ProFTPD addon not working

Does Proftpd even works for you? If yes then just create one new user and it’s path to /media/your_usb_mounted_disk.

I tried all I knew here with this Proftpd addon in Kodi. Too little setting options… It creates users, shares, paths… but it simply would not write these settings to CE and would NOT connect the setup path to external usb share through ftp in Filezilla. ONLY the default, internal (/storage) one. I feel it is a matter of not being able to write permissions inside CE from within the Kodi interface. I gave up the idea and share the usb disk through ftp under openmediavault nas.

I tested proftpd addon yesterday and it is working as it was intended (designed mostly by me).
Try to remove it (also settings) and install it again. I add another user with different folder path.

You have it’s config file which you can edit directly.

Thanks for your kind and timely reply. I am not doing anything fancy. Install addon, set one user, set one password, set path to external usb disk. Filezilla not connecting to server. Neither ftp, not sftp, neither normal, nor anonymous. Only as root, to /storage. All other servers working, only this one does not.

Did you reinstall addon? Because in my case it behaves the same but after removing addon including the settings everything started to work.

Thanks again. Yes, I did uninstall completely and reinstall several times, identical behavior. I opened internal configuration files, and new user and password set is not written, is inexistent. I mean that after setting new user, and password, and path, and SAVE, config file has the same content as before, not modified with new settings. Therefore server not connecting.
Settings-default.xml file has the following content, not including new user and other settings as password and path.
Username1 value=“”, Userpass1" value=“” “Userpath1” value=“/storage” …
Thanks for you interest.

I can’t judge what is going on in your case but for me it works (CE-22 NE) - fresh install made right now.

And users are not in file /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.proftpd/proftpd.conf but in /var/config/proftpd.passwd.

1 Like

I accessed ftp root/coreelec and my var folder does not include a config subfolder. i cannot find any proftpd.passwd file. AM8 Pro, CE-22NE last nightly, 20240812.

for me the settings I set are located in a different place and file -
\COREELEC\Userdata\addon_data\service.proftpd\Settings.xml, where I found my settings.
Later Edit - I found the problem, the “&” character in the password was not recognized as password, only letters and numbers are.
As soon as i removed it after this hunch, server is operational. Thanks for inspiring this. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks, I will fix this issue.

Your work is very appreciated.
Now, after connecting to proftpd server, plain ftp, normal logon user/password, multiple video file list transfer, after little time the transfer frezes and coreelec freezes, I have to reboot to restart, and it happens again.

After this morning’s update to CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.aarch64-22.0-Piers_nightly_20240817-Generic.img - proftpd server and coreelec samba servers both freeze and crash on transfers. Yesterday both worked. I will downgrade to 20240816 and see if this is all about this upgrade.
LaterEdit - i reinstalled CE22-20240817 and no transfer (samba/proftpd) can copy/transfer any file to usb disk of coreelec am8pro. It slows, kisckups, and finally freezes the box so only powering it off-on can resume activity.
I do not comprehend what could have happened since yesterday to mess things up so drastically. I moved the usb disk to openmediavault nas and it works flawlessly, both samba and ftp.

The buildsystem for CE-22 is constantly under changes with packages bump. Looks like something is not going well with addon build some time back.

Does image 20240816 works again or same issue with addon?

2024016 behaves the same, freezing. That is why I do not understand why. It should have worked. I will try later an even older image. Meanwhile I have other things to patch since I fully messed up my openmediavault NAS and I have to reinstall everything. Cheers, will be back. Thanks.
LaterEdit - CE22-2024018 the same. ProFtpd server unstable, cannot finish transfering upload one single file, it stops and freezes system, needing power cycle. I gave up ftp idea on this machine until it will be stable.

Latest CE-ss 20240822 nightly, same Proftpd server instability, can be set up and accessed by Filezilla but cannot accomplish one single full-file/complete transfer, frezes system and need power-cycle to resume. Identical begavior oon several hard disks, or thumb sticks, new and used. Too bad.

Agree. Someone needs to fix it!

No issues here, I can upload/download 4GB with no errors.

CoreELEC (official): 22.0-Piers_nightly_20240822 (Amlogic-ne.aarch64)
      Machine model: Tencent Aurora Box 5X
     CoreELEC dt-id: s5_s928x_tencent_aurora_5x
      Amlogic dt-id: s5_s928x_ax201-v2
      Linux version: 5.4.210 (docker@1ac478bff4f1) #1 Thu Aug 22 03:04:47 IDT 2024
      Kodi compiled: 2024-08-22 02:34:26 +0200

The same CE instability applies to file transfer under Samba. Incomplete copy, freeze. All other servers within the same network have no trouble tranfering files, reliable, stable. I will try all these without Coreelec, booting the Ugoos machine from eMMC.

Looks like your file system is damaged. Try clean fresh install on new boot media.

1 Like

I already did reinstall three times, fresh, on neww media. Same. On openmediavault nas, 8 hdd’s/ssd’s on usb3 hub, all works perfect, any type of transfer, ftp and samba. not on am8pro. will try out of CE on the ugoos in the weekend, hopefully. Thanks for the answer. I tend to believe it’s the “just enough OS” maybe too minimalist… Both samba and ftp are unstable… I will also get one am6bplus just to check maybe that provides more stable transfers, otherwise i will remain with all files on NAS. Too bad… Near this am8pro I also have one himedia Q10 Pro, which uses same cables and setup and transfers both samba and ftp at more than 70-75 (even 100 smtms) MBps. Nothing wrong with network or disks, only Ugoos and CE.