Odroid N2 test builds

You can watch HDR content on a SDR display, but it will not look right.
It has nothing to do with resolution.

ok sorry , missunderstood - then i meant no way to bring 4k downscaled to 1080p in right colors and brightnes-> yes?

• Again, resolution isn’t the issue.
  • You can’t display HDR content on a SDR display. This is the point of HDR, it has a completely different PQ and color gamut.
  • The N2 is capable of tone mapping HDR to SDR, so that it looks better on a SDR display.
    But to make it look “correct”, you need a custom tone-map, which is impossible to make without specialized equipment. (our kernel doesn’t support custom tone-maps either, so this point is moot).

ok, sorry,
not picking so deep-we missunderstood booth
the only thing i want to know and what i asked and you answered is ;

• You can’t display HDR content on a SDR display. This is the point of HDR, it has a completely different PQ and color gamut.

thats all i wanted to know

But you can watch any 4k SDR video on a 1080p tv without any colour degradation.

watching movies (1080i/p and 4k) leads to freezes/crashes. i flashed coreelec from 11. august and watching movies now works again without problems. seems like there is some bug.

were you able to test that recently? Thanks!!

Not yet, I didn’t forgot it but there was no time and now vacation is starting…

Hi… out of curiosity, what do you think the performance of zidoo z9s native player compare to N2 with CE? Any obvious PQ and SQ btw those two? Thanks

1 Like

I’m very curious about this :thinking:

Hi, I have been using zidoo z9s before N2, which is now my main player and I am very pleased with it. In the area of PQ I cannot really tell a difference, but in SQ I think that N2 is more clear and the dialogs are more clear and loud. I cannot tell why since both zidoo and N2 are feeding my Marantz amp and bitstreaming. The zidoo player has a very basic HomeTheather app, this app is really terrible.
The are more bugs and more annoyances with zidoo so I have ditched it in favour of N2.

Although this is way off topic, but Zidoo has ZDMC, which is their custom version of Kodi. It should be a good player.

I’m sorry for being off topic. what I really want to know is the differences in image quality and HDR. my friend is now using zidoo s9 and is curious about the differences in image quality with N2. undecided about N2.

Then it shouldn’t be in a N2 test build thread.

ZDMC is sluggish and it is calling zidoo internal player for playback. For a great kodi experience N2 is ways better than zidoo.

For example zidoo is unable to play (just showing green static image with sound) certain 25Hz content with embedded subtitles.

1 Like

I included the option and it should be available tomorrow. You have to add this in your config.ini manual as it does not getting automatic updated:

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I’ll test it tomorrow then!

Thanks again! The permanent USB Power is working now … unfortunately is my keyboard → keypressing (soft, hard, frantically :slight_smile: ) not able to convince my N2 to do the powerup …

Good evening,

one of the updates applied on Tue Aug 20 caused my N2 for the first time to go into a bootloop. I couldn’t retrieve a log - instead I took pictures:

Since I’m new here I’m only allowed to post 1 picture or 2 links:
https://eckgold.eu/odroidn2pictures.html
The pictures get displayed wrong. If you display them by their URL it will be fine.
I hope that I did catch everything needed with the pictures and that they are usefull. Same behavior results after flashing the release from the 21st.

Only way back was a clean flash of the sd card with the version from the 19th.

Just for clarity; there hasn’t been a nightly issued yet today.

The release you got on the 21st is actually the 07/20 release. The build is created at 00:00 (midnight) of the day after the date the code merges were added. So if you get a release on 01:20 GMT on a given day, the build is actually from (and labeled as such) from the day before.

That means your issues exist with the 07/19 and 07/20 versions.