(SOLVED) Netflix Frame Skip Temporary Solution

Here is proper Netflix forum
and link to proper repository

After updating to the latest Widewine Iā€™ve been testing the scene from ā€œOur planetā€ a lot. At the beginning I had lags and skipping frames as well in my Odroid N2. I started to play with the InputStream and found out that there are 2 streams with 1080p. Try switching off the automatic stream selection, at the manual setting you will be able to select specific video stream.
The stream with lower bitrate works fine with with my device although it jumps to 15 out even more Mbps occasionally, the quality is still very high for meā€¦ If it works with your box to, then you have to play with Max Bandwidth setting an you can set the auto stream selection back.
Maybe users which donā€™t have problems with lags have slower internet and the lower bitrate video stream is selected automatically (mine is 100mbps so the higher bitrate stream was selected)?

N2 should be able to display those episodes with highest bit rates in 1080p. If you disable VP9 in inputstream.adaptive and set Bandwidth to 0, N2 should play E1 4-6min sequence (with bit rates spiking to 25Mbps) without any frame skip. My N2 does it without problem on 50Mbips connection; itā€™s always on automatic inputstream.adaptive setting and selects highest 1080 stream available.
If your N2 has any frame skips on mentioned sequence, than something else is the causeā€¦

Edit: one ā€œlittleā€ detail I forgot to mention, my N2 runs always with max CPU overclock:
max_freq_a73=ā€˜2004ā€™ and max_freq_a53=ā€˜1992ā€™ so thatā€™s probably the cause :slight_smile:

I cannot find the VP9 setting in the InputStream. Am I blind or is it hidden somewhere?

My N2 is not overclocked, but I think a bit of MHz would do the job

Hmm, then itā€™s in NF settings somewhere, probably under Expert, my badā€¦

I had the VP9 profile off I NF expert section. Iā€™ve switched it on for a test but the video was very laggy, especially when there was the moment with loads of fishes.
How much do you overclock the box and how do you do it? Does the box get very hot or you have no problems with that setting?

Hot with that heatsink SIZE ? You must be joking :slight_smile: My idle temps in idle and hardware decoding are low 40es and with software decoding are low 50es. The highest temp I could get my N2 while extensive testing when I decided to overclock it was 58Ā°C.

How to overclock N2 was discussed in another topic, so do a little searchā€¦

Hello folksā€¦Dont know which lately update (chrome OS image,Netflix,Coreelec)caused the issueā€¦But now even on 720p i have small drop frames/lags about each 7-8 seconds.Anyone could give me a solution please?

Hi all,
Iā€™ve just successfully installed Netflix on my Le Potato with CE 9.2.4.2. I suffer from lagging pictures for high res/high bandwidth video - CPU struggles at 100%. So either itā€™s missing usage of hardware video decoding, or the problem described above with newest widivine not being good. I tried to download older versions from the links @Sholander provided (thanks!), but both give me a 404. Can anyone help me out with a good file?
Thanks!
Hauke

Which resolution are you trying to watch? Netflix is SW decoded so only S922x can play 1080p smoothly.

Your new/old widevine is not the cause for lagging. Your box with S905X processor can handle max 720p resolution with this addon, since it can work only with software decoding.
Just stick to the newest version and lower the output resolution to 720p for uninterrupted stream reproduction.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Do you perchance know from the top of your head if a Raspberry Pi 4 would be capabale of 1080p?
And - reading a bit more - it seems hardware decoding with widivine requires a license for the SoCā€¦ Is that theoretically available/can one buy it to set free hardware decode? Like the MPEG license on the old Raspberries?

Donā€™t know about RPi4, but 3 cannot do 1080p.
Needed Widevine L1 for hardware decoding cannot be bought, it has to be licensed to a hardware manufacturer, which is not easy nor cheep. And then Netflix has to certify the hardware also to enable hardware decoding their streams. Only few boxes have that NF certificate (Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Google Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield TV); most top brad smart TVs, as well as most premium Android phones with Widevine L1 are certified by Netflix

Installed LibreELEC 9.2.5 on my Pi 4, Netflix and all, and lo and behold, 1080p works with quite a bit of headroom in the CPU load (maxā€™es at~ 80%, typical itā€™s more at 40%). So Iā€™m afraid itā€™s time to retire Le Potato for the time being - LibreELEC is getting good enough for me in other aspects also.
Unfortunately this means good bye to CoreELEC also - thanks to all for all the work! Keep going!

Can you indulge my curiosity, can you try Our Planet Ep1 around 4 min, and if possible with debug info showing to see if there are skipped frames. One more thing, this is not a CoreELEC vs Libreelec thing. You just compared and old device to a new one. If you use a S922x, rpi4 will be blown out of the water.

OK, the mass bird scenes indeed overwhelm the RPi 4 and I have frame skips - CPU touches 100%. However, I must say that RPi copes better in the sense that audio and image stay in sync, while with Le Potato image started to lag behind sound, which is much more disturbing, if not unbearable.
On the CoreELEC <-> LibeELEC thing: I know that these projects have a history, but honestly: I donā€™t care very much. I have no feelings in the one or other direction. My goal is to have a sufficiently working media center matching my needs with hopefully not too much effort. I know this is not the best attitude to an community project, being just a consumer, but Iā€™ve too many projects on my plate to add contributing to these projects myself. Still, I tipped some developers with a few bucks, at least this way I could give a bit back.
CoreELEC was always better on Amlogic, so I stayed here - with RPi CoreELEC is just not available, so Iā€™m back at LibreELEC.
My main lesson learned actually is: Do not buy a young ā€œnicheā€ SBC. Le Potato, even several years after coming into the market, still has no complete open source base that allows use of current kernels full featured. Raspberry with its strong background and community just has the advantage here, despite RPi 4 being a bit dissapointing in terms of innovation. But I try to stay in the RPi eco system, since RPiā€™s that get old still serve me for other projects, while Le Potato most likely will catch dust here now. Only reason then was H.265 support, which I needed.

Sorry if I made you think that I was referring"history" between CoreELEC and Libreelec. I was just saying it wasnā€™t a question of which one you used, itā€™s a question of hardware. S905x3 behaves a bit like you said regarding rpi. It doesnā€™t handle the more intensive stuff, only the S922x has that power. Just one thing, you can always use the LePotato as a secondary device, it achieves 720p in netflix and is still a pretty good media device. I wouldnā€™t mind having one.

I agree, hardware-wise Le Potato is a decent machine! And Amlogic media performance in hardware is better than Raspberry Pi. Itā€™s the software side that is lacking. I am still not 100% decided what to do. currently I am only in the test-30 days of Netflix, not sure if I keep it, so if I donā€™t, the point becomes muteā€¦

For streaming Netflix and other paid services, I suggest grabbing a FireTV stick rather than trying to hack it together on CE.

You may be right. I donā€™t like Amazon, so it will not be the Fire stick, but what definitely works is just using my Windows tablet. Itā€™s a bit more effort, since I need to connect it to the monitor and sound every time, but in the end it just works.