3D Frame Packed (MVC) output with CoreELEC?

It’s hidden under the Avatar Trailers on the Samples Page, which has a lot of differents choices listed:

e.g. 8th and 9th link from the top.

Yes, only mkv play properly. No way to play Iso (black screen with audio or 2D) depends on the settings.

Checked this version CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_devel_20240617122644
The video is 100% the same as the Dune real vision result.
Congratulations, 3d-FP is rendered and works well.
But there are the following problems.

1. Ceam outputs 3d-FP video even on TVs that don’t have 3d support :). I.e. ignores data from EDID.
  2. ISO with MVC is played with lags, periodic delays, 1 frame is output twice or three times, but the same video in MKV does not have them and plays without problems.
    Attached screenshots of Dune vs Ceam comparison
    Attached video with the defect.
    Ceam

Dune

Dune

Ceam

Video with defect

Latest version preferred mode automaticly selecting not the right mode. The version before was correct in this matter.
If not selecting mode over/under, the KODI OSD looks like this.
Left eye

Right eye

3D full MVC will not decode correctly.
Left eye

Right eye

When selecting over/under the OSD will be correct, but not the movie itself.
Left eye

Right eye

The purple HALO on the right eye is clear.

Thank You,

I even have no idea how to reproduce. What is left or right eye and how to show?

Just as a reminder: all requests about 3d are lowest priority as the format is dead, at least since 2021 when Nvidia removed support.

Appreciate all the work You have done. I have no knowledge about the technologie so I’m not the right person to tell You how to work this out.
Luckily the previous version detected the format well. So go back to that version in detection in case of displaying KODI HUD.
I think left eye is the original picture and the right one is calculated from the stored MVC differences data. As far as I observed the picture is decoded well in ALL the ISO or MKV MVC ISO files I have. So no HALO or such artefacts to be seen!
I’ve seen the pictured problem on the so called 3D-full-MVC files whatever that means.
About the buffering.
Kodi handles buffering quite OK when playing from network or USB source. That is not the case when playing 3D MVC. If there is no data to decode, e.g. the buffer runs dry, the player freezes. That would be nice to master out too.
No hurry, You achieved great success.

Only “issues” by show how it should be, how it is with CE and what to do to reproduce will be accepted in future.

ISO start from menu or play title does now work

1 Like

Are these Avatar SBS samples MVC?
Kodi detect only H264.

@Portisch
Are you a magician?
Everything works properly now including “Play main movie” both for mkv and iso.
In the ancient latin language people who accomplished something exceptional were graded with “10 cum lauda”
This goes today to you and to CE Team.
This build could be the final build for 3D or you are still researching?
Thank you very much.

Where are these avatar samples?

@Portisch thanks, But still getting crashes on high rate BD3D’S i.e Black panther. And 2in1 BD3D’S is not 3D auto detected i.e Resident Evil. paste.coreelec.org/TakesWaving
Paste.coreelec.org/IdealDistract.
These had no issues on your CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2-devel-1717679789-9.2.8
Even this ‘Avatar 2 The Way of Water (2022) Trailer A 3D Full SBS Flat 1080p DTS-HD MA’- @Xenothar is this file you had issue? It played fine on 9.2.8

@Portisch Is wonderful what you have achieved in so little time so really thank you, i just feel you are so close to perfection.

@xmlcom: Yes, all the full SBS files seem to crash due to a resolution change of Kodi (no matter if flat or scope), but I have not tested with the new builds yet, will do so today.

@Portisch: No, they are not MVC, full/half TAB (top and bottom) or SBS (side-by-side) do not use a second data stream with only the deltas as MVC encoding does but rather attach the second-eye frame straight to the first, also no deliberate blank space inbetween as in the decoded MVC sent to the display. In “half mode”, each eye gets only half 1080p resolution, so that the full picture for both eyes fits in a normal 1920x1080 signal. In “full mode” one dimension is double the normal width or height, so both eyes get a full 1080p picture. In Full SBS case, thats 3840 x 1080 pixels, no second datastream, no MVC stored in the files.
My report was less pertaining to MVC issues but rather that the previous functionality of playing Full SBS broke, at least on my end. Will report after testing with a fresh latest install.

Side note: Not all TVs can handle full SBS, but the LG E6 does for example. It’s kind of exotic I think and only really made sense on passive/active 4k 3D or active 1080p 3D panels.

Second side note: I think, Full SBS not working would be no real issue (at least for me), since we now got wonderful MVC goodness. But I also guess many people using CE for 3D were reencoding MVC to full SBS/TAB, as this was the only way to watch 3D until now :-).

I get some like this with SBS. But I have no idea how it must look like.
What CE image does work correctly?

Is it working correct with Avatar 2 The Way of Water (2022) Trailer A 3D Half SBS Flat 1080p DTS-HD MA 5.1.mkv? 207.41 MB file on MEGA

It should look like this. and it works perfectly using your image of yesterday
CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_devel_20240619161602

1 Like

So it works already?
Because I did think it did not work at all?

It works perfectly. At least in my Panasonic TV

@xmlcom
I have tested the Black Panther iso and had no problem at all. No stuttering, skipping chapters ahead/back, ffww/rrww.
Do you know which movie is this?

It does not work on my end, no, but that might be me?

To be sure, this is the process I use for testing (did it just now with newest builds):

• Fresh install with latest generic nightly (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_nightly_20240619-Generic.img.gz)
  • Rename dtb-file and put in root (in my case AM6B)
  • Update with latest dev-tar from this thread (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_devel_20240619161602.tar)
  • Try playing 3D-Files to an LG E6 4K OLED 3D

I tried playing it straight from the SD card this time to rule out a networking problem. I also tried connecting it to a new LG C3 TV to rule out display issues (the C3 can’t do 3D, but it should show the picture as two frames next to each other, same as in your photo Portisch).

Full SBS (not half SBS @Portisch) still does not work on my end. I can hear the sound, so the video seems to play in the background, but the Kodi UI is still on top.

The same happens (which leads me to beleive it has nothing to do with SBS or 3D, but with the general resolution change), when I try to change the resolution from 1080p to 4k under Settings-> System → Display Resolution, the UI freezes, I can hear button presses by the UI sounds still happening, so only the UI freezes, but not the box itself, and after some seconds it returns to 1080p as it should, since i did not confirm the new resolution.

Am I doing something wrong in my process? @ragico Do you use the same process? Everything is as freshly installed as possible. I am happy to provide logs or film whats happening, if that helps.

Lastly: @Portisch: The Trailer you linked was the Half SBS Version, this one worked all the time (since there is no resolution change necessary I guess), but with ragico, it seems also Full SBS works?

I do not use Ugoos for 3d. I use an old X99max+ tv box.
First time install on the sd card (I use Rufus dont like balenaEtcher) was CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.5-Matrix-Generic.img.
Then, dayly tar provided by @Portisch .
Never go back to fresh install again.
If ,as happened, a tar does not work, I update with the last working tar.
Yesterday tar is almost perfect to me.
My 3D TV is Panasonic Plasma TXP50GT60E about 10 years old that looks perfect to my eyes.