The update nightly 20191101? with CoreELEC for Mecool KIII Pro (S912) in the internal memory has caused the impossibility of booting the system. I have returned to the stable version 9.2.0 from a USB flash, I have installed CoreELEC in the internal memory, and I have recovered my last backup.

Ok, coreelec boot nicely from microsd. Can i access the “faulty” emmc from this corelec install?

Yes if you boot the SD and then list the partitions using “df”.

Shoog