PLEX media server

cheers! upgrade worked well

Hello, I have Plex Media Server installed on an odroid C2 working correctly, how do I install the update that I downloaded for Coreelec?

PlexMediaServer-1.15.6.1079-78232c603-armv7hf.spk

Thank you

IMHO, an .spk file is a Synology package.

My Plex media server says:
A new version of Plex Media Server is available for the CoreELEC server! 1.15.6.1079
download now

and that is the file that is downloaded

You should ask @tnds82 for a regular update in his repository.
CoreELEC doesnā€™t maintain this repo.

1 Like

Just for info, I tend to play around, I just used the addon from the tnds82 & the server on my CE Mecool is showing up, along with my other servers, from my laptop.

I didnā€™t use docker.

I havenā€™t tried to play any movies.

Not sure if you guys still here. So I installed the zip file as the add on and nothing happens. Shows that itā€™s installed and when I checked the running service add-ons it doesnā€™t show PMS. So as a test I installed emby and that shows. Can anyone tell me what Iā€™m doing wrong and what I should do after installing the zip. Spent hours installing Plex on docker and failed quite well. So I guess I should go for the easier route. Thanks in advance.

Hi I did what you did and Iā€™m unable to find the external storage to add libraries. All my media is my external drive and I would like to add that. It would be great if you could tell me how to do that.

I seem to recall that this bit was not intuitive but canā€™t remember the details. Iā€™m on holiday this week and Iā€™ll not be able to look this part up to remind myself until the weekend.

If no-one else has been able to tell you by then, Iā€™ll come back to you with what I do to get it working. I can tell you that since I posted Iā€™ve swapped my server over to Coreelec on S905 then onto Coreelec on N2 without any problems. Just wish I could remember the bit thatā€™s stopping you.

Iā€™m home now @travissolaman and Iā€™ve reminded myself. The first thing you need to do is go into the Plex server addon settings (My Add-ons> Services> Plex (LinuxServer.io). When you go into the settings, youā€™ll see that you map where your movies, Tv Shows and photos are. The defaults are to /storage/videos etc. Change them to var/media/whatever. In my case Iā€™ve set them all to var/media/TOSHIBA EXT/Media cause thatā€™s what my HDD is called and all my Media is in a directory called Media (wow thatā€™s original). I set at this level because I have music directories on TOSHIBA EXT/Media that I wanted to add to plex and thereā€™s no setting for music in the addon .

Once youā€™ve done that perhaps a reboot would be in order. After that, go to the plex webpage and when you go to add a library you should see the folders from your external hard disc if you look in ā€œdataā€ directory which will be about half way down the list on the right hand side of the screen that comes up when you click on Browse for Media.

Hope this helps. my second paragraph is a little vague as I canā€™t recreate your scenario - a server with no libraries but I think it was the steps from the first paragraph that was stopping you.

Let me know how you get on please.

Thank you very much for the reply. Kinda figured that on my own, was kinda desperate. It was all good and working and it was great to be honest, until I installed plexkodiconnect. Why I need this is I would like to use kodiā€™s player for playing and not the official plex addon. Why I need this is my tv is roku and wonā€™t support kodi so I have to use odroid n2 as the playback device as well. My housemateā€™s tvā€™s are android and got kodi so they donā€™t have the problem so the odrioid needs to be the server. So back to the problem, what happens is after a while maybe a day or so CoreElec crashes several times and goes into safe mode. Tried diffrent times and what I noticed is PKC shoes read I/O error and everything goes to hell. Not clear why this is happening. Sometimes not even that and things donā€™t play and I reboot and it voila, safemode after several reboot by itself. Iā€™m at a point of giving up and moving on forget the dream of having a plex server. What do you think this causes? Thanks in advance, any help would be great. Iā€™m sorry that I donā€™t have any logs because Iā€™m not very familiar with kodi that much.

Does Plex on CoreElec support hardware transcoding of movie files?

Thanks

Sorry canā€™t help you with this @travissolaman because I only use the plex client from kodi.

As far as I know @mr_Frodo, it does. That statement comes with a big HOWEVER. Transcoding takes a lot of processor power if it is to work on the fly. I doubt if it would work successfully on Coreelecā€™s range of devices. Iā€™m not sure if the Odroid N2 would handle it so Iā€™ll have to leave that to others with more experience to comment on.

I mean the funny thing is it works and perfectly. Like really good. But after a couple of plays with PKC, just a couple of plays. It starts showing disk I/O error or plexkodiconnect error and just not work anymore. The server add-on does what itā€™s meant to do flawlessly itā€™s just PKC. The reason I donā€™t use official Plex add-on is it just wonā€™t do well with .ass subtitles files of anime so transcoding will be needed and we donā€™t want that now so we. I want to use the Kodā€™s own player to play it. Iā€™m like almost done with this

Iā€™m not sure about hardware transcoding. I believe with Plex pass you can. Not an expert just the knowledge from a lot of forums

@travissolaman, Iā€™ve just stumbled on another Plex client that might be the answer youā€™re looking for. Itā€™s called Composite and itā€™s in the Kodi repo in the video add-ons section. Iā€™m giving it a go because the official Plex add-on sometimes plays HD video with 5.1 sound as SD PCM.

For me it worked from the box, only had to link the box.

It seems to be the fork of PleXBMC, I guess itā€™s what Iā€™m looking for. Thank you for that. Iā€™ll try it and keep everyone posted

Do you know if we can integrate composite to Kodi like what I mean is rather than launching to add-on if we would access it via movies and tv shows section in Kodi. Honestly if thatā€™s not possible thatā€™s fine too, because even like this it works really well. Havenā€™t had an issue for a day now, and pretty happy with it at the moment. Thanks again for this add-on, been thinking about using PleXBMC but this is good too

Not sure what youā€™re asking. Have you read info over on the Kodi forum about the add-on cause if your answer isnā€™t there I wonā€™t be able to add anything. Sorry canā€™t help further. It does everything I want it to tho. The only thing I can say is that for music you need to select play from here if you want an album to play rather than just the selected track.

Glad it seems to be what you are after. Itā€™s the power of these forums that word gets round.