[S905X3] X96Air_P2/P3 4/32GB 1Gbit Lan (How to config)

Hi, I have a problem with my external DVB tuner (Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD).
On the X96 Air there is only “Silicon Labs Si2168 #0 : DVB-T #0” in the tvheadend configuration.
I need DVB-C, if I do the tuner in the Mecool 905D box there is also “Silicon Labs Si2168 #0 : DVB-C #0”.
I try the other DVB Drivers (…latest kernel and CrazyCats), with these the card is not recognized at all.
What can I do?

How did you open the X96A around the screen ? I manage to get the bottom plare loose on the back and sides but around the front I fail to get the hooks to disengage.

Two screws under the rubber pads, only at the front “display” side. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

THX, I had removed the ones at the back …

Heh, did the same mistake here the first time… :rofl:
Here’s my “ugly duckling”:

Bottom:

• IMG-20200129-094031

Front:

• IMG-20200129-093900

Powered by TV set USB only, thus circumventing the CEC power on issue(s)…

2 Likes

Nice mod. I think many people will tune their X96 :slight_smile: ([S905X3] X96Air_P3). Those two thread would be great somehow merged :slight_smile:

Hi guys! I downloaded CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2-nightly_20200201-Generic.img and burned a SD-card with LibreElec installer. But I can’t find the sm1_s905x3_4g_1gbit.dtb in the device tree folder. Where do I find that?

try the CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-nightly_20200201-Generic.img.gz file instead.

As a general rule If you can’t find a device tree you expect to find you have downloaded wrong img.

Thanks @cdu13a, I think the rule of yours makes perfect sense.

I have one of these boxes and was wondering about installing CoreElec, but as I’m new to this and don’t wish to read a million thread posts etc, I was wondering if I do install this, then do I lose the GUI switch to turn SDR into HDR?

I love playing SDR content as HDR as my TV just looks amazing using this feature. I understand metadata etc and I know it’s not true HDR, but OMG this feature makes all these Android boxes with this feature WORTH IT. I have a Zidoo X9S and I hate to say it, but this cheap box beats it in almost every respect for PQ, sound and motion handling.

Also does anybody know what the dolby vision GUI switches in display actually do? My TV does DV but it is a first gen DV set and will not accept DV content over HDMI, only via USB or built in APP’s. So it’s just a question to help satisfy my curiosity :slight_smile:

Just to report I have just experienced a HDMI port failure on my X96Air after about a week of use.

Shoog

you mean something with similiar symptoms as those N2 reports?

Yes fairly much identical to the N2 issue.
Seems to point to a design flaw in the SOC’s.

Might have been a power surge that caused it.

Shoog

Thats strange :frowning: Are you sure it must be HW, not SW? Did you know what happened just before failure? I assume just boot, or some usage before?

Definitely hardware as there is no splash screen.
No idea what might have triggered it.

Shoog

It was meant more like, if some SW thing couldnt cause overload of something (as time pass). I know thats just wild guessing, but I think we couldnt rule this out… I am not sure, if in N2 case there was faulty SOC running only NG, or also HK Linux… Considering only fraction of N2 users should be affected, I am wondering about some specific use-cases (HDR, high HDMI bandwitch, interconnection between AVR or cec, using specific USB device connected, ARC used). Therefore I asked just for curiosity, if you didnt remember some actions before.

I am using NG only on VIM3L so far, but one X96 should go to mom bedroom so thats not good news and I am worried a bit now :frowning:

I was running one of the devel builds at the time, but I don’t think that had anything to do with it.
We switched the TV off and went out to the airport and when she came back the screen was dead but the CE was running as normal. It might have been a power surge or it might just have been spontaneous.

I think with these boards there is going to be a failure rate and the only di8fference between them is the percentage failure. The issue is that once dead there is no guarantee worth trying to draw on.

Shoog

Was it powered from the TV rather than a separate PSU?
Just wondering if how the power comes up on different connections might have had an effect.

Thats interesting. If I understand it correctly, box should be running 24/7, and HDMI actually breaks, when connected TV was off (I would expect this even minimize chance to damage HDMI port but I am no expert). Anything in logs I guess, and I dont suspect also any crontab jobs, right? Not sure, if nightly could try to update without user confirmation… (ie away)

Had it own power supply so unless the TV spiked the HDMI port there seems no obvious cause.

Shoog

1 Like