Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

I have had similar issues on different devices. I had to plug the device into a different TV with a different native resolution.
Is your TV a newer one with HDR, DV, etc?

TV is a 13 year old Plasma
I can try to use a few different TVs but I think thats not the point because I have also no Network-Connection
My dhcp-server doesnā€™t show the box and the switch shows no activity at the port the box is connected atā€¦

If your TV is that old, then you are correct, that would not be the issue.

I think your best option would be to restore the original Android firmware.

Iā€™m sure you can find a firmware that will work on your device. All you have to do is use the amlogic burning tool, and burn that firmware to your box.

That sounds interesting. I will try to google that.
Thanks to all.

Iā€™ll be back

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

Glad I found this threadā€¦ just bought one, arrives tomorrow, setting up the SD card now so I can plug it in and go.

I downloaded
CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.arm-20.2-Nexus-Generic.img

Itā€™s supposed to be 10/100/1000 ethernet, which I need to test when I get it. If 100, it goes back.

Which device-tree file do I need to put in the root? if I recall you rename it dtb.img and stick it in the same folder as the kernel.img fileā€¦been a few years since had to do it.

@Lightning69 I saw that cool case update you hadā€¦ where does the fan plug in? I was thinking of 3D Printing a case for mine and adding a fan for cooling.

So, I ordered an HK1 S905X4 off Amazon.ca today to replace my Beeking GT1 Ultra. May not be the best, but should be an upgrade and supposedly has 10/100/1000 ethernet.

I have seen a few threads about these and similar boxes claiming 1000 and only having 100. I have noticed that most reviews confirming 1000, had BT4.1 and ones with only 100, had BT4.0ā€¦ coincidence? Maybe.

So, few questionsā€¦

1. How do I confirm the ethernet?
  2. How do I confirm the ram? Iā€™ve seen people say it shows 4GB when only physically 2GB.
  3. I downloaded CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.arm-20.2-Nexus-Generic.img, formatted the SD card and used Win32DiskImager to write to my 32GB Sandisk SD card. On my old Beelink I needed to grab/rename a file from the device-trees folderā€¦ which one do I need for this?

Thanks

Please confirm - is x4 stable enough to use as daily driver, or better stay with Vontar X3? Looking at this thread, I think there 's still several problems

I got my HK1 rBox Z905X4 running, been using it daily the past week and I dunnoā€¦ not sure if itā€™s hardware, OS or Kodi.

I had the Beelink GT1 Ultimate, which was off support and stuck at Kodi 18 I believe. Worked great.

This is newer, and also running a newer CoreElec and Kodi so thatā€™s why Iā€™m not sure where the fault it.

Basically small stuff. Lag sometimes skipping through the file list. If I unpause something, half the time playback is very jerky and I have to rewind a few second or stop/play to make it play properly again. I had auto-play for a season on last night and when it hit the final episode the screen went blank. Usually if crashes it reboots in a few minutes so just left it, and this morning it was still blank and after reboot the episode was marked as unwatched still. Ethernet connected and streaming off a NAS a few feet away, as well as the router so shouldnā€™t be a connection speed issue.

Old Beelink, none of those issues.

Although off support, was the Beelink a better box? S912 with DDR4 ram, vs S905x4 with DDR3? Is it a software issue? Setting somewhere?

Should I save up for an S928X? Odroid? Other?

Hehe, I went through the same journey with the Soc S917 and now with the S905x4, but with different devices. Iā€™m also struggling with the same problems. S917 with Coreelec ran very reliably on my old minix u9-h with rewind, pause and fast forward. With my current box TOX3 I had big problems with the ā€œNE Buildā€ and had the best experience with the ā€œNG buildā€ untill now. I had made various settings attempts with the advancedsettings.xml. But that only brought small improvements.
But now the good stuff at the end. Iā€™m very impressed with the ā€œNO Nightly Buildā€. Rewinding, pausing and forwarding works like old times with the minix u9 and the Soc S917. I donā€™t know how it will looks with your box. If you want, you can also try out the ā€œNO Nightly Buildā€.
Iā€™m really looking forward to the official release.
Cheers

1 Like

Thanksā€¦ ā€œkindaā€ good to know when others have the same issues. I mean kinda because Iā€™m not alone, but also means other have issues. :smiley:

I just finished school (again) and needed something cheap ASAP and grabbed the S905x4 because in budget, but again, a bit buggy and rather ugly case.

Was looking at the Ugoos AM8 S928X-J 4GB, or X96 X10 S928Xā€¦ or if possible, the guts for an android box and I can make/3D print a case with better cooling.

Someone previously mentioned something like a RaspberryPi, which have an anwful markup price right now, but, I remember way back when I grabbed my Beelink, I made the switch because they had their own x265 decoder and such and would handle playback better than an old PC (like I was using). But I donā€™t think the Pi at the time handled playback as well.

Still the case? is ODroid basically a Pi but for video playback?

hello
I bought this box which is a clone of the HK1, it seems to me

However, I just noticed that the remote control would be Bluetooth
Is it possible to operate this box with an IR remote control?

Yes

The link you posted shows it comes with generic ir

Remote Control

Not Bluetooth???

Maybe in option you can upgrade

I did nit see that option there

perfect thank you
In your opinion, which remote control configuration file should I put?

I think iam using the HK1 X3 that is used

Its in the wiki troubleshooting remote control

and is link to repository
How to etcā€¦

hello. i have this box and was happiliy using coreelec nexus 20.2-ne build installed in th eemmc. now i upgraded to 20.5-ne and there is no media playback saying i need to install android first and then coreelec back again. can anyone point me in the direction of latest android fw for the device and how to install. thanx.

ps : my device is Hk1 rbox x4s

Ssh connect to box

Use ceemmc tool
Make a copy of CoreELEC to external media
Micro sd or usb thumb drive

Now use option in tool to remove CoreELEC from
Internal.

Then you will need to flash factory firmware from
Vendor Android
With USB Burning Tool

You could also try slimboxtv for your box
As Android Base

Keep in mind with S905X4 Amlogic there is only single boot Option for CoreELEC on internal

No dual boot

If you to use Android as well as CoreELEC
You will have to boot CoreELEC from external media

1 Like

hello
I have had a transspeed s905x4 32G box for 1 week, I installed coreelec on a sandisk sd card (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.aarch64-20.5-Nexus-Generic.img), everything works fine except when I activate the mode HDMI passthrough, the image stutters approximately every 2/4 minutes!
do you also have this problem?
how to eliminate this phenomenon?

You are using Passthrough to your amplifier?
AV system?

It should always be enabled

Why enable during playback only?

When you change settings during playback
You will get a stutter
Then will/ should correct itselfā€¦

it is permanently activated, I have an audio/video amplifier, I deactivated it to do tests

I activate the mode HDMI passthrough, the image stutters approximately every 2/4 minutes!
do you also have this problem?
how to eliminate this phenomenon?