The Future: Odroid N2

C2 doesn’t have a rtc. There is the rtc shield and it has a battery included. Honestly I would spend the $2.50 :wink:

I bought the RTC backup battery with the soon to come N2 :wink:
On the C2 I don’t really care TBH.

Well I think that you don’t need it normally but when you plan rtc wakeups for recording etc. it might be worth it.

Maybe time to clarify sone things:

tl,dr:
Clock State (Standby / Powerdown / DC disconnect)
* No RTC-IC: (persistent / volatile / volatile)
* RTC-IC w/o battery (persistent / persistent / volatile)
* RTC-IC with battery (persistent / persistent / persistent)

CLOCK
Clock function is usually realized by CPU as SW-Clock.
But it is volatile, when board is powered down / disconnected from DC power.
After Powerup, the following options:

• With Internet access, SW-Clock will be automatically set to current time (-> NTP server).
  • Without Internet access, SW-Clock has to be set manually after each powerup

Clock function can also be realized by RTC-IC as HW-Clock
The benefit of a separate HW-IC is that it can be kept running by backup-battery, even when every other part of the board is disconnected from DC power. So time is persistent.

So the basic question is:
Why has HK implemented the RTC-IC (same as C2 RTC-shield) to the N2 board, but not the battery?
The answer:
Board in Powerdown operation. Here we have a difference.

• In C2 (without RTC-shield), the time is volatile.Even if board is powered, as CPU is in sleep, SW-clock not running.
  • In N2 (with/without battery), the time is persistent. As board is powered, the RTC HW-clock keeps running.

So basically the N2 without battery will have the same behaviour as C2 with RTC-shield & no battery inserted.

WAKEUP
Another benefit of HW-Clock by RTC-IC is the capability to realize a programmed wakeup event from Standby.
The RTC-IC can be programmed to generate an IRQ signal to the CPU at a certain time, which is detected by the bootloader and performs a bootup. This is only possible from Standby. When the CPU is powered down / disconnected from DC power, the IRQ is still generated, but cannot be handled…

2 Likes

Well another benefit is time on bootup. RTC is still a hw clock so when your board is powered down and you boot to a system that has no internet the clock will still be correct when it was set before or synchronized with NTP. But when the power is cut for some reason the rtc will not save the time.

1 Like

Our first test build for the Odroid N2 is now available for download:

Disclaimer: DO NOT attempt to install these images on any other device, as doing that will brick your device.

4 Likes

Does “EDUP EP-AC1619 AC600 USB WiFi” with Chipset Realtek 8811AU work on N2?

The Realtek 8811AU is the chipset in HK’s own wifi dongle, so yes, it should work.

@Sholander try our nightly on your current device, if it works then it will work on the N2.

Just ordered mine, my s912 is starting to show it’s age abit.

Can’t wait.

Matt

Can I asked where you ordered it from?

https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Matt

The MaxFALL and MaxCLL HDR metadatas are present?

I think it is, but we don’t have a 100% way of confirming that.

@anon88919003 did not buy it yet, just checking which one to order.

That chipset is fine, if it doesn’t work it will just be a case of adding the usb device ID to the driver, we did this for the mt7610u driver and expanded supported for many more dongles.

My TV did not support HDR,
so I put
echo 1 > /sys/module/am_vecm/parameters/hdr_mode
to Configfiles\autostart.sh as your wrote.
but not working, What I missed?

What do you mean not working?
Have you tried echo 0 to the same place?

hdr_mode is for HDR into SDR conversion. So when your TV doesn’t support HDR it will try to map the colors for SDR.
It is already in auto mode so you don’t need to do anything.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think no HDR to SDR, Because the picture is gray.