[SOLVED] A95X MAX S905X2 cannot boot CE

not sure what that is…post a pic…
with mine I got the A95X boot splash briefly then after a few more seconds the coreelec logo came up…the new horny one with the red design…then it just loads kodi…
I should add that the ‘toothpick method’ only needs to be done for the first boot, after that it just boots from the usb drive…

Not exactly like this, because mine is A95X MAX, but something like this.

From your picture it looks like you have Rockchip and not Amlogic box… This is a reason

This is why I explicitly stated that mine does not look like exactly like this, because mine is an A95X MAX B not a rockchip

check in android in AIDA and make a correct screenshot in android and from recovery…
I didn’t find any MAX B version in google… something is different in your box… need to understand what

This is how it looks like

@boot2k3
What should I do?
This is the Aida for the box.
image|374x500

You should read this thread more closely, there’s a post with an updated cfgload file to make CE work on A95X boxes.

@TheCoolest
I am using the 2019 08 24 ng coreelec which already contains the updated cfgload.
based on the changelog:

e451c73b2a: Sat Aug 24 22:00:14 2019 +0200 - cfgload: fix loading of CoreELEC kernel (Portisch)

I also tried manually overwriting the cfgload based on @Pelican post, but with no luck.

1. try different SD card or different brand sd card
  2. try via reset button again
  3. try also reboot update from android terminal if step 2 doesn’t work on new sd card also…

@boot2k3

1. I am using USB, not SD card. The USB drive does not have any problem, because I just booted CE on a different S905X2 box with the same USB drive (with different dtb.img though)
  2. The reset button located in the AV, right?

It says Rockchip A95x R2 8189.
How do you know if it is not a RK3328 box?
I would open it and check what is inside…

Now that CE will run on this box, I wonder if anybody using it can confirm that a drive connected to the internal bay can be seen by CE and if so, with the SATA interface being tied to the USB controller, would this enable CE to be run from a HDD/SSD?

The internal SATA-Drive work with CE use GUID Partition Table (GPT)

GParted and GPT

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation.

Hi, I have read your posts, and I noticed that you mention the SATA interface is tied to USB controller, not the PCIe controller?
Am I misunderstanding that?
If I use the box as a download station with docker from coreelec, is that suitable?

From all of the revies that I have read/watched it seemed clear that there is a USB 3 to SATA controller, which results in the read/write speeds of say an SSD, will be a little short of the eMMC, which from memory, is around 140Mb/s read and 106Mb/s write, which is way short of the capabilities that you might hopeful but perhaps indicative of either/or the SOC capabilities and a way to give additional functionality and keep the cost down.

As to it’s suitability for your task, I’m guessing that the speeds might be the most persuasive aspect.

Thanks for your reply.
Since I have only 1000Mbps network, and 2.5 HDD, I think it’s “OK” to satisfy the task

I can confirm that using the method described by @confused works for A95X F2

• Downloaded the -ng Generic nightly.
  • Used the s905x2_4g device tree
  • Copied cfgload from 2 folder in first gDrive link in OP from @Pelican to the SD card
  • Boots and ethernet works (however, I only get 2.5Mb/s when transfering files from computer to device. Doesn’t matter if it’s to the SD card in the device or the connected USB3 HDD, With Pi4 I get 16-18Mb/s.)
  • Video auto switches to HDR10 per source (can’t manually force TV into HDR10 mode, so functional auto switching is perfect)

Could the slow ethernet be because of wrong drivers ?