dmesg.log (93.8 KB)

And here’s the valid dtb from android
dtb.img (230 KB)

Last try merging in that dtb.
x96s_4gb.dtb (72.7 KB)

USB still not working…

dmesg.log (200.6 KB)

dtb.img.gz (132.0 KB)

Can you try with my dtb? Sadly, I am getting wifi not working and usb not working - both. Wifi hardware is not even recognized. I attached dtb extracted from Android, can you look? X96s mini s905y2, 2G

Above 4g version you posted won’t boot on my device. As I have usb and network not working, I won’t able to get dmseg.

The latest nightly (20200406) has new dtb’s (g12a_s905y2_xxx) and on the X96S 4GB with the new dtb, USB now works perfectly! Also boot up time GREATLY improved…

nightly 20200406 also looks good on X96S 2GB

Can I use that dtb with CoreElec stable?

A new stable version will be released soon. It’s never recommended to mix DTB files, and nightlies are based on a completely different kernel, so there’s no guarantee that it will work right.

I tried, it does not work

Nightly build works perfectly with that dtb. Wifi, usb, bluetooth not tested, but I can see scanned devices on list.

Also, Netflix is fine in full hd mode. So, Y2 seems to have better performance than X/X2

S905Y2 is the S905X2 with eth, audio and camera interfaces stripped so that it fits in a smaller package. It should be exactly the same performance as S905X2.

So, there must be something else, maybe CE nightly changed something. I am unable to watch Netflix FullHD on S905W. I did no test X or X2 though, maybe they will work too

There wasn’t. The S905W was never capable of playing a full hd netflix stream. I’m surprised it was capable of 720p really. It’s an underclocked S905X with some features removed, so if a S905X can’t do Full HD Netflix, neither can a S905W.
The X2 core runs at 2GHz, 500MHz (or 33%) faster than a S905X and 800MHz (or 66% faster) than a S905W.

Ok, I get it. Newer MxqPro I own is S905W and indeed it sucks. Most hevc either does not play or lag, Netflix 720p is actually fine, but some scenes still lag. Now I switched to X96S mini and new nightly with new dtb as mentioned and all is fine, Netflix FullHD, 4K/hevc is fine as well.

1 Like

Wifi really sucks, speed is very low. Not sure if that’s Linux driver or hardware itself is poor.

@TheCoolest can I get dtb and kernel from nightly and use it with stable build?

You can try, I don’t know if that’s going to work, though.

Are there some specific changes required in system to get y2 to boot? I’ll try, but what will happen on new stable update, will kernel be again reverted to version from stable?

The update process always updates the kernel and system images.

Well, better to stay on nightly, but that’s annoying I am forced to update every day or I will be notified with popup message. I actually preffer stable for daily use, but S905Y2 is not supported on stable yet

How do you think, will support be added in next stable?