Odroid N2 OLED I2C / SPI driver

Working perfectly here on both SSD1306 I2C and SSD1309 SPI displays.

Don’t forget for SPI displays everytime you update CoreELEC you need to reactivate SPI.

mount -o remount,rw /flash
fdtput -t s /flash/dtb.img /soc/cbus@ffd00000/spi@13000/spidev@0 status "okay"
fdtput -t s /flash/dtb.img /soc/cbus@ffd00000/spi@13000 status "okay"
reboot

Indeed, it was coincident with a new CoreELEC version, works perfectly, really sorry for the misslead

1 Like

No problem, glad it’s working :+1:

It seems that the update is not automatic to new versions, even if the option is enabled in the configuration menu.

No, add-on updates are only automatic if they are installed from a repo.

I don’t have a repo so the add-on can only be updated manually by downloading the new zip from github and installing.

This looks great, roidy!!

I recently started a thread regarding an OLED front panel display, hoping to be able to leverage mpd_oled for a spectrum display:

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/graphical-front-panel-display/12932

Your information display looks great, though, and would be a fine alternative (if I can’t figure out a path for audio data and getting the FFT accomplished).

Three hopefully quick questions for you, roidy…

• Does the addon support SSD1309-based displays? The github page README only mentions SSD1306 and SH1106, but I see commits mentioning the SSD1309.

• Is the SSD1309 support for SPI only or would it also work with an I2C device?

• What exactly are the mechanics of installing a service add-on in Kodi? Would I just place a copy, straight from github in, say, the download directory and (via Kodi’s gui) add it from there? If I want to try out changes, can I edit files in place or do I need to re-install the service?

I’m impressed that the addon is solely in Python. Hopefully, I can figure out if all of the requisite (OS level) supporting /dev files are present for the Odroid C2/C4.

Thanks!
Matt

1. Yes. SSD1306 and SH1106 are only supported using I2C and SSD1309 is only supported using SPI. Mainly because those were the only displays I had at hand to test with.

2. Yes, SSD1309 support is only SPI. But I2C could probably be added.

3. Yes, exactly the same as installing any other kind of add-on. Download the zip file from github and in Kodi use the install from zip option. Once installed changes can be made in place, no need to keep reinstalling, however you do need to go to the add-ons info page and disable and re-enable it for the changes to reload.

Thanks, @roidy, particularly for the details on the mechanics.

Yes, SSD1309 support is only SPI. But I2C could probably be added.

I could help out with that. Since the Odroid C2 doesn’t have hardware SPI, I ordered an I2C SSD1309 display. Once that arrives, with some help from you obviously, I can try out the associated changes.

If the pattern of changes (same controller, different interface) is obvious, I can also try to discern what the changes are myself.

Cheers,
Matt

Matrix Python 3 version released :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the update.
I have a 2.42 "i2c oled-display, how do I remove the bezel around the indicators showing the audio and video information.
When viewed from a distance, the images blend into each other and cannot be understood.
This is the case for my old eyes :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind editing the code yourself then open lib/oled.py

Change line 361 from

border = True

to

border = False

Thanks, I can do that.

You’ll need to disable the add-on and re-enable to see the changes or just restart kodi.

1 Like

Actually, I was a bit tampering with your software, but I was interested in the wrong py file. :slight_smile:
“service.py”
I wanted to make a few other changes, but I couldn’t find anything I was looking for.
Anyway, now I’ll spend some time with the correct file.
Thanks again.

Thanks again, the information is now better understood.
It would not be bad to enlarge the articles a little more, how can I do it, can I get a clue. I want a lot, sorry.

Unfortunately enlarging the text would require a new character set to be generated and then all the information would not fit on the line.

1 Like

As long as we are in the modifications, I’ll jump in !
Would there be a possibility to remove the 3 dots constituting the slash of the number 0 in the Dot Matrix font without having to completely rewrite the font ?

I’m talking about the font that is used to indicate the elapsed / remaining time…
I think it would be more readable from a distance.

Hi, I have a petiboot, coreelec / android could be done for android - kodi to have OLED compatibility, Thanks!