The Future: Odroid N2

That was my initial plan but was hoping it might be possible to it all on the N2 and avoid the need for a second box.

Thanks, just the info I needed.

Iā€™ll stick to tape I think. Knowing my ā€œmad DIY electrical skillz,ā€ if I try applying heat to it Iā€™ll set the thing on fire.

Do you know if the eMMCs that were sold along the C2 are compatible with the N2 ? Iā€™m not very familiar with eMMCā€¦
I had a C2, didnā€™t like the fact that it didnā€™t have HDR, so got a Khadas Vim1, but the N2 seems a lot better, especially for the gigabit ethernet, that limits the Vim1 a lot for 4k content, and I find it very finicky anywayā€¦ If i can re-use my C2 eMMC i would.

If you search this thread youā€™ll see that it was mentioned several times that a C2 eMMC should be compatible with the N2.

1 Like

Telestar Digibit R1 or similar device.
It runs opensource firmware:

@Adam Didnā€™t I see ts mentioned in the datasheet or was I dreaming?

@Comma @Daaave tested this small script on CE to setup a RTC wakeup timer. It says wakeup in 3 min. Then I put my device in suspend. It woke up without issues as expected.

And I have no battery @Daaave :wink:

http://ix.io/1Fj6

2 Likes

Awesome thanks, do you use CEC and did your TV wake up also?

Yes this is working now without issues.

Could the timer be made as a option in the CE settings or would we need the script?

Sorry I didnā€™t quite get you if your TV did wake up, I mean it would be best if it did not wake since nobody is watching a backup being made, but I do understand if it did because of CEC.

Ah ok I thought you were asking if the N2 can wakeup by CEC. This is supported now too. You turn your TV on and N2 boots or wakes up from suspend.

Now your case:
You can disable TV wakeup by CEC in kodiā€™s peripherals menu.
About the timer script. It is just a proof of concept but I think there are methods to embed it in vdr and maybe tvh too. In your case you want to do backups then I would do it with cron. You just need to set the wakup date time everyday.

Tremendous. Battery only needed to startup from fully shut down then?

Super, I havenā€™t received the N2 yet, so Iā€™ll wait further on till then, thanksā€¦

I will test it but I donā€™t think so. And as I said suspend uses 0.8W and poweroff 1.1W so use suspend anyway ;). Will get back at you later.

Iā€™m pretty sure that the battery is only required if you intend to unplug it from A/C. As long as itā€™s plugged in, the RTC always has power.

FYI - Just asked HK when the N2 will be available and got this reply:

Dear,

We are checking its next production lead, but not confirmed date yet. We expect that it will back in stock in May.

Thanks,

Sienna

:frowning:
The advantage is that CE Beta will be released, and with automatic update perhaps.

I think they didnā€™t expect it to sell this good. Imo CE is already beta quality. Getting better everyday.

1 Like

DVB-T/T2 works with the N2: @adamg
So I went out and bought one in anticipation. AUD$29 which I thought was excellent value for a T/T2 usb tuner. Tested it on my Mecool M8S Pro L. The tuner worked OOTB with dvb latest drivers. Woo hoo!

Now I just have to wait until the N2 is back in stock. :disappointed:

I actually picked up the Xbox one tuner from someone on Facebook marketplace for Ā£5 :innocent: but yes I can confirm that it definitely works on the N2.

@TheCoolest is still running a build we made that is 1 month old so forgive his out-of-date knowledge on the subject matter.