[solved] Odroid N2 power up behavior?

Hey there,

I already posted my issue last week in the Odroid N2 section, but so far I got no answer.
Maybe some of you folks in here can help me?

I am planning to migrate from my IntelNuc + LibreElec setup to an Odroid N2 + CE.
My question is, what is the default behavior of the Odroid N2 when he gets supplied with power?
Does he boot straight into CoreElec, or can he be configured to wait for an infrared command from a remote?

If not can the odroid N2 be setup to do so (without further hardware)?

Currently the powersupply of my NUC is coupled with my av-receiver. If he get’s powered up the NUC also get’s power but waits for a ir signal to boot.

I would like to keep this setup with the N2, possible?

cheers Stephan

ODROID-N2 boots instantly when a power is supplied, there is no module to receive IR. But since you are planning to use CE which supports power resume by IR and CEC, you could let ODROID-N2 in suspend mode and waking up with IR remote.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, what would be the behavior if the Odroid gets powered down when in suspend mode/repowered after suspend mode?

I believe it would not cause any file corruption/hw degradation issues to power down a suspended CE box?

I assume the suspend information/data is kept in RAM and not on eMMC so it would be lost after a power down/up in suspend mode and the box would boot back up into CE ?

Once you pull power, the board will start up when you plug it back in.

1 Like

Thank you @TheCoolest and @tobetter or the clarification, I will have to find my own solution then.
Good to know beforehand.

cheers Stephan

Is the odroid supposed to have a splash screen when booting ?

Shoog

Mine has, and can use any of my choice…

None with mine, but it maybe due to the N2 not recognising the native resolution of my Samsung TV as petitboot was corrupted as well.

Shoog

You can set/force startup resolution to match your tv.

It looks like N2 with CE on SD CARD doesn’t support suspend nor resume and for that reason it belongs back to LilliputUK and HardKernel.

It supports it just fine. Search the forum, there are plenty of posts about it.

Out of the box CE N2 cannot be suspended.
In fact, I have been trying to get to the bottom of it for the passed hour.
KODI suspend command and SSH suspend command is powering it off and only power cycle can bring it back to life again.
So with all due respect and regardless of how much I like the box, it’s unsuitable for it’s purpose.

I never saw any point in using suspend on these boxes, but indeed there are a few steps required to make it work.

1 Like

It’s crucial requirement.
Single CE remote only needed.
When you done playing with your precious box, pressing one single power button on your CE remote will suspend your box and switch off your TV and AVR.
By pressing same button on the same remote will resume your box and switch on you TV and AVR.
How’s that not quintessential functionality of TV box?
If N2 is stripped of such a meaningless in your opinion functionality it belongs back to HardKernel’s warehouse.

When a box idles at 5W its not really significant whether its switched off between uses. This is lower than most entertainment equipment in standby. They also do all their housekeeping duties overnight such as running webgrab+ and library updates - so that they do not interfere with normal use when on. Remember as well that even when off your brick power supply will still be consuming electricity anyway.

I never switch either of my boxes off and they consume less electricity than the hallway light which is always on. If this is so important to you - then yes send it back.

Shoog

It’s just my personal opinion and preference, I don’t suspend my boxes. I can use my TV remote if I need to control both the TV and CE with a single remote.
But check this post, it should help get you started.

My flagship Marantz AVR uses 0.5W with CEC in standby. My TV (65" OLED) uses 0.3W. There is a huge difference to 5W.
If i would leave all my devices running without standby, i would easily have a power consumption of 150W. All day long.

Just to add my 2 cents…
I prefer to have my whole setup on a power bar (with a remote switch) as I don’t want to draw unnecessary power. Not only with the N2 but with other platforms I used in the past I had the problem that they auto-boot on AC return even when turned off before removing AC power.
First, I don’t want to have the HTPC power up when my son is willing to play with PlayStation or my wife just want to watch a DVD…
Second, I had problems with resolution handshake between the HTPC and A/V Receiver, TV screen, I had some bad experience with that in the past…
Also, with the Logitech Harmony setup it can be a mess with pre-powered devices, etc…

So, I have made a little script placed in autostart.sh that detects if a real screen is connected or not, and if no real screen is detected (because A/V receiver or TV not powered-on), the HTPC will poweroff immediately after being powered-on. With this script, my system will auto shutdown when powering the whole system and will be power-on by Logitech Harmony remote when needed.

Please let me know if anyone is interested, but be aware that this can be very setup-dependent and tricky if some problems arise.

I was been over pessimistic, 5.5W is the on heavy load power state. Idle is 1.8W.

Shoog

Would be interested to see this. I have had problems trying to reliably detect my TV turning on and off, and doing the same with my N2.