Odroid N2 and true 4K GUI

Cheating with the resolution is a bad idea.
The picture viewer shows the pictures at the gui resolution now, so you can see the pictures at 4k resolution. On S905 and S912 you see it only in fullhd resolution. Same for fanart. It would be stupid to ruin that for a few more fps. If you want more fps stay at fullhd.

No… That’s just asking to much of the hardware you need a desktop class GPU to run a Kodi GUI at 4K60. The Intel machine I’ve been using is a N3450 mini pc with HDMI 1.4 so it only supports 4K30 anyway so the N2 4K GUI speed is a step up.

For normal day to day use when scrolling through menus I’ve never really been bothered by the GUI not running at 60fps, I very rarely fast scroll through menus.

1 Like

Well as I said the 4K GUI is perfectly usable. I would not look at fps data to be honest. The is no lagging. When you set GUI to 4K 24hz fps will be 24fps too. What is the point to have GUI all the time at 60FPS other than to benchmark it?

Why would you set GUI to 4K24P?

1 Like

So you don’t have the refreshrate change for 24p

@Bindou I did the same experiment with 1080p60 like in the video and the fps showing the same behavior. Tried Movie cover scrolling too and it is always the same no matter if 1080p or 2160p at 60Hz regarding FPS.

1 Like

I don’t understand why would you run GUI at 24p to avoid refresh rate changes? Obviously if you run it at 24Hz, you’ll max out at 24FPS since we’re using vsync, and GUI will run like a slideshow.

I run my GUI at 1080p50, and I use the Estuary skin.
I did not see any FPS dips no matter what I did in GUI.
But anyway, I don’t really see any point in this discussion.

• Everyone will agree that lower resolution will, in most cases, perform better than higher resolution. Even if you can’t feel the difference.
    Especially when at 4K you’re pushing x4 the amount of pixels than at 1080P.
  • 4K GUI performance is not bad, it’s just not as smooth as 1080P GUI.
  • We are not going to add support for VESA resolutions.
1 Like

I can not reproduce it here cause even on 1080p50 I have the same dips. I don’t know how you are testing this? Debug overlay FPS is known to not be reliable.

1 Like

Just tested it again. Now I compared 1080p and 2160p at 50Hz. Maybe you are comparing 1080p50 with 2160p60?

1 Like

“We will not add support for VESA resolutions.”

It’s not about that. If the native resolution is 2560 x 1440 Upscal to 4k (3,840 × 2,160), output the TV will receive the normal definition 4K.

(I do not want to be insistent, just clarify my thoughts.)
The job of devs is already great. Thank you.

I don’t really see a point in limiting GUI to 2560x1440. 4K works OK if you want quality, or you can set it to 1080P if you want speed.

The interest is to have the same fluidity (60fps) with the 1080p interface, while enjoying more finesse 1440p.

A volunteer to do a comparative video between 1080p and 4k with framerate display? (4k60p scrolling in GUI with debug log, a lot of covers on the screen)

You can do it when you get your N2.

Yes, we can always do everything ourselves. If you do not want to, I understand, but maybe a nice person would not be bothered to share this. (otherwise, yes, you’re right, I’ll wait)

It will be a long wait, I suspect…

1 Like

You haven’t even got your box but you already started complain for a non existent issue…

That’s his modus vivendi :wink:

Who is complaining ?

You: “Yes, we can always do everything ourselves. If you do not want to” is coplaining to developers.

Thank you for respecting the sentence as a whole. I say that I understand, of course, this is not a problem.