X96S TV Stick Mini PC TV Box s905y2 cannot use DTB of s905x2

I have an android dtb from the mfr firmware. It does not appear different than the s905x2 tree in regards to the bluetooth and wifi (to my untrained eye). What can be done to get the necessary information to support the device? Is there some way to get the vendor:product numbers, or see where the devices are in the pci bus?faraday-2g.dtb (74 KB)

The radio device is an rtl8723bs. WiFi works directly as an additional driver. The bluetooth is a pain to get set up (hci_uart module does not automatically start), but does work with the g12a-s905x2-2g.dtb.

@lbernstone

I downloaded generic image, but there is no g12a-s905x2-2g.dtb present. Where did you get it?

I also tried to extract /dev/dtb as suggested above @kostaman , and use it as dtb.img - it does not boot. Also, all dtb I tried not worked.

X96S, 2G/16G, Android 9. Which image to download and which dtb to use?? To get it even to boot

I was only able to get the 2GB version to work with the original android 8.1 firmware. Newer versions did not work for me. I used the expected g12a-s905x-2g.dtb. It is in the device_trees folder if you download a CoreELEC Amlogic-ng nightly.

Well mine is Android 9, so it wonā€™t work then

It finally worked, but usb does not work. Dtb extracted from Android firmware does not boot at all and it seems to be invalid (too big - 250 k size).

Any solution?

Nope. I never had any problems with USB. Iā€™m glad you bumped this. I just gave it another shot with a nightly from 20200210, and it boots cleanly. It works with both a keyboard and a network adapter. WiFi and Bluetooth are not functional, but I had already gotten WiFi working, and was nearly there for bluetooth. Iā€™ll post a link here once I get an image that works.

@giaur500 I experienced the same problem that USB is not working. I mentioned it more than a month ago in another thread.

@lbernstone which memory size of X96S do you have?

I have both 2/16GB and 4/32GB version of X96S. On the 2/16GB, WiFi is not working while on the 4/32GB one, both 2.4 and 5GHz bands WiFi work but not the USB. I used dtb file g12a_s905x2_2g.dtb for the 2/16GB and g12a_s905x2_4g.dtb for the 4/32GB,

As of last nightā€™s nightlies, the 2GB version of X96S works. Note that the dtb used includes a physical ethernet, which is not present on the device. This will prevent your wifi from auto-connecting unless you disable wired networking, or add ip link set eth0 down in autostart.sh

Good catch. Well done and thanks for reporting

@lbernstone which dtb did you used? The same g12a-s905x-2g.dtb? Does usb work?

Here is a dtb for the 2G X96S. I removed the eth device.
x96s_2g.dtb (73.7 KB)

Please anybody confirm. I have S905y2 and usb not working. Is there any known way to make it working? If not, can I help somehow? Please let me know? I can extract dtb from original android firmware if it helps.

I also have the 4/32GB version of X96S and confirm that USB is not working. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth working. Hopefully USB can get fixed and working in a new nightly buildā€¦

If someone can provide the dtb from android, I will try to give you a dtb to test. I donā€™t have a device, so it may take a couple tries.

X96S 4/32 dtb from Android

dtb.img (230 KB)

Where did you get that? It does not appear to be valid. I donā€™t see a start sequence (d0 0d fe ed) anywhere in it.
PS I found one. Iā€™ll have a file to test in a bit.

Give this a shot. There were some minor differences in pll-settings from the generic g12a. I removed the ethernet phy while I was in there too.
x96s_4gb.dtb (72.7 KB)

Tried the dtb, USB still not working, BUT it boots up to CoreELEC much faster nowā€¦please keep trying

Run dmesg > /storage/dmesg.log at the console and post that file.
Itā€™s nearly impossible to troubleshoot this without having one. Sorry, buddy.