RetroArch Kodi add-on for CoreELEC

v1.5.2 available here or through updater.

• Updated RetroArch to v1.10.3
  • Dowloaded resources are now stored in local config path, hence no need to download again on addon update
  • RetroArch language set same as Kodi on first run
  • Improved first run config scripts
  • Other minor fixes
1 Like

v1.5.3 available here or through updater.

• Updated RetroArch and cores to latest as per Lakka v3.7.3
  • Changed PUAE core to PUAE2021
  • Other minor fixes
1 Like

I’ve been playing around with some 16 bit stuff and so far, all works very well.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your work on maintaining this addon,

I am new to Retroarch, but am learrning my way around it and all its config options. Am using an X96 Air P3 Android TV Box (s905x3) and have a few systems working very well such as Amiga 500, Atomiswave and NeoGeo.

I have added an N64 playlist but whenever I try and launch an N64 rom it just quits back to Kodi. Am I best to avoid N64 emulation on this platform? Some searches have suggested switching from the Vulkan video driver to GL but it looks like GL was the only option of Video driver anyway.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I am going to continue playing some Atomiswave games for now. :slight_smile:

Hi, I tried a couple of roms and with default settings I’ve only been lucky with SuperMario 64 + Parallel64.
Generally I got a generic segfault (you can check activating verbose logs), which does not give any specific info (and even if it did there is not much we can do here as it depends on the libretro core upstream, not related to this plugin).
However tweaking a little bit with cores options (which you can access from quick menu after launching a game - before it crashes) I could start all the roms I tried with Parallel64 changing “CPU Core” setting from dynamic_recompiler to cached interpreter or pure interpreter (which however means a lower performance compared to the already poor one with dynarec).
You may open an issue here or wait the next releases and see what happens.
Not the best platform to emulate N64 anyways.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll keep the N64 playlist in place and test it every now and again as the cores evolve. I also tried PPSSPP. I set frameskip to 2 and it was almost playbable. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for creating and maintaining the add-on. Am enjoying the retro-gaming!

Hi! Does it support s905x (Magicsee n5 coreelec 19.4)? Addon started but original remote control not working. Also wired and bluetooth controllers do not work(in retroplayer work fine).log

Hi, wired and BT controllers work for sure as long as recognized by the system, but need to be configured first. You can check procedures for both in retroarch documentation or google it, it’s plenty of info out there.
Regarding tvbox remote, I can see a meson-ir in the log, you should check if input is recognised in retroarch key bindings, ref here.
No test on my side and no specific support for this in the addon anyways (only CEC remote through hdmi is specifically supported).

1 Like

v1.5.4 available here or through updater.

• Added shutdown function on TV power-off (CEC)
  • Added CEC remote controller numeric pads support
  • Updated PUAE2021 to latest
  • Added changelog to addon information screen
1 Like

Just found this add-on, brings back loads of memories and a smile to my face. Work great, but is it possible to shut down the controller after quiting retroarch? Controllers shut down after shutting down CoreElec, but it would be a battery saver if the controller could (optionally) shut down when you exit retroarch.

Hi, which kind of controllers do you mean?
Option to shut down xbox360 controllers on retroarch exit is already available in addon settings.

I’ve connected a Sony DS4 controller, that shuts down on a kodi shutdown (or reboot). Probably the bluetooth stack that shuts down which triggers the DS4 shutdown.

Not aware of any general command or utility to shutdown bt controllers through command line, maybe ps4 controller shuts down on disconnect.
You may check through ssh what happens with bluetoothctl disconnect [YOUR MAC] or bluetoothctl power off.

Yeah, that’s it. Both power off and disconnect [mac] do the trick

Can I run a custom script on exiting retroarch?

I tried putting it in my autostart.sh, but it seems to only run at boot.

For the time being you can modify your bin/retroarch.start in the addon folder, adding after the line:

[ "$ra_xbox360_shutdown" = "true" ] && "$ADDON_DIR"/bin/xbox360-controllers-shutdown

this additional line:

bluetoothctl power off && bluetoothctl power on

Let me know if it works (e.g. if you turn on again the controller in kodi or in RetroArch is it working fine?).
I will think about possible drawbacks, if there isn’t any this could be added as option.

Awesome! Works like a charm.

Working great ! however cannot use the PPSSPP core for PS portable; when trying to load an ISO game, it seems to crash and I go directly back to the main CoreElec screen. Anyone has been able to get that core to work ?

Can you share the verbose log?

I was going to; but I just figured out the problem. I already had the EmuElec addon which is not maintained up to date anymore (the addon, that is), and that one used also Retroarch. It seems that when I installed the present addon, since a version of Retroarch was already installed on my Odroid N2, there were some items in the retroarch.cfg file that were pointing to locations on the other older addon. So I copied the entire content of the “addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm” to the “addons/script.emuelec.Amlogic-ng.launcher”, and the PSP games are now working.

Now if I remove the old EmuElec addon, there is a probability that I will screw something. I will have to carefully check each line of the retroarch.cfg file to make sure is is pointing to the Retroarch addon directory instead of the other one.

Hopefully, an armhf version of PCSX2 will be available soon for PS2 games.

Thanks

There is a reset function in the addon settings that can be used to get a clean retroarch.cfg (backup of the old file is automatically created in the same folder) , which I suggest to use in your case.
Note that the old cfg points to old emuelec cores folder, which is not what you want.
You can take a look also to relevant readme.md section for details about folders structure and priorities.

Now if I remove the old EmuElec addon, there is a probability that I will screw something

I think you can safely remove the old emuelec addon, /storage/.config/retroarch/ is outside the addon folder and will not be touched on addon uninstall.
You can backup that folder just to be on the safe side anyways.