[S922X] Bee-link GT King

Respect
Please consider this thread as it is : a simple and collective way to share knowledge and progress on the GT King device and its CoreELEC support. This means you should respect any user participating to the discussions and accept the fact that you may have a different view and/or opinions than others.

Please do avoid repeatedly asking for the same thing again and again… If you are willing to develop and share something, just do it. If you just need to complain, just don’t.

What
The GT King is now available for sale : it’s a TV box from Bee-link, based on the S922X soc, an update on the GT1 products line based on the older S905X and S912 soc.

While the out-of-the-box android (non-ATV) experience is not great, the former S912 boxes are performing really great when running CoreELEC.

It seems that this box is based on the meson reference board, variant G12B (source: official SDK - g12b_w400).

Why
This topic aims at gather information about porting CoreELEC. Please share your question and your information on this box here.

References
http://linux-meson.com/doku.php
android sdk
interface structure diagram
bee-link forum
u-boot

Current status

• working :slight_smile:
  • builds: check the nightlies to get last updates and give feedback to the developers :slight_smile:
  • image name : Amlogic-ng Generic image
2 Likes

Specs

• AMLogic S922X soc : 6-core (A73/153), Mali G52
  • 4GB LPDDR4 ram
  • 64GB EMMC
  • 1Gb ethernet port
  • Wifi 2.4G/5.8G AC/MiMo
  • Android 9
  • wireless remote
  • 4K HDR support

This box will benefit from the new S922X soc, with the powerful cluster of A73 cores.
It should be able to software decode any fHD Widewine L1 DRM contents, thus allowing a great experience with add-on such as Netflix on Kodi.

Official information on the bee-link website and forum

Detailed specifications

• Brand: Beelink
  • Model: GT-King
  • Type: TV Box
  • CPU: S922X Quad-core ARM Cortex-A73 and Dual-core ARM Cortex-A53
  • GPU: Hexa-core ARM G52 MP6 Graphics
  • RAM: 4GB DDR4
  • ROM: 64GB eMMC
  • WiFi: 2.4G/ 5G WiFi
  • LAN: 1000M
  • Bluetooth 4.1
  • Amlogic Video Engine (AVE) with dedicated hardware decoders and encoders
  • Support multi-video decoder up to 4Kx2K@60fps+1x1080P@60fps
  • Supports multiple video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding H.265/HEVC Main/Main10 profile @ level 5.1 High-tier; up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
  • VP9 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K@60fps
  • H.265 HEVC MP-10@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@60f
  • AVS2-P2 Profile up to 4Kx2K@60fps
  • H.264 AVC HP@L5.1 up to 4Kx2K@30fps
  • H.264 MVC up to 1080P@60fps
  • MPEG-4 ASP@L5 up to 1080P@60fps (ISO-14496)
  • WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080P@60fps
  • AVS-P16(AVS+) /AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to 1080P@60fps
  • MPEG-2 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps (ISO-13818)
  • MPEG-1 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps (ISO-11172)
  • RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 1080P@60fps
  • HDMI 2.1 output up to 4K@75Hz
  • HDMI 3D video formats
  • HDMI HDCP 2.2
  • AV(CVBS) 480i/576i
  • USB3.0, USB2.0, HDMI, LAN, AV jack, SD card slot, DC in, SPDIF
  • Power Type: External Power Adapter Mode
  • 12V-1.5A 18W Certification
  • Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz , Output: 12V 1.5A
  • Product size: 10.8 x 10.8 x 1.53 cm / 4.25 x 4.25 x 0.60 inches
  • Product weight: 190g
  • Package Contents : 1 x TV Box, 1 x 2.4G Voice Control, 1 x Power Adapter, 1 X HDMI Cable, 1 X User Manual

some very early reviews:

I’m happy to see a post about it here.

I own one and I hope Coreelec will be ported soon :slight_smile:

I still use my mini mxIII-II actually in dual boot custom android tv rom from freaktab and coreelec.

In my opinion this s922x chipset is a nice step forward compared to s905x.

We can add support when the Team gets their hand on this board. It requires some kernel and lot of uboot work.

For now only N2 is supported and Khadas VIM3 will be added when we receive our boards.

2 Likes

I agree, hoping they will make CoreELEC work with this device…

Our aim is to work together with vendors. If you want this please ask Beelink for it.

I talked to Beelink and they don’t seem to care about CoreELEC :frowning:
Which is not very encouraging :frowning:

yes, users should support the CoreELEC development team here.
I guess than a first way to do so would be to ask Bee-link to send some samples and to contribute to the porting effort.

If you feel it, as users, send an email to beelink.china@gmail.com and ask them to help the CoreELEC community !

2 Likes

That is a good idea. But free devices is not everything. We need vendor support. Thank you

I agree with Mr. Broleke, send them an email and include this forum and specifically what you can do for them. They WILL send you one of their boxes… They have sent me one, and it arrives Tuesday. From my conversations with them, they are excited to have CoreELEC running on their box…

You should have one in your hands by the first week in June.

beelink.china@gmail.com

We have send them an official request like 2-3 weeks ago and they agreed to send boxes for the Team when mass production hits. I skyped with them and nothing moved forward until then. They always keep asking the same questions.

I think this is not up to the development team to push, but to the GT King users to actually ask and request for vendor support.

I mean that anyone interested in buying this box should be sending an email to Bee-link.

We have LibreComputer, Hardkernel and Khadas people in our slack and it is never a problem to receive developer samples for the team. But this is more customary. More importantly we get a good vendor support with vendor developers sharing board and Amlogic information.

So I am not looking for free boxes only. To me it is also a concern that they sold fake ram boxes to be honest.

Yes, I see your point Ray.

I only hope that - as users - we can help Beelink people understand they need to provide a real vendor support if they want the community to come up with a well supported OS alternative.

I appreciate your help!

Anybody that has frequented the Freaktab and Beeelink’s own forums will know only too well that Beelink have no interest in providing decent customer and developer support.

Many times they have stated that they are listening and improving, only to then show, time and time again that words fall on deaf ears because they are only really interested in box shifting.

Sadly people keep buying their product and give them reason not to care that much about after sales support.

They rely solely upon third party devs such as Superceleron on Freaktab to improve firmwares using their own personal desires to help users out.

Don’t buy and then they might just listen.

Unfortunately, sites that directly support vendors and get advertising revenue from them, such as Freaktab do little to put pressure on them to provide better products out of the box and further support.

The likes of Odroid have at least showed some real commitment on all fronts, that has users excited about the product and having a reasonable degree of confidence in them, which ends up with am everybody wins situation.

Beelink are perfectly aware of what could aid further sales but simply can’t be bothered to put the effort in o create and everybody wins situation and users are continually placing too much hope and trust in them (and other vendors/manufacturers), so a vicious circle is created when doing the same thing again and again does not bring about change for the better.

1 Like

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you are comparing a SBC designer/manufacturer targeting at niche markets, and thus committed to their community of users, to a wholesale manufacturer/supplier targeting at mass markets.
I think there is room for both worlds, but maybe I’m being naive.

1 Like

I don’t agree with the niche statement. I am willing to give Beelink a chance though. They can move over being a proper vendor like the good ones we know in this business.

I sent an email to them to ask their full support to coreelec team.

I know I buy to them hardware and not software.

In my opinion, they do not have skills inside to provide good software dev to fit our desires but they could at least provide support to developers.

1 Like

Four or five years ago, Beelink gave away 20 of their NEW Ubox (RK3288), so people could test the hardware and software. They did implement some of the suggestions. They do really try. I am still running Ubuntu on that box.

1 Like