The Future: Odroid N2

Well thats a huge difference because even if it can play correctly at 1080p60 the bandwidth for 4k24p is higher. So this could be fixed with HEVC buffer increase.

No Ray, it plays fine at 4K@60P, but stutters at 4K@24P. It’s not just stuttering, it drops frames like crazy.

I disagree. Any HEVC that has been PROPERLY encoded using Handbrake will play perfectly on s905/s922x I should think.

If you’re going to try to get every dodgy encode from every dodgy source to play on AML you’re going to be here forever.

I agree, on the whole. But there are sometimes issues that are more common than others.
Also, I wasn’t saying that we’re going to fix it, but investigate it. This sample does play fine, as far as I can tell, on my S905X box, so I don’t see a reason for it not to work on S922X either.

Did you try the 3 samples I created with Handbrake? If so do they look ok?

1 Like

Every single last one of them including original BD itself and your Avatar_RF samples show the problem.

What I found problem goes away for all samples when video is upscale to 4k by kodi.

Set 4k and remove 1920 from whitelist problem is gone.

Add 1920 to whitelist problem persists regardless of encoding method.

Incidentally noticed similar behavior in the posterization/cartoon effects people have been reporting yet here seems to be reduced rather than eliminated entirely by upscale to 4k.

This fixes both problems for me:
echo 0 > /sys/module/amvideo/parameters/sr0_sr1_refresh

How does the N2 compare to Minix Neo U9-H ?
I’ve used Odroid C2 then switched to minix to get better HDR support.
CE on the minix works totally fine with everything that I care for: HDR auto switching, HD audio passthrough, 4k video

is it worth to switch ?

Thank you

Although the N2 is much faster and the GUI feels snappier, there is no point switching your device, when you are happy with your current one.

2 Likes

yes, what I thought too, just wanted to know if there was something really special that N2 has compare to the minix.
I’ll stick to my minix
Thx !

Apart from SoC, it has USB 3.0 and eMMC, but lacks internal storage and wifi module…

Good evening and Happy Easter to everybody in this forum.
I just registered. I know CE as I already use it in my Mecool K1 Pro.
I am thinking to purchase the N2 if someone here can help me suggesting
an easy way to get audio out via toslink-
Sorry I am completely ignorant on technical so I need a very easy detailded guide and suggestions on the steps I should follow to get audio out from toslink.
If this is eventually possible, I am ready to purchase the N2 from England distributor.
I am Italian.
Thank you for your help and again Happy Easter.

Do you have a 4K/HDR TV or are you using a 1080P setup?

I have a 4K/HDR Tv. (Lg 65" C8)
I need optical out for driving my dolby surround speakers. Presently they are driven by Mecool K1 Pro sdpf optical out and work fine. I think that the N2 is superior quality but, as I said, I need the optical port on the N2 otherwise I will stay with the Mecool (CE driven of course)

Your TV has an optical output. You can use it to pass through the audio signal from the N2 to your speakers.
This will also let you switch on the fly between TV speakers and passthrough to your external speakers, using the TV’s sound menu.

Well it is a little more complicated.
I have a sony HT 5000 soundbar connected to TV hdmi arc port and the sound out from Tv is hdmi out.
My sounbar misses the rear spekers, therefore I am using a pair of Insignia rear speakers designed for adding rear speakers to soundbars that miss them as is my case,
The Insignia speakers are driven by a small receiver that is connected to the source (mecool K1 Pro in my case) via spdf.In this way this receiver decodes the rear spkrs signals and send it to the Insignia rear spkrs…
In fact my mecool is connected to the soundbar via hdmi and to the insignia receiver via spdf
And the system works flawlessly.
If I replace the Mecool with the Odroid N2 I need the spdf output.
Is there a way I can add it to N2?

Had to reread on how your setup is configured.
You can connect the N2 the same way your mecool is connected, but use the optical output on the TV instead of the mecool.

Sorry, I just tested it and it does not work. In the TV sound out menu I have to choose Hdmi-arc otherwise no signal arrives to the soundbar. I cannot choose both hdmi-arc and optical at the same time.One or the other. Than I need audio passtrough as in mecool/CE.
Therefore again I need the spdf output from N2.
What to do?

In that case you’ll need an “audio extractor”. A device that takes HDMI input and has HDMI + Optical outputs.
If you’re using the box to watch HDR content, you’re going to need one that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDR passthrough.

My 2017 LG tv can output hdmi arc and optical simultanously.
Check your tvs manual for Sound - Sound out - Optical/HDMI ARC
http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w18_mr/dvb/Apps/w4.0_mr_e01/e_eng/settings.html

@Pelican My Lg C8 (2018) cannot ouput hdmi arc and optical simultanously.
I think I will follow @TheCoolest advise trying to find out a Hdmi splitter with hdmi + optical outputs and capable to passtrough HDR and with Hdmi 2.0.
If someone can suggest a proper model (dont know if this is allowed in this forum), I will be grateful.
Thanks for help.