RetroArch Kodi add-on for CoreELEC

Thanks spleen1981 ! Will check that out.

Hello @spleen1981! Thank you for the great work! To be able to run retroarch from kodi it is fantastic!! I was using Emuelec add on but two things I did not like so much… the interface of emuelec and the lack of updates for the new cores. You kind solve my problems :slight_smile: I’ve been testing your add-on and comparing it with emuelec and the performance is great. I specially notice a great improvement with Dreamcast and Naomi. The only thing that emuelec is running and I can’t make it work is N64. Still in emuelec was not perfect, but was working, on your add-on it always crashes back to kodi. I read some remarks above saying that this a problem with the cores… anyways i hope it get resolve one day, because I really prefer your add-on over emulec. Any ways, just want to say thanks :slight_smile: Cheers on!

By the way I’m running on a Odroid N2 2RAM (first generation). Thks

That’s an important info I wasn’t aware of, I thought it never worked… Digging in that repo, it seems there are patches used to compile parallel-n64 for Amlogic, which fortunately seems to be still working with the latest core master.
I will investigate if anything is worth to be proposed for merging upstream, but in the meantime the parallel-n64 core will be working and updated!
I didn’t find any ready-to-go solution for mupen64plus_next, but the old mupen64plus (unmantained today) seems to be still working, and it will be added as a fallback to parallel_n64 (which should be the preferred core to use) to the next addon release.

v1.5.5 available here or through updater.

• Added BT controllers shutdown function on RetroArch exit.
  • Fixed parallel-n64 segfault
  • Replaced mupen64plus_next with old mupen64plus for amlogic-ng
2 Likes

Thats Great!!! I will run some tests and I will post my thoughts here!!! Thanks For all the info and for the great work! cheers on.

This sounds great but are there any retroarch in coreelec setup guides for noobs like myself TIA

You can check README.md

Will do thanks👍

So after some test, this is what I got. N64 is working like it was on coreelec. Super mario kart plays well on lower resolutions. parallel-n64 seams to work better than mupen64plus. I’m very impressed with PSP. This was a big surprise. Big improvement comparing with coreelec. As i said before, Dreamcast and Naomi work very well, great improvement here. The " * Added BT controllers shutdown function on RetroArch exit" was not working, but modifying retroarch.start with : “bluetoothctl power off && bluetoothctl power on”, did the trick.
Once again thank you for this add-on. It’s great :slight_smile:

1 Like

This should now be already implemented in current v1.5.5. Do you mean it’s still not working properly and modifications are needed?

Thanks for testing!

EDIT: for sake of clarity, this feature must be enabled from addon settings, it is disabled by default.

v1.5.6 available here or through updater.

• Added compatibility with CoreELEC 20-Nexus
  • Fixed RetroArch crash on video threaded switch
  • Migrated build scripts to Lakka-v4.x build system

Hi,

Is it possible to add the Dreamcast - Redream core please?

Thanks ever so much.

redream Lakka package is described as “Work In Progress” and points to a repository not updated in 5 years.
Anyways current package seems to be broken as it does not build, you can try yourself building the addon with LIBRERETRO_CORES_ADD="redream" ./build.sh.
So, not possible at the moment.

Ah ok, no problem, thanks very much for looking into it and for maintaining the retroarch add-on. It’s my goto now for retro gaming.

RetroArch v1.11.0 released! :smiley:

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-11-0-release/

v1.5.7 available here .
Needs to be installed manually, as updater from previous versions is now broken (fixed in this new version).

• Updated RetroArch to 1.11.0
  • Fixed and improved broken auto-update feature
  • Added flac and libogg packages needed for some cores (e.g. same_cdi)
3 Likes

Brilliant stuff!

Thanks ever so much.

Thanks! Great Work!! :slight_smile:

v1.5.8 available here or through updater.

• RetroArch updated to 1.12.0
1 Like