Why no DTS, TrueHD Audio?

Hi,
I have the following configuration:
N2 -> OLED TV
OLED TV (HDMI ARC) -> Denon (HDMI ARC)

I can’t connect: N2 -> Denon (HDMI Media Player) -> OLED TV (HDMI ARC) because Denon AVR is not capable to receive 4K video input signal.

With N2 -> OLED TV and OLED TV (HDMI ARC) -> Denon (HDMI ARC) and with Kodi Display Resolution GUI 3840x2160p 50 Hz almost everything is OK.

What doesn’t work?
There is silent in 5.1 speakers in content with DTS and TrueHD Audio.
There are no dialogs in central channel with Opus and Advanced Audio Codec (or channels are messed up - in L and R there is something but maybe it is Back L and Back R as there is silent in Back L and Back R?)
Audio Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital + is OK.

I have checked some combinations with Audio settings:
HDMI Multi Channels or HDMI
Number of channels 2.0 or 5.1
Allow Passthrough enabled or disabled

I can’t get correct sound for DTS, TrueHD Audio, Opus and Advanced Audio Codec.

Is that because DTS, TrueHD Audio, Opus streams are not supported by TV? If I’m trying to play those files directly from NAS via DLNA then I’m getting the message: “Audio stream not supported.”
I thought DTS, TrueHD Audio, Opus audio streams will be just passed from N2 to Denon AVR through TV when Allow passthrough is enabled in Kodi…

And why there is distorted Advanced Audio Codec while it is supported in TV audio stream?

Don’t think hdmi arc will pass through hd audio, you need eARC for that, and my LG tv won’t pass through any form of DTS.

Matt

I have found in AVR specs:
Supported video signals: 4K 30/25/24Hz
so why I have no output when I select in Kodi Display Resolution 3840x2160p 24Hz or 25Hz or 30Hz ?
I have also removed the section

<resolutions>
</resolutions>

in guisettings.xml
and nothing, no Kodi GUI with 3840x2160p 24Hz nor 25Hz nor 30Hz

Do yourself a favor and get an HDMI splitter, it’ll make things a 100x easier. I had the same problem as you and bought this one.

If you read the reviews its full of people with the same problem, a nice new shiny 4k HDR TV and an older AVR. Works perfect for me, get full passthrough to my AVR while the TV does 4k60 HDR perfectly.

1 Like

Which model is your TV?

• The 2020 models do not support DTS.
  • You cannot pass through TrueHD via ARC.
  • PCM with anything more than 2.0 channels will only playback 2 channels, so things will not sound correct.

Thanks for your response.
I bought HDMI splitter as suggested by PANiCnz and now my setup is as follow:

͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ̷ ͏͏→ TV (HDMI 1)
N2 -> HDMI switch → |
͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏ ͏͏  ͏͏\ → AVR (HDMI Media player)
TV (HDMI 2 - ARC) → AVR (HDMI ARC)

Everything with sound works correctly as my old AVR (2013 premiere) can decode all DTS types, Dolby True HD etc.
Truly speaking I’m a little bit upset as in the AVR’s manual it stays clearly:
This unit supports input and output of 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixels)
video signals of HDMI.
and:
Supported video signals: 4K 30/25/24 Hz

but I was not able to get Kodi GUI with those resolutions at all.

Anyway now with sound everything is OK but now I have a CEC issue: HDMI-CEC Problems Odroid C4 / N2 / N2+ - #68 by Vodalex
I will test with latest Nightly…

I am wondering, how it is with Audio / video sync when using splitter

only the 2020 models, or others too?

I would say sync is absolutely correct.
Remember to carefully select splitter verifying parameters.
I was able to find the one which is splitting video and audio streams separately.

2020 and newer.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.