Slow down of Hyperion.ng

Oh thank you - have not heared of that yet. Will read into it. Is it “better” than libreelec?

You are aware that this is the CoreELEC forum, right?
Yes, it’s “better” than LE if you have an Amlogic based device (S905 or newer)

actually I wasn’t really - I was redirected here from users of another board. (I honestly assumed that this was a libreelec forum) Sorry my bad.

I love when someone just randomly jumps into a topic and asks totally unrelated questions. Can we please remove these unnecessary posts and focus on the issue?

1 Like

@Zeze21 upgrade your C2 to the last 9.0.1 release. Afterwards upgrade the system with the devel image from the link above. Also upgrade the hyperion.ng addon from the link above. You will find all needed information here on the forum.

Thank you so much - i will do that. Sorry for interrupting. It will never happen again. :slight_smile:

I did as you told me and the slowing down seems to be gone, but (with the same settings in my hyperion.config.json) i get a sort of flickering.
Here you can see what I mean:

here is my log:

IMHO, this is unrelated to the discussed issue. Check your data-pin and PSU connections: i had a similar flickering with bad wiring. Also, check if the baud rate is sufficient for your amount of LED and output FPS. But i suggest you continue research in another topic :wink:

@Portisch, oh my, I think this time you did it, entirely and completely! 8 hours at row - no slowdowns and no system halting at all! Thank you so much, dear sir :sunny:
It would be nice to get smoothing available whilst UI-grabbing and also adjustable FPS for video-grabbing. But it’s not so important after all major functionality works just brilliant now! I’m happy :blush:

@Zeze21 I guess you will need to increase baudrate. I use 115200 with my Arduino UNO R3:

"device": {
        "colorOrder": "rgb",
        "delayAfterConnect": 1000,
        "name": "MyHyperionConfig",
        "output": "/dev/ttyACM0",
        "rate": 115200,
        "type": "adalight"
    },

@vevs thx for keeping testing! My UI grabbing is smooth. I don’t know where to adjust this, if hyperion.conf or in the Arduino sketch!?
Adjustable frame grabbing frequency is not possible anymore as this was the reason for the slow downs! The paramter “frequency_Hz” and “amlogic_grabber” is unused in the new addon. It grabs now the frames as the video frame rate is - so a minimum of 24Hz for 24p material.
I think about a “limit” of the frequency as higher than 25Hz is useless. Also the CPU will have todo double work with 50/60Hz video framerate. So maybe I will only grab each second frame which should result to 25/30Hz. I have to to some more testing in this direction…

Thank you very much @Portisch !
I was able to test your new test image/hyperion yesterday for about an hour with live TV (you know that does not mean that much) but still now no slow down happend.
maybe tonight i can test it for an longer time. fingers crossed!
This could be the start of a whole new feeling with my loved C2!!!
Thank you again for your effort/time speding for us!

Test-results till now:

• UI grabbing: smooth, all fine
  • Video grabbing: smooth but more delayed (had to change smoothing time from 200ms (default) to 25ms (min) to get the feeling like before your changes).
    but i think smoothing just did not work before? because 200ms are a relatively long time…

Great job @Portisch :slight_smile:

1 Like

@andy5macht where is the smoothing parameter?
Now the grabbing frame rate is like the video frame rate.
As higher the frame grabbing frequency that lower the smoothing have to be.

Ah ok. did not know that.
i can take a look when i am at home again - somewhere in the config-page…cant tell you exactly. what i know is that it was at the bottom of the page.

Wow great job, now I am watching livetv since an hour and 0 slowdowns at the moment!!!

So one question, if I only want to grab videos and not the kodi UI, where can I config this? In “standard” hyperion I did it with kodichecker

there it is. sorry for german screenshot

It’s a Hyperion parameter in the “Image processing” section. I rolled back to the original CE and plugin just to make sure it doesn’t seem to me, and now i’m sure: UI smoothing doesn’t work properly. Smoothing - it’s an image postprocessing built-in the Hyperion, which interpolate color changes (in a set period of time) and spread result over desired FPS, regardless of grabbing FPS setting. Also, if a color change pretty fast (f.e. from white to black immediately), thanks to smoothing it “fades” stepless for some time. So we can have smooth output and “fluid” intercolor changes with any FPS (i use 50) although grabbing FPS is only 10 or original image changes too fast. In the latest build “fading” between color change have the right duration, but not stepless (jerky a bit). But frankly spoken i’m not so much care about UI :slight_smile: Video smoothing looks working ok, but i need more time for testing (need to find an appropriate testing video first).

Yes, my thoughts are same :slight_smile: Maybe it’s a good idea to make adjustable delimiter for each major FPS via config.

Not certainly in that way :slight_smile: As i said above, smoothing not only for increasing output FPS but also for the color change time interpolation (which is good for visual experience).

Disagree, see above.

I do not have any value for smoothing:

And it is smooth:

I also tested the frames/second detection and it can be automatically calculated. So I will limit the capture if frequency > 30Hz to capture only each second frame.

Really strange. Maybe you should try to change settings level to “Expert”? But even with “Default” I have this setting:

Camera doesn’t reproduce slight flickering. I really don’t want to bother you with UI-grabbing (as it’s not so important), but if you want to see difference by yourself - you have to rallback to original CE, and then I would suggest you the best way to see that difference.

Good news, thank you again :slight_smile:

Edit1: I think I found the way to record the UI-smoothing issue. I’ll try do it and upload video tomorrow.
Edit2: Here is the link to a couple of slow-mo videos, both filmed with exact same Hyperion configuration and at the exact same speed. There clearly seen that generic build has more “steps” in fading effect that test build has. I think that’s because test build ignores smoothing FPS setting (25Hz in my case) and uses grabbing FPS setting instead (but it honoring smoothing duration setting somehow, as color not blanking immediately).

I could not see any flickering or any annoing thing. so GUI is “fine/smooth enough” for me.
I am totaly happy how hyperion performs now
(live tv for about 2-3 hours and NO SINGLE SLOWDOWN, amazing!!)
@Portisch you really did a great job!

thx!

Here is the last test version before I push it to the repo:
[Image] + [Addon]
Only this combination will fix the slow down issue!!

The OSD will use 20Hz grabbing frequency, the video capture frequency is 1:1 like the frame rate.
If the frame rate is more than 30 frames per second only every second frame is captured.
Also 4k should work - I can’t test it.

Please upgrade booth! Image (devel-1553760991) and addon (9.0.1.100.2)!

Edit: Maybe you will need this in hyperion.conf.json if no LEDs are on:

"instCapture": {
        "systemEnable": true,
        "systemPriority": 250,
        "v4lEnable": false,
        "v4lPriority": 240
    },
2 Likes