[S922X] Bee-link GT King

Is that the reason why @Ray is not active here ? :slight_smile:

No, it isnā€™t.

OK, hope itā€™s nothing serious and heā€™ll be back soonā€¦

Look like a fantastic package at a reasonable price. Wonder about cooling though.
Coming through gearbest makes it considerably cheaper than the N2 in Europe,

Shoog

seems not cheap, I prefer N2.

In Europe an N2 will set you back ā‚¬110 plus the cost of an eMMC. That will be at least ā‚¬40.00 more than the Beelink. In America you may have a point.

Shoog

The GT1-K runs considerably hotter than the N2, my N2 idles at around 35c, the GT1-K idles at 55c, bear in mind that I live in a cooler climate as well.

I have not tried stress testing it yet but I imagine when I do the temperatures will climb dramatically and thermal throttling will kick in.

Just as i suspected, and it looks quite a challenge to add a decent heatsink and fan to that tiny little case.

Shoog

So I just did some basic stress testing and the temperature rose to 73c within seconds at which point thermal throttling kicked in and the cpu frequency was lowered and the temperatures started to drop back a bit.

I think this goes to show that for those who claim to have done very precise calculations and have rated the N2 ā€˜radiatorā€™ to have a poor efficiency clearly donā€™t have a clue considering you can overclock the N2 and stress it out to your hearts content without it ever engaging thermal throttling.

We also booted the Beelink GT1-King with the HK kernel which apparently also has no support for other models :innocent:.

Right now, my King running under Android idles at around 40C, with ambient temp around 21C. Running a high bitrate 4k UHD rip, the temp goes up to around 52 or 53c. This is Kodi 18 using Emby skin. I am using the Android CpuTemp app to display the temp overlay at the top of the screen.

@clarkss12 fortunately our OS reports the real temperatures, do not believe anything you see in Android, remember the fake RAM?

temp

For me it would still be a good enough package to be worth adding the heatsink and fan, but its a shame that a recognised brand is still getting this basic stuff wrong.

The boxes would likely run fine for quite some time, but those sorts of thermal stresses will shorten the life of the silicone and ancillary components. If there are any caps on the board then expect them to be the first things to go taking everything else down with them. You halve the life of a cap with every 10 degrees it operates above ambient. Almost every consumer electronics device I have seen fail started with heat stressed caps.

Shoog

After messing with U-boot and a few other things i have CE and LE up and running as far as 18.3 Kodi goes but havenā€™t spent much time looking at the emuā€™s or other things, so i am sure others here will have a working solution in the near future.

Personally for the money tho i think the N2 is still a better value and your right as Bee-link is not very generous and i only took a look at this box as a favor to someone i have done work for in the past.

I suspect that is HW decoded, is it? If so run some high bitrate 1080p with SW decode for half an hour and then check the temperature to get more relevant info.

1 Like

Do you miss me sweetie?

6 Likes

You have it running on internal eMMC? You have your changes online at GitHub?

Did, almost considered switching to Android :slight_smile:

image%20(2)

So we got a custom bootloader for the GT-King to work which is an important step as without it features like CEC, WOL, Sleep/Wake wouldnā€™t work, so you can expect all of things that never worked with S905/S912 chinese devices will work with this device because of this.

@Portisch has also fixed an issue we had with booting from sdcard.

Most things are working pretty good thanks to work we did on the N2, videos are working, except HEVC, this getā€™s decoded in SW and not HW and needs looking at.

1 Like

Great !
Any chance we can test this using a nightly?

No sorry, we are not ready for a public release yet as at least 2 of us have bricked these already in early testing and itā€™s a very hard device to recover for novice users.

Not having the schematic hasnā€™t helped also.

1 Like