Whitelist on 8.90.3

dirtyregions set to 0 by default in CE 8.90.3. It can’t be the reason

May be so… but that’s what fixed it for me, as I said no amount of changing resolution, whitelist or rebooting fixed it.

In fact I can even break it again by setting my resolution to 1280x720p, adding the dirty region lines back into advancedsettings.xml and rebooting. The box comes back up in 720p and changing to 1080p or 2160p causes display corruption again.

On my X92_S912 box I set it to “Always” and switching works OK.
What is realy the difference between Start Stop and Always when my box switches frame rate also on start stop although it is set to always?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304117&pid=2501107#pid2501107
Google is my friend

@Michealmadson, I don’t know how 1080 content looks on your screen.
But I think for 25Hz and 50Hz it’s better to left only doublerate 50Hz

@spacemanspiff, on my old tv 23.976 is also absent in documentation but it works correctly, just choose it.

@mosmos, I have the same issue with livetv. It’s kodi issue, so it’s better to use only 50Hz in whitelist. You can ask on kodi forum about this issue, may be they will fix issue.

1 Like

I find with Freeview HD in UK the signal is often changing between 1080i50 and 1080p25 so if I have 1080p25 whitelisted the TV will keep changing resolution which is annoying, but it means if I want to watch a 25p mkv I have to watch in 50hz instead of 25hz. I’m not really sure what this whitelisting is trying to fix, it just seems to cause more issues. Is this more of an issue for people with 4K TVs?

@HansGruber, as I said in message above about whitelist modification you can ask on kodi forum. Whitelist is kodi feature, all complains about this feature you can send them.

But I don’t think that 1080p50 picture may be worse than 1080p25

The settings below minimise the number of resolution changes to a level I can live with for general broadcast TV use but does not address the underlying problem.

Settings → System → display

• Whitelist - deselect 1920x1080 @ 25.00 and 1920x1080 @ 30.00, select all all other supported resolutions 1080 and above including 4096x2160 @ 25 and 4096x2160 @ 30.
  • Resolution – 1920x1080 (Kodi Default)
  • Refresh Rate – 50.00 (Kodi Default is 60.00 but most of my content is 25/50)
    Videos with resolution not on whitelist get sent to TV at Kodi’s default resolution

Settings → Player → Videos

• Adjust display refresh rate – on start/stop

For broadcast 4k content playback still starts at 25fps then switches to 50fps. When I remove 4096x2160 @ 25 from the whitelist I just get a blank screen instead of getting play back at 50fps. I can live with this for now as there are not many 4k broadcast channels at the moment.

Nobody (devs included) likes the whitelist feature, it should have been made optional and disabled by default, unfortunately we did not introduce it nor is there anything we can do about it given the depth of the changes within Kodi.

Do not confuse this as a change we have introduced because we did not, CoreELEC is an operating system like Windows / Mac OSX, Kodi is an application that runs on it, whilst we do make some small changes to Kodi, this is definitely not one we introduced. Love it or hate it, we’re stuck with it though.

Everybody who has issues with it I would encourage to go and post your distaste at the Kodi forums and maybe then something will be done to disable it by default.

3 Likes

A CE Version with last Kodi Version before whitelist was introduced would be nice.
Devs and users could learn more about this feature and maybe reduce bugs like broken 1080i gui Resolution in the meantime. Just my 2C

Greetings,

I like Whitelist very much, I have always used the Auto-Res feature in the Enigma2 system.
I am delighted to come to the ELEC with the Whitelist feature.

I’m working super.

Best regards…

It is nice, 'cause it already exists :wink:

When I select all supported model in whitelist ( because I have 720p hd ready model Samsung lcd) then I play movie (720p encoded movie frame rate 23.976) movie still plays in 1080p@24hz instead 720p@25 or 720p@50hz? I wanna play movie in 720p@ 50hz as @boot2k3 said because my tv is 720p.

If the movie’s frame rate is 23.976, you want it to play at 24Hz, not any other framerate.
25FPS and 50FPS content should be played at 50Hz.

1 Like

@boot2k3 - thank you for specifically answering me - really appreciate that :slight_smile:

One more question - do you enable BOTH 24hz and 23.976? Or just 23.976?

@spacemanspiff, both
I had some 24Hz video too

In 8.90.2 1080 video is fluid. In 8.,90.3 despite whitelisting resolutions is is not.

kodidebuglog for 8.90.3

https://pastebin.com/UpNjzj4B

Cheers,

Gary