Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

I agreed with you. CE team have done awesome work. Kudos and a millions thanks. I bought the HK1 Box X4 main purpose is to run CE. But then I got a faulty box. I would recommend go for a better box like Ugoos X4 Pro. I think Ugoos are more consistent on their hardware. The ugoos also use the DDR4 ram which is much faster than the DDR3 used by almost all the cheap box. Pay a little bit more for a better experience.

I ordered my X4 Pro August 4, it is still in transit. I will review it when it arrives.

There was an update today, and the front display stopped working.

Yes you will need the nightly tomorrow to get the fixed dtb (slightly different than mine). If you want the dtb let me know.

If it is coming out tomorrow, I will wait.

Perhaps you can answer a more important question about mpeg 2 video recordings. What setting do I use “Accelerate MPEG2”??

Thanks.

My preferred CE box is the much better N2 and I use H/W for my ATSC recordings if that is what you are asking. I haven’t noticed any issue with mpeg2 acceleration in limited testing here

I have been struggling with the closed captions. Trying to find the correct settings. I have recording is both TS and MPG containers, both are mpgeg2 video. The videos with mpg containers seem to play the CC without issues, but the TV videos, struggle with CC.
Been playing with the settings.

With Hardware acceleration enabled, the videos play correctly,

Buttt, the recordings with the TS container has closed caption issues, missing captions and getting wayyyy, out of sync, I mean minutes.

On the other had, the mpg recordings do not have any issues with closed captions.

Don’t know if you are old enough to require CCs, but can you test your recordings that are recorded with the TS container??

Thanks.

FYI mpg is not a container, I assume you mean mpeg-ps (HDHR and SageTV still use mpg for ts files)

I am maybe old enough, but my hearing is ok. I will try and have a look tomorrow. In general Kodi support for closed captioning is very average. I submitted a Kodi PR for CC’s a few years ago to make it work a little better but it needs a lot of love. I think there was some activity in Nexus but I don’t know where that stands. CC’s in Amlogic via ExoPlayer based player are pretty good in my experience.

I have been testing Kodi on different devices, and they all have issues with CC and even Kodi on Android has issues playing any of the TS recordings.
I will do more testing. Will test the Shield later.
VLC has no issues under Android.

Kodi on Android is still using Kodi rendering. I was talking about other Android media players. In any case I tried some live tv (which is ts) and didn’t see any improvement in Kodi. If you want to PM me a link to a 5 minute+ sample I can see other clients I have.

Can’t find link to PM you??

sent you a PM on the Freaktab forum. Could not find the PM on this forum.

Display is BACK. Had an update, and I was shocked to see that this update, actually updated the “dtb.img”. At least that is what I saw as it was “unpacking” the files. I did not know that was possible, or I never noticed it.

Display is back, but now users can’t be install addons manually on Nexus. The joys of nightly builds.

Anyway I had a look at your video and then CEA 708 subtitles in it are often hard for Kodi to parse and display. If these are movies you want to keep I suggest CCExtractor.

I did import it as Silicon Dust DVR and their client can show them so it is possible.

I have too many TS movies, and too lazy to convert them.

Guess I will have to use Emby to watch them.

The ability to not display the closed captions correctly is the ONLY thing missing from my CoreELEC boxes. This is a Kodi problem, not just CoreELEC.

11" TV has better quality.

Are you you are watching that in the HK1 with one of the Emby Kodi addons in CE streaming from Emby on the HK1 or is this an off topic solution?

The big screen is CE running on the HK1, and the little screen is Emby…

As long as the recording is in mpg, and NOT TS, the closed captions work. It is just the TS recordings that give me issues.

I have recordings going back 8 to 10 years, using different DVRs. I had DvBlink running on a Synology NAS, recordings from Tvheadend running on a $30 Android TV box, of course HDHomeRun when they created a DVR, and I now I record mostly from Emby and sometimes from Plex. So, my files are everything.

I think only Emby’s recordings are in TS, but I could be wrong.

Was working on vfd config at the time
Thought i did something wrong
So started all over from scratch
Format sd card…etc…

I chose dtb for hk1x4 4g
Like always

There it was!!!

Finally figured out remote control config also!!!

Its been a good day

Thanks Team CoreELEC for all your work

Thanks Clark for all your work

Most Excellent!!!

Happy Testing

CoreELEC is an awesome media player and aggregator of your own media.

Gives a whole new life to these inexpensive Android TV boxes.

Welcome to The forum.