Slow down of Hyperion.ng

Really? It’s running here on my S912 now for more than 5h without any slow down. What CPU you using? grabber? Frequency? Hyperion.conf? What SD card is used where CE is running?
When a lot of operations are happen or a old SD card is used it can lead to frame skipps and problems. I use a class 10 SD card.

Not a slowdown, system hang. Mecool K1 Pro (S905D), grabber amvideocap0 with all by-default settings (10 FPS), conf-file created from scratch, CE internally installed. System hangs exact same way as with previous test version (with sound looping).

You know “CE internally installed” isn’t supported officially? I never get a complete system hang.
The version before was crap - just compare it to the release 9.0.1. Before starting a video open a ssh connection or better UART connection and enter this: journalctl -f -o short-precise -k or this if using uart: echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
This will print out dmesg “live” to the console so I if it hangs maybe the last lines give info about it.

Of course :slight_smile: But this is an only possible option for me, and i never had any similar issues with it on 4 my heavy-using devices. I got a total system hang only with this test builds. I will try to collect dmesg output while hanging, thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

Just a guess: do you use the dirtyregions parameter with your S912? I don’t need it for mine S905 (there is no reason), could it be a reason for (in)stability in some manner?

Never heard about dirtyregions…

Testing with dmesg output collecting in progress :+1:

The subtitle fix isn’t included in this test version as it is based on 9.0.1.

1 Like

I tried on my S905 mecool KII PRO and system hang too.

Which Hyperion addon shall I try? I see 2, first 1 is hyperion.ng the other is only hyperion named.

Thanks for developing

Use the addon from the repo. Then start a SSH connection and enter this journalctl -f -o short-precise -k this will print dmesg live to the terminal.

Same here on Odroid C2 (CE on a eMMC-Module).
System hang after ~30min. Used Hyperion from Repo and the config file created with your last Test-Version. Grabber amvideocap0.
Later today i will make a log like Protisch mentioned in last post.

Edit: after install 9.0.1 again and watching tv until next slowdown: i was able to see at the start of the slowdown a very tiny skip back (last few pictures repeat) until slowdown starts - maybe this helps to find the root cause.

Portisch identified the cause. There just seems to be an issue in the implementation. I could not reproduce the hang on Lepotato. So we need logs.

1 Like

Here the logs with the system hanging in the end: https://pastebin.com/JzirgLdb

1 Like

Thanks, I will study the log tomorrow!

I also have developed a complete new implementation of frame capture. You will need to upgrade the image and the addon from here:

The OSD will use 10Hz grabbing frequency, the video is 1:1 like the frame rate. Also 4k should work - I can’t test it.

The new method isn’t finished yet but it is already working.

EDIT: I just have seen you have to stop a video before playing another one. When you switch to another video while a video is playing it will block the device and a reboot (power reset) is necessary.

2 Likes

@vevs you where testing with 4k video? video changed to 3840 x 2160 60 fps
I just have done tests up to 1080p.
Also the log shows the error BUG: scheduling while atomic, this is my fault…

hey - same issue here
my log can be found here:
https://pastebin.com/4pVW13wS

Yes, i’m almost always doing it that way.

Nope, i’ve tested only with 1080p video. This message appears every time i’ve used rewind/forward, seems like log bug too.

Looks like it doesn’t use smoothing for OSD, so it causes heavy strobe while menu fades in/out. I think, better to disable OSD grabbing at all, if no smoothing can be implemented.

Also, it seems that rewind/forward is totally broken in the latest build.

I found the bug and seeking and play video without stopping another video before is now working.
Only this combination will work!!

The OSD will now use 20Hz grabbing frequency, the video capture frequency is 1:1 like the frame rate.
Also 4k should work - I can’t test it.

EDIT: Forgot to update addon…
EDIT2: @vevs: I re-uploaded the tar file!

2 Likes

Thank you! Updated successfully, testing in progress :+1:

Edit: Seeking works just fine, now stability test!
Edit2: 4K content processed successfully (H264).