TrustOnX TOX3 S905X4 my experience

Yes stock is pretty powerful. But I struggle to find android app wich can compete with Kodi in terms of:

• changing interface for my needs
  • use trakt as torrent source
  • yatse is superior remote
  • can use tract to add movies to watch list at any time.

I been using Kodi on my new Sony tv from android TV.
It works nice, but can’t open some formats. And unable to power tv on and off. Can’t be loaded on boot.
I can’t get Vero V, because I live in Russia.
So I decide to check out TOX3

coreelec:dev [CoreELEC Wiki] generic :thinking:

How do i install using ceemmc? I just get device not supported and can only choose option 3 and 4.
Also my G60 controllers OK button does not work, any ideas?

I also had only 3 and 4 option, I used 3.
Can’t say about controller. Don’t use one.

Now I end up installing Kodi to latest tox3 frimware.
Works amazingly well. Granted root via magisk.
Fix code for powerOff screensaver. So Kodi can control TV.

How did you get the remote to work in coreelec?

Did you find your answer about the remote working in CE?

nope, i have bigger issues with the box though

Just a comment on this device. I know it does NOT support Dolby Vision, but some of my Dolby Vision rips play in HDR 10+, while some only play in HDR 10.
For a device less than $60 USD that is quite impressive. This box used to be less than $50 USD, but still a bargain.

Kudos to all of the Dev’s that made this possible.

I am also impressed and am glad I chose this box.
I had a better experience with the NG version than the NE version. I had trouble there.
Now I’m testing the Nithly NO version and I’m very impressed. Everything is going so well so far that Coreelec could even support this box ;). I would also like to give Coreelec a big compliment.

1 Like

Seems like I have to try the .no variants, for me the .ne Omega behaves badly on this box. I need to find out if its related to LG tv or other addons. Plexmod for Kodi, from dontpanick/ pannal is not nice, playing directly through NFS also skip’s some frames. Hope to test and tune more this weekend. Nice box, btw! And plenty of ROMs for it.
Talking about running CE from sdcards not from internal, maybe I should try it.

With the NO-Nightly-Build I had trouble establishing the SMB connection to my NAS for the first time. Then I tried over NFS, unfortunately it didn’t work either and then I tried again over SMB and suddenly it worked. I have no idea what caused it…
And now everything runs without interruption.

Did you VFD setup worked with the latest version? I had to downgrade to the previous version. Dunno if its related to my ATV slimbox 34 firmware?

NFS was broken by LE in last builds. But I think it should work again with last nightly build, not sure anymore.

Yes, VFD works. But i just placed the File that i had in the right folder.
I have the original latest Android-Firmware on emmc

1 Like

OK. When I tried it, I was on the older version. I will try again with the latest nightly to connect the NAS via NFS. Thanks for the hint

Later edit: forgot to mention that I used a microSD Sandisk card for testing the .no variant (I will try also to deploy a dual-boot config though cemmc -x command).

Ok, I had some spare time to play with the box BTW it’s the 4GB RAM 32GB nand.
.no variant works better than .ne, on Plex add-on from panal and NFS shares. No skipped frames or stutter, nice colors, HDR logo kicks (hdr10 and hlg, DV it’s shady).
NFS worked from the beginning, samba needed a few reboots to get alive.
VFD works also, just don’t activate the extra settings (last tab I think).
Remote conf. works for me, I use a Minix A3 lite anyway.
Speed test in command line went almost to 700 Mpbs, dunno if I have Motorcomm chip.
Didn’t test wifi and bt, I use ethernet, to much noise in that area, even the tv it’s on wired connectivity.
So, until now I’m good with the .no variant, way better for me than .ne, maybe some better drivers and stuff with the new kernel.
Things are going to be fine when the final version will be available! Good job as always, CE Team! :beers:

1 Like

Thanks for that information. I may give that NO another try on my TOX3 box.
I tried it when they first introduced the NO, but not useable at that time.

Tested the wifi - its working: wifi on TOX3
ceemmc -x gives only single mode installation on internal memory:

CoreELEC:~ # ceemmc -x
Starting CoreELEC eMMC installation tool...
System is not supported: sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit!
There is NO official support by Team CoreELEC
if you continue to run this tool!
Continue? [y]: y
eMMC size: 0x000747c00000 [32GB]
No CoreELEC installation found on eMMC
Install in single boot mode, only CoreELEC on eMMC
  Use CoreELEC data from
    [3] current used SD or USB device
    [4] existing backup on current used SD or USB device

Install in dual boot mode not possible!
Please choose one option? [3/4]:

Ive just received my TOX3 . Great piece of kit. $78~ Australian from AliExpress.

Original TOX3 TV Box Amlogic S905X4 Android11 4GB RAM 32GB ROM BT AV1 1000M LAN 2T2R Wifi 2.4G&5G HDR Media Player Set Top Box

Tried installs of all the current NO, NG, and NE.
Had vc1 issues esp on NE. Tried latest NE nighty that came out today (20240404)
woo hoo, all working 100% atm :). Great piece of kit.
VFD works too. Added Open VFD from CE addon folder (in services).
Used this
vfd.conf (1.2 KB)
300+ on eth download :slight_smile:
Very happy so far.
I recommend this box going forward :slight_smile: Baz

3 Likes