19.0-Matrix Discussion

Request for help from any Odroid N2 owners.

If you follow the posts and my replies to @viky808 issue playing back a 4k HDR, could any N2 Odroid owner download and test the following video using Matrix CE19 or Leia v9.2.6 or 9.2.7?

What @viky808 finds is that this plays back perfectly on CE v9.2.5, but on v9.2.6, 9.2.7 or CE19 the playback is really bad - completely unwatchable. These are vanilla installs. I cannot recreate the issue on my S905x2 or S905x3 box - plays back perfectly for all versions of CE. Itā€™s just very weird that itā€™s broken in such a way post v9.2.5. It does not appear to be a hardware fault as, reinstalling CE v9.2.5 on the CE19 sd card ā€œfixesā€ the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :+1:

PS. If you scroll through this thread, you will see where @viky808 has posted debug logs etc of when the issue occurs. The only thing I saw was a ā€œtimeoutā€ message which led me to believe that the card was not fast enough as this file has bitrate of 60Mbps. However, it works perfectly on same sd card when v9.2.5 is installed.

1 Like

Download is not possible :woozy_face:

Iā€™m using firefox and can download it ok. If you want I can upload it to my mega account and then provide a link?

Thx for your help.

There is a message from Google:
This file cannot be viewed or downloaded at the moment.

Too many users viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try to access the file again later. If the file is large or has a large number of people access to it, it can take up to 24 hours before you can view or download it. If you still cannot access the file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

Ok. Iā€™m downloading it now and will post a link when itā€™s uploaded - (might take while to upload).

Thx again.

download works here - when its done i am going to test this file on Odroid N2 and normal 1080p TV. Hope that helps.

Thanks - any help is welcome!! I think @viky808 has 4k tv - not sure if thatā€™s important. Normally, you can find a reason as to why this is not working, but Iā€™m stumped.

video runns fine here:
Odroid N2 at 19.0-Matrix_nightly_20210319
TV: 1080p (SDR)

Uploading nowā€¦ probably another 10-15 mins and will be done.

Thanks - itā€™s beginning to look like an HDR problem. Apparently normal SDR files are fine. Still canā€™t explain why itā€™s broken post v9.2.5. Further up this thread, @viky808 has posted videos of what it looks like at v9.2.5 and post v9.2.5

I find it hard to believe it could be a hardware fault, but I canā€™t think of anything else. If you can play it back fine on your N2, I canā€™t think of anything. I have 4k HDR tv and no problems with it.

Yes, itā€™s 4K HDR, Philips 70PUS TV.

Do you have just the one N2 box and is there only one SD card slot and one HDMI port?

Yes I have got only this setup. I changed nothing in my tests, same HDMI slot, same card, same cable, same Odroid, no passtrough AVR, just cable from Odroid to TV. Whatā€™s changing is CE.
Like you said, itā€™s beginning looks like HDR problem.

Video runs smooth and fine
Odroid N2 running CE 9.2.7 connected to Denon X3300 and Philips OLED HDR TV

Checked around using my S905X & S912 boxes - video is playing fine

1 Like

Thanks for checking! Something very weird happening then which I canā€™t explain. The only variable in the setup is the version of CE.

This one has beaten me. The only change is the version of CE. Iā€™m guessing there must be some change made post v9.2.5 which affects your combination of N2 and Philips TV. In fact, that has to be the answer. Is there any way you can attach the N2 to a different TV for testing? I do recall there were HDMI-CEC changes made post v9.2.5 and I have a vague recollection that Philips TVs have had issues with HDMI-CEC in the past. This might be a question for @Portisch or @TheCoolest to answer.

From v9.2.6 changelog (look at 7th entry regarding CEC):-

Changes Since 9.2.5

• Fixed booting ODROID-HC4 from an ATA drive
  • Added Device Tree for Beelink GT mini A and GT1 mini
  • Added support for STK1160 analog TV tuner
  • Added ZRAM support (Amlogic)
  • Added Bluetooth auto connect after boot and automatic switch to Bluetooth audio device
  • Improved media handling and playback
  • Fixed CEC driver (Amlogic-NG)
  • Several small bug fixes
  • Fixed 8K HEVC playback
  • Added possibility to use BBR TCP congestion control algorithm

I recall having to upgrade my Amlogic firmware to latest version when upgrading to v9.2.6 as HDMI-CEC stopped working (it was fine up to v9.2.5). The symptom was that when I powered down the Amlogic box, it did not switch HDMI source back to the TV. Once I upgraded firmware, everything went back to normal again. Is there a way to upgrade firmware on the N2? (more likely the culprit is the TV firmware).

I donĀ“t know.
In many cases some ā€˜specialā€™ settings or addons are causing issues

Video plays flawless here. N2 CE19 playing file from USB hard drive. Try a different TV?

Sorry to bump this again.
I was to fast at my reply last time, have uninstalled Composite and still get the ā€œCoreELEC Configuration Errorā€ at boot I think it could be the Multi Weather add-on which are loading the temperature.

Thanks for testing. Yes, a process of elimination points to changes made in v9.2.6 (possibly regarding CEC) affecting the combination of N2 and Philips TV. I updated my previous post.

Thx again