Slow down of Hyperion.ng

Also I upgraded the hyperion source to the latest state. Maybe there is a bug, contact the hyperion forum.

I upgrade my main system in the livingroom. All fine with “echo 3 | tee /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/double_write_mode” option in autostart.sh

Play some 4K HDR Files. Nice and smooth. Never seen this before on my S905X box.
Stress Test this weekend.

How can i disable grabbing in main menu? Black screen is for me no good solution.

Looks like “kodiVideoChecker” does not work in this build. Can you fix this @Portisch

so… will the next coreelec update integrate this? (i.e. will the next version work out of the box?)

@sunnyfunny right now it is hardcoded. You may make a new issue when it is Amlogic related: https://github.com/Portisch/hyperion.ng
If the issue is a general issue of hyperion go to the developer repo: https://github.com/hyperion-project/hyperion.ng

@Zeze21 It will be tomorrow in the nightlies and when everything is ok in the next release.

Last try here, i promise :slight_smile: Uploaded new slow-mo vids, link the same.

Nope :slight_smile: Try to watch my videos intently. The first thing i did prior to report the issue - played with smoothing (and hardware-related) settings a lot.

I’ll do it, thanks. But please, take a look at my videos anyway :innocent:

You can see on both videos that it is smoothing. On the new one it is a little bit more stepped you are right with that. But do you see the difference from the couch? I didn’t even see it.

Smoothing in Hyperion = color transition interpolation + LED output FPS adjustment, not only an interpolation. Maybe i should say “working incorrectly” instead of “not working”? Ok :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, yes. And not just see, it bothers and distracts me from time to time.

That’s exactly what i said earlier:

Totally agree with that (now) :smiley: . The key question is still if its Portisch’s mod related?:thinking:

Many thanks for all your hard work! I will update to this and test it this weekend!

@vevs I tested your YouTube video and the reason is the low frame rate. No “normal” video will have this low fps. Download it and recode it with a higher FPS. When smoothing is not working got to the hyperion forum.

1 Like

Youtube test video has regular 24Hz. My latest slow-mo videos (screen + LED) was recorded with another test video (i’ve uploaded it to the same place if you are interested), which has 25Hz. And if the reason is the low framerate - why “stepped transition” issue doesn’t reproduce with same videos on original Hyperion?
Anyway, thank you again for your great efforts, results overcome all my expectations :blush: And as i promised, i leaving this thread, moving to Hyperion forum with my whims :slight_smile:

There will always be issues. You fix one it’s working and there will at least be one other person who has some weird issue.
Hyperion slowdowns were there since I can remember and even though I knew about it I honestly didn’t care much because it didn’t affect me. At least you guys found @Portisch. So if there will be new issues someone might fix it.

1 Like

Tested it and all seems perfect for me, no more slowdowns after watching serveral hours of different types of video and all seems to working fine.
Thanx again for your great work!!

Hi,
Tested while 3 days with different videos and working well.
Thanks so much !

Thx for testing!

The modifications are already included in the nightlies. Please update your system with the nightly tar file. Minimum 20190329!
If you have installed the nightly you can update the hyperion addon from the nightly repo too.

4 Likes

Thanks, tonight I’ll try to uptade to the latest nightly!

Many many thanks for your great job and efforts to solve this problem.

Now I am happy to have my ambilight running again! All running fine thaks to your job

Hi, I just updated to the latest 20190404 nightly build to test Hyperion.NG 9.1.100.x.

Can it be that the Forwarder is no longer working in version 9.1.x? I’m using the Forwarder service to send information to a Raspberry Pi on my network, which runs Hyperion on it.

After downgrading Hyperion.NG to version 9.0.1.100.1 everything works fine again. After upgrading again to 9.1.x, the Forwarder doesn’t seem to send any information to my Raspberry Pi.

I first thought it’s the capture device, however the LED Visualization on the web interface is working fine, so my next guess is the Forwarder service.

I see a lot of these error messages in the log, however, I don’t know if they’re related:
[hyperiond FLATBUFCONNECTION] (ERROR) Unable to parse reply

@AndySchnips I never used this option. I think you have to go to the hyperion forum to search for a solution.

Just found a “bug”. The frame rate is 0 when video get paused. So hyperion does not working until resume of the video…

@Portisch abusing of your work and patience…

Will be possible to “port” your fixes to the normal hyperion version? This version has some cool features that ng doesn’t, like kodicheck options to decide when to turn on/off the leds, it can be “controlled” from the hyperion android app and some values that can be modified in the hyperion.config.json that are removed in ng.

Please consider it, if it’s simple to apply your patches.

Thanks once more for your great job!