The Future: Odroid N2

I read on the Hardkernel forum that you can boot via usb using SPI. I understand it’s not supported but looks like it’s technically possible.

As @TheCoolest said “Currently there’s no support”

To add support for booting from both eMMC and sdcard we had to patch u-boot and with our changes USB booting is not currently supported regardless of if you are using the SPI flash or not.

Thanks for the clarification

Small demo of 4K HDR playback with Subs, this was streaming a ~15GB HEVC via the HK WiFi Module 5A, 0 dropped/skipped frames, no stuttering

5 Likes

I know this Thread here is long but try to scroll back a little as we talked about this before. All those questions keep popping up again and again.
eMMC is way faster, you can compare it to SSD vs. HDD on a PC. tar update takes 1-2s. If you use IO intensive stuff in your Kodi (lots of cached covers etc.) you should see an improvement.

But also the SD speed with my SanDisk Ultra card is very good. Even without eMMC this thing is super fast. So if you don’t want to spend the extra on eMMC it’s totally fine.

And before the is this question again about the Adapter. You don’t really need it. I edited the script I wrote for the LePotato eMMC installation. So you can pop in the emmc and boot from a temporary SD card and install to eMMC. It will also move your userdata. So you can just remove the SD card after that and it will boot from eMMC. If you ever need to repair something because you made a bad update/downgrade just insert a SD card and you can repair it from within CE. But I personally find the microSD to eMMC Adapter very handy. I don’t have the USB3 to eMMC Adapter.

2 Likes

Odroid N2 Shipping Delays ,
Please post HERE

Is emmc compatible from c2 or rock64?

From C2 yes. No idea about rock64.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6279&pid=39162#pid39162

https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/emmc/reference_chart

I’ve no idea what the pins do in that guys post analysis.
I’ve got a Rock64 eMMC 64GB that I’ll try when i get my N2

Yes, I have it tested

1 Like

Just a question I can’t see anyone else asking. Do you need an official IR remote to power on the N2?

I will almost guarantee that you don’t. I have been using OSMC’s official remote for years on the C2 and various Raspberries, and all kinds of different kodi distros, without any issue whatsoever. Just plug and play.

No you don’t. There is this official HK remote and the advantage is that you can turn on the box from poweroff with the IR remote or wake it up from suspend. But our new u-boot + a change from HK developer will allow you to set your own IR wakeup keycode from within the running system.

We do support a variety of Remote configs out of the box. You can also use ir-keytable to create your own remote cfg file.
AMremote will no longer be supported since it got removed in 4.9 kernel.

1 Like

I did some Power consumption tests yesterday since we added WakeOnLan feature which increases power consumption a little bit because the ethernet is running. Interesting part is that it uses now 1.1W when powered off but it is using 0.8W when in suspend which is a bit weird. But I can highly recommend to use suspend which is super fast to turn on and off. And it seems like suspend is working without any issues (yet). Wakeup can be done (from poweroff or suspend) by WakeOnLan (can be disabled for power consumption reasons in boot.ini), CEC, IR, GPIO, RTC wakeuptimer. We are still working on CEC wakeup and @Portisch found a workaround that might work because it looks like the AMLogic closed source bl files have a bug.

Will it in suspend be able to backup the system to a remote location, I’m thinking with the backup add-on?

Can your PC do backups when it’s in sleep mode? Same here. (No)

The shield can every night at 3am. If you wan’t to backup the system what would be the preferred way to do this?

If the device is in standby then no as it is effectively off.

Leave the device running, it’ll use 1W more when idle than in standby.

Yes, if/when CEC is working will it be able to turn TV/AVR on/off and leave N2 running?