Odroid N2 HDD Speedtest

I have a USB 3.0 hard drive connected to the Odroid N2 to test how fast I can send a 1 GB file over the network (LAN).
and I have to say, I’m a bit disappointed

The top speed was 2.5 Mbit / s
does it happen that I use an SD card instead of Emmc?
Emmc is currently in operation elsewhere

Would be nice if a few people still share their speed

CoreElec - 05052019
Emmc or SD Card
Speed Max - 2,5Mb/s

thanks

What would you like to test?
Ethernet or USB speed?

@kampfader, can you describe how you performed your test?
Was this a file copy under the File Manager?
A linux file copy from an SSH session?
When copying files you always have to be careful which end of the connection you are testing. For this reason you commonly try to make the end you are not testing as fast as possible to minimize its effect on results.
For example, if you are transferring your data out from the test system to another, you might direct the output on the uninteresting destination to a RAM disk or /dev/null to minimize its impact.
Similarly, when you are testing the destination, you try to eliminate the source contribution by using a source RAM disk or /dev/zero.
Doing both tests is particularly useful when you have a performance problem but you don’t know whether it is at one end or both.

I assume you mean 2.5MByte/sec? If it was actually 2.5MBit/sec you’d REALLY be having problems.

Even at 2.5MByte/sec it sounds like you’re sending to / from a Wireless N device on a very congested network.

I get rock steady 23-25 MByte/sec (about 200MBit/sec) both ways over Wireless AC to / from my N2’s USB Hard Drive. (via my router - Wifi from router to PC, wired from router to N2)

I have a Mecool KIII Pro with S912 processor with a SSD hard drive (USB 3.0 box) connected to a USB 2.0 port and the speeds to copy a 1 GB file from disk to disk with the Kodi File Manager:

1 GB less than 54 seconds

Taking into account that in the copying operation the data passes twice through the USB 2.0 port (SSD-> USB2.0-> RAM-> USB2.0-> SSD), the average real speed of read / write is:

(1000 MB / 54) x 2 = 37 MB / s

That is, the speed is the maximum that allows a USB 2.0 port.

i check my lan cable and see, the lan is disabled :crazy_face: i connecting/enable now the cable

i copy one .avi file from and to box over “WinScp”, I have not tested any other way…

i have now these speed

From N2 --> PC = 36Mb/s
PC --> To N2 = 39Mb/s

this value is displayed to me in Winscp, I do not know if it should still be calculated
1 GB less than ~25 seconds

The speed is always determined by the slower interface.

In your case the slowest interface may be the USB port or the speed of the network. In theory, a USB 2.0 port has a speed limitation of 35 MB/s. Obviously the SATA interface of your PC’s hard drive has a very high speed and a hard drive too.

That’s much better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have now switched to emmc (installtoemms) and have a rate of 80Mb/s

Germany

bin jetzt auf emmc umgestiegen (installtoemms) und habe eine rate von 80Mb/s

German

mit der nightly von 01.05.19, was ich gerade verwende, habe ich diese rate?

Kopieren von N2 HDD USB3.0 --> DDWRT Router --> PC (LAN) — Max 103 MB/s
andersherum komme ich auf max. 47 MB/s
es war eine 1,9GB .mkv datei
Diese werte wurden mir wären dem Kopiervorgang im Win10 angezeigt.

with the nightly of 01.05.19, what i’m using right now, i have this rate?

Copy from N2 HDD USB3.0 -> DDWRT router -> PC (LAN) — Max 103 MB / s
the other way round, I come to max. 47 MB / s
it was a 1,9GB .mkv file
These values were shown to me when copying on/from Win10.

8 bits in a byte, so 64Mbit/s = 8MByte/s

I would grant you that 10 bits per byte remains a good approximation of the efficiency of transmission from raw bits to usable bytes, though only asynchronous serial communication follows the pattern you described.

However, this is a discussion of disk IO and only bytes (not bits) are relevant. No disk speed tool reports results in bits/sec.

The efficiency of the protocol is not a serious issue on a nominally 5 Gb/s USB3 link with devices that can only hit rates on the close order of 100 MB/s, such as your magnetic disk drives. USB2 was different in that performance was well below the 10 bits to the byte effective rate, coming closer to 16 bits to the byte in practice, i.e. 30MB/s from 480Mb/s.

I agree with you, when @kampfader said 80 Mb/s wanted to say 80 MB/s

You’re still only copying / moving 8 bits per byte from one machine to the other though.

The fact that a serial transmission medium can operate at a speed of, for example, 80 Mbps (fiber, DSL, USB, etc.) does not mean that it is capable of transmitting 10 MBps, it will always be lower. I always use speed_bytes = speed_bits/10 approach.

Do you allow me to continue using this approach?

Note: For similar reasons in WiFi transmissions I use speed_bytes = link_speed_bits / 20

Of course!! You can use 375 bits to the byte if you like.

The post was originally about how much data you can transfer per second from one machine to the other. If you can transfer 80 Mbits per second you can transfer 10 MBytes per second.

This is a meaningless discussion, you know as well as I do when talking about speed in bits refers to gross speed, and when talking about speed in bytes refers to net speed

That’s fine, you must be delighted with your 5G wifi which can transfer 867 Mbit/sec then, mine can only do about 200.

Just a different way of looking at things.

I have no interest in 5G technology, it only serves the interests of governments and large companies for the recognition of people and vehicles :rofl:

What does 5G have to do with wifi? That’s two different things.

In any case my gigabit wifi can get 100 mbyte/s tranfers, but only under ideal conditions where there’s no other utilization and the computer is close to the station.

Wifi speed on my network drops down quite a bit if there’s more than one computer transferring large files or if distance to the station becomes large. The hardlines are still much better for shared utilization.