Odroid N2 OLED I2C / SPI driver

Something like this 3D printed would be really great (this one’s the wrong size but was the closest thing I could find)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Set-0-96-I2C-IIC-Serial-128X64-LED-OLED-LCD-Stand-Mount-For-Arduino-Newest/173888641469?hash=item287c9219bd:g:0nkAAOSwXL1cx5BP

Found a 65k color 96x64 and a 2", 16 level, 256x64

That is a completely different OLED controller, it won’t work with a SSD1306 driver.

It is possible to write a driver for it, isn’t it? :slight_smile:
But the second one is my favorite, although it is very expensive, but looks really nice

Anything’s possible, and that is neat. But I2C is pretty slow, and it won’t refresh that fast.
I’ve seen 256x64 monochrome OLEDs, which should be better.

SPI is not an option to drive them?

SPI should be an option of the N2

Yes, SPI is available on the N2. But obviously you must buy an SPI display. The IIC\I2C labeled ones can’t really be converted.

How can I use custom fonts? for 128x32 I think 12x24 dot font size is better

Have you made TrueHD and DTS HD MA icons too? :slight_smile:

Can you share your driver please ?

1 Like

No, my project/driver has nothing to do with openVFD

My icons are actually just Text with a border around them so there are no icons to make, you just pass the draw function the text string and it takes care of the fancy border, it was much easier than creating separate icons for everything, the draw function supports bordered or inverted :smiley:

It’s written in Python and only of use if what you are creating is also written in Python, there are hundreds of SSD1306/SH1106 code examples on the internet. Once my code is a bit cleaner and I’ve finished a few thing I need to do I’ll be releasing the entire thing on github.

2 Likes

I’ll wait your release on github. No need to reinvent the wheel once more :wink:

Your icons and text are pretty good, Hope a 128x32 version :wink:

The oled will turn off when suspend, can it be always light?

One question , Is these oled pins conflict with dvb tuner?Odroid N2 and internal DVB tuners

My driver makes use of the SMBus python library and uses the hardware I2C on pins 3 and 5, there’s also a second hardware I2C on pins 27 and 28 but I’ve had no luck getting those to work, apparently they are shared with the onboard RTC so may need activating in the device tree.

I’m looking forward to your release

odroid-n2:hardware:expansion_connectors [ODROID Wiki] :

Note that I2C-3(Pin 27/28) is shared with on-board RTC chip PCF8563.
So the GPIO feature on Pin 27/28 is disabled by default until you change Device Tree file.

Odroid N2 Oled Driver v0.1 has been released.

Source code
Release v0.1 zip

This addon has so far only been tested by me so I expect there are still plenty of bugs to squash :smiley: If you play a file, audio or video and don’t see the expected icons displayed then please post a Kodi log so I can see whats missing and add it.

2 Likes