Onn UHD Streaming Device (S905Y2)

I’m trying to run coreelec on the 2020 version of Walmart’s Onn UHD Streaming device. This uses the S905Y2 chipset, not to be confused with the 2023 version that uses an S905Y4.
(walmart dot com slash ip slash onn-Android-TV-4K-UHD-Streaming-Device-with-Voice-Remote-Control-HDMI-Cable slash 636597403)

There is a port of lineageos out there that requires unlocking the bootloader and flashing
(forum dot xda-developers dot com slash t slash official-unofficial-lineageos-20-for-amlogic-gxl-gxm-g12-sm1-ne-family-devices.4534935)

I was however able to get Coreelec 20 ng booting via a usb stick without unlocking. You need a micro usb otg y cable to power the device and plug in a usb device at the same time. I used g12a_s905y2_2g.dtb, but had to change one line in the usb3phy section description to enable otg. (otg = <0x01>) No other changes.

I do have a couple of issues with this build though

1. I am unable to pair the device’s included Google G10 remote via bluetooth (both via coreelec UI and via bluetoothctl). This is what bluetoothctl says when trying to pair or connect
[bluetooth]# pair XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 
Attempting to pair with XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
[CHG] Device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Connected: yes
[CHG] Device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Connected: no
Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationCanceled
[bluetooth]# connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 
Attempting to connect to XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
[CHG] Device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Connected: yes
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed le-connection-abort-by-local
[CHG] Device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Connected: no

Is there anything I can do for this? I am able to pair a bluetooth keyboard to the device, and I’m able to pair the remote to a different laptop, it’s only this device/remote combo that doesn’t pair in coreelec. The remote seems to work in android
2. The hardware decoders don’t seem to work. I get the same errors as in this post. This post suggests to try a different firmware. The board is running an android 10 firmware. Should I try flashing something older? Don’t want to risk bricking the device if downgrades aren’t supported.
3. After disabling the hardware decoder, while SDR videos (upto 1080p) play on the youtube addon, HDR ones don’t seem to. Is this related to the decoder or is some other bug? I need to look into this a bit more

Are there any solutions to these problems?

I am unable to post links, so I’ve put the xda and walmart links in a weird way. Sorry for that
Dmesg: http://ix.io/4FSy

P: /devices/platform/ffe05000.sd2/mmc_host/sdio/sdio:0001/sdio:0001:1
M: sdio:0001:1
R: 1
U: sdio
V: rtl88x2cs
E: DEVPATH=/devices/platform/ffe05000.sd2/mmc_host/sdio/sdio:0001/sdio:0001:1
E: SUBSYSTEM=sdio
E: DRIVER=rtl88x2cs
E: SDIO_CLASS=07
E: SDIO_ID=024C:C822
E: MODALIAS=sdio:c07v024CdC822
E: USEC_INITIALIZED=7537149
E: ID_SDIO_CLASS_FROM_DATABASE=WLAN interface
E: SYSTEMD_WANTS=rtkbt-firmware-aml.service
E: TAGS=:systemd:
E: CURRENT_TAGS=:systemd:
1 Like

Your hardware decoder is locked and CE can’t use it, it’s not a bug.

I understand that, but was wondering if there might be any other workarounds I could try to get it working.

Really appreciate your inputs on this. Do you have any idea about the remote pairing issues?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.