Odroid N2 test builds

Hi Ray, tested the IR receiver this morning with the latest nightly and it’s back to working, i cant thank you enough!. I now do not get double key presses or laggy response when scrolling, which were both driving me nuts when using meson-ir.

Can i assume this change will make its way to the official test ‘release’ and further down the line, to the final release for the N2?

edit - just for completeness, and for anybody else who may use the mce remote/ir combo, this is the nightly that re-includes the mce ir support:-
https://relkai.coreelec.org/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.0-nightly_20190429-Odroid_N2.img.gz

@relkai Nightlies are our official builds. So this is already in the official code.

Thank for your help

Does it work for you now?

How did you disable the internal meson-ir?

there are multiple ways of doing this, i went down the route of blackisting meson-ir using this simple bit of bash (put in /storage/.config/autostart.sh) :-

# disable 'meson-ir' (odroid built in ir reciever), we use the much better 'mceusb' (microsoft ir reciever)
if [ ! -f /storage/.config/modprobe.d/disable-meson-ir.conf ]; then
    echo "blacklist meson-ir" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/disable-meson-ir.conf
fi

see here for other options:- Disable Odroid built-in IR receiver

edit - would of been nice to have this as an option in the Kodi UI via CoreELEC ‘services’ where you could toggle it on/off, maybe a feature request?

Thanks. Although, my experience is completely opposite. With MCE USB receiver, I am getting laggy response, but with meson-ir I get very snappy response.

@binhex there is a much simpler way of disabling IR by creating a remote.disable file in /flash and rebooting :slight_smile:

1 Like

interesting!, what remote and ir do you have exactly?, this is what i have:

meson-ir resulted in pretty bad lag and sporadic key presses with this remote.

ahh right, thats neat thanks for that!.

Yes, it’s work for me.

1 Like

I have HP official mce receiver. Long time ago HP used to sell PCs with Windows Media center edition with built in tuner. It came with it. Windows Media center was so good. It is all in the past now.

ahh ok, i can only assume that there are some differences between the HP receiver and the microsoft one then (assuming you have the same microsoft remote?). i am also a ex-mce user, when ms dropped support for mce i moved over to openelec 0.99.xx, thus the remote and ir, both of which have worked flawlessly through multiple revisions of openelec, then libreelec and now coreelec.

Mce usb ir receiver are all show as philips in lsusb. I have one of these too.
Although I’d rather fix mesonir.

OK, rebooted N2

ran echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_post

Currently watching BBC2 HD, havnt noticed any slow downs.
Running build devel-1556364550, plenty of scene changes in what im watching that normally triggers it.
Matt

1 Like

@startv your 24Hz issue is fixed. After hard debugging work and an awesome @Portisch who not only debugged but also fixed several other kodi issues on the way it’s finally playing smooth with 24hz:

Here is a test build:
https://test.coreelec.org/ray/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.0-devel-1556643781.tar

I bought an N2 recently, but haven’t had a chance to set it up yet. But I do want to say that I am so encouraged by the speed at which you CoreELEC folks are getting things running smoothly. I know you folks aren’t looking for monetary compensation, but I hope you’ll take my verbal equivalent.

Many of you obviously worked on the LibreELEC AMLogic builds, and it’s because of the work you people did that I started buying Odroid C2s instead of other SBCs. I now have 5 C2s, including my original two purchased as media players.

I’m really looking forward to getting this new N2 up and playing media and games and just wanted to extend a hearty thank you for all the work you’ve done and continue to do.

2 Likes

I’ve also run with echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_post set up in autostart.sh since this morning. Watched about 2 hours of snooker and news (in glorious H264!) and not a single freeze. I think you’ve cracked it Ray. I’ve seen that Matt thinks so too. :grinning:

Subsequent edit. Spoke too soon. I had to disable the autostart and reboot in order to watch Eastenders from IPlayer WWW. With bypass_post enabled the picture was visibly jerky as if frames were missing.

The 480p and 576p SD modes in Kodi whitelist is not working properly, the aspect ratio is wrong, so we can’t use the native resolution.

Another problem is the chroma upsampling quality, but it is also bad with the super scaler.
Please check with this video: Chroma test, Explanation
With N2 it looks like worse than Nearest Nighbor, but with S905X is near Bicubic.

Just to clarify, do you mean it’s worse than nearest neighbor in SD resolutions or in all resolutions?