The Future: Odroid N2

ELEC works fine, but there is no 10-bit or HDR support.

2 Likes

This Device will be an Instant Buy, just have to wait until Pollin@Germany will have it on Stock in April :slight_smile:

Will the Odroid N2 be able to software decode Netflix at 1080p?

We don’t know yet. But wrxtasy said he is able to play 1080p NF with a slightly overclocked Odroid C2. The cpu on the N2 is 30% faster and the passive cooling is superb. Also we have the possibility to overclock already.

That’s not possible on a overclocked C2.
720p netflix SW decoding is the highest what you can get.

wrxtasy mentioned on the kodi forum that the ODOID N1 (RK3399) is able to do netflix 1080p SW decoding.
Hardware decoding of 10bit h264 Hi10P Anime is also possible he said.

So maybe it’s possible on the ODROID N2 too.

Here is the thread where’s he mentioned it.

It does handle 1080P H264 Hi10P with ease, at about 35-40% CPU load.
There’s no hardware decoding of H264 Hi10P, but software decoding is more than enough.

1 Like

Well idk that’s what he said on slack. He said specifically Odroid C2.

How long would you say before there is a stable build for the N2? My C2 seems to have packed it in and I now have the dilemma of waiting for the N2 to be available, and for a stable build to come out, or just pick up another C2… First world problems!

We don’t have any projections. I hope that we can make something (not necessarily stable) available by the time the N2 ships in April, but we can’t guarantee anything at this point, since we only just started working on it a few days ago.

1 Like

Does the framegrabber work with h265 content? Having 1080p netflix and h265 ambilight would be a real reason for me to upgrade.

It’s looking promising. We have a working build already. There are still a lot of issues but basic stuff works like GUI, SW decoding, CEC, and some HW decoding. @shanti also tested some of the retrogame stuff and it’s impressive. A lot of people on the Team got a N2 so people are motivated to get it to work properly.

But we will probably encounter a lot of issues we don’t know yet.

3 Likes

We haven’t tried yet. Currently there are other priorities like HW decoded playback.

2 Likes

1080P Netflix from an overclocked C2 is possible. It’s only a matter of keeping it cool.

What emulators is he able to run?
PCSX2? PPSSPP? N64?

There is unfortunately no PCSX2 for arm.

2 Likes

odroid.co.uk already listed the N2 available for pre-order and the 4GB model is €106.8.

1 Like

Okay, I need to visit the forum more often, I have missed news about this beast!
From both a benchmark perspective, and user pespective, what kind of advantages does S922 have over S912?

So i was just about spot on then.

Shoog

Yeah, good guessing :+1: . Now I’m curious how much it will be on pollin.de.

Given the fact that the CE team are putting their full weight behind the N2 and that it comes out of the box with mainline support - I would definitely be waiting for the N2 over any S912 box.
The S912 arrived with intrinsic design flaws (no drivers and thermal issues which meant that AMLogic lied about its clock speed and throttled it back to 1.5ghz) which have not gone away. There are just to many advantages to the N2 to seriously consider going with a S912. Its going to kill the market for VIM2’s in a shot.

Shoog