Playback after pause takes >5 secs after 9.2.1 update

Anything useful in the logs? Just tell me if you want more info and I’ll try to provide it.

The problem nobody from the devs can reproduce the error and the platform S905X/S912 isn’t really active in development. So it will take more time to find the reason if it get found ever.

All tried a clean CE installation already? So make a new CE media and install only minimum of addons to test it if the error still happen?

I haven’t tried a clean install. I’ll do that and report back with my findings.

I did a clean install on my Mecool S912 box and it’s still happening. It really makes it unusable. Using 9.2.3.

On my box I can’t even restart playback again on my box until I reboot.

Can you please just try this image?
https://test.coreelec.org/Portisch/CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2-devel-1594541321.tar

I don’t know if it will fix this issue or not.

Hasn’t fixed it for me unfortunately. Here’s another dmesg - http://ix.io/2rrH

Also didn’t fix it for me

Me neither. I can’t skip back, gets stuck on buffering. Have to reboot. Lol

The sad truth is that kernel 3.14 is at the end of it’s life. We work towards kernel 4.9 and the issue doesn’t happen there. If you have a gxl device move over.

As the thread opener, I hope it’s allowed to post an off topic update: I’ve solved the issue by retiring my old Magicsee box and buying a NVidia Shield TV Pro. All is running pretty smooth here.

1 Like

Thanks, of course it’s understandable that things will go end of life and you can’t always keep supporting things forever.

Although, what do you mean by ‘move over’ to kernel 4.9? To an amlogic-ng build? Judging by this thread posted yesterday it looks like it’s still early days for gxl devices, but I’ll give it a go anyway. If it doesn’t work, I’ll stay on 9.2.0 (which is working perfectly fine for my needs now) until it matures a bit.
Thanks!

I don’t believe you can solely blame the old kernel for this, as we didn’t have this problem prior to 9.2.1, and presumably versions earlier to that were running kernel 3.14 just fine.

I’d be pretty sad if 3.14 is declared EOL, as I’m sure there are lots of people out there using perfectly fine old hardware, with no need to replace it. I appreciate things move on, but I’d like to see a definitive statement if old kit and the old kernel are no longer going to be supported, and then at least we’re clear on what sort of support we will or won’t get.

Edit: I’ve just read the post from scorpii above about support for the new kernel on old kit. I guess that’s a good way forward if it works ok, so I may give it a try and see how it goes.

Issues related to media modules or kernel for sure not.
Nobody do have enough free spare time for active development on the old kernel right now. Remember Team CoreELEC is doing all the work in their free time and we are all really busy to get all issues solved caused by new SoC types! GXL is already supported by Amlogic-ng so best is to move over if possible. GXBB SoC support is dropped by Amlogic itself. GXM is another story as it was a “hack” from beginning and maybe will never be possible to port to Amlogic-ng.

3 Likes

History is littered with hardware that was left stranded by Kodi development leaving users with no other choice than to stop on old versions until all the addons stopped working and the hardware was effectively dead. Its a sad reality but the default position.
Only commercial propitiatory hardware/software offers the sort of certainty that people seem to want. But when I can go out and buy a X96Air (which works flawlessly on ng) for less than €40.00 I do not expect anyone to support my redundant dinosaurs. However if you choose a version of CE 9 which works for you, and stop upgrading, you will have at least another year of flawless use out of your dinosaur.

Shoog

1 Like

Amlogic has stopped updating anything related to the 3.14 kernel a long time ago.
In the past year or more, we have made very little changes to this kernel, mostly driver fixes for Wifi/BT devices on that kernel.
We’ve been making new stable builds based on this kernel to keep Kodi up to date for users of these devices. And we’re going to keep Kodi Leia updated until the end of its release cycle, which, as far as we know, is going to be version 18.8, and there will not be any more Leia releases after it. The jury is still out in regards to having Matrix releases on 3.14 kernel, personally I don’t see the point in spending time on it.
S905 and S912 SoCs are both ancient. The S905X is a long term SoC by Amlogic, which is the reason why it has the best support in the newer kernel by Amlogic, and it is why it was possible for us to port it to the newer 4.9 kernel.
Unless there is some kind of breakthrough, we will not be porting GXBB (S905) nor GXM (S912) to the 4.9 kernel.

Now, the following part is my personal opinion, but I’m sure others will agree with me.
Users who insist on using their 5 year old box, when a new and supported devices cost $40 today can keep using whichever version works best for their uses, but you can’t really expect us to keep supporting ancient hardware when new devices are released in ~6 month intervals that require work as well, and are much better than the old stuff. We don’t have the time, nor the resources for this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, and definitely appreciate all the effort you guys put in! You have to drop support at some point, but it just seemed odd that it stopped working on the older kernel versions.

My box is an S905X box, so fortunately it looks like I’ll be able to try the newer kernel, but good to understand what the situation is. Might be good to publicise which ones you’re dropping support of, so people can know to stick on what works for them already? And maybe help prevent some extra support threads from people on older hardware! If this is already a sticky or something, apologies if I’ve missed it.

I have two S905X boxes.
One box is running LE 8.2 wrxtasy version and working fine to watch video files
The other box is running CE stable(kernel 3.14) and is also working fine.
I believe the will work fine a few years.

My daily driver is the N2 in my living room.
But I´m a techie, I own a couple of raspberry pi from revison 1 to 4

I hate the when devices become unusable. But at least for S912 there is the hope to use mainline someday.

I don’t know, my S912 box doesn’t even seem to work right on 9.2.0 anymore. I think I need to do a fresh install.

That said, I have a Odroid N2 in the bedroom, but I really don’t want to buy more hardware until the S905x4 boxes are available- that way I’ll have access to AV1 hardware decoding.

FYI: Did a fresh install on my MeCool BB2 (not pro) 2/16 (GB Ethernet) of 9.2.4.1 and problem seems to be gone. Installed all my usual CPU intensive addons- Aeon Nox Silvo, Unpause Jumpback, UpNext, etc and took long pauses on multiple videos and right now everything seems to be working fine.

I will get back if any problems pop-up, but right now even the interface (and AEON Nox Silvo is definitely a pretty CPU intensive skin) is running almost as smooth as my Odroid N2. Even bluetooth remote with my Harmony Hub is snappy.

Nice. :slight_smile: