9.2.4.2 Discussion

Hi experts,

I’m running CoreELEC on a MeCool KII Pro S905 box. Until the new version 9.2.4.2 everything was fine and all playbacks, including TV streams were running smoothly.

But since the new update on 9.2.4.2 the playback is very jerky now. Does anybody know what the issue is and how to solve it? Otherwise I need to switch back to the previous version, as watching like this is annoying after a while.

Thank you!

Welcome on your first post.
Please have a read HERE how to post logs

Hi kostaman,

thank you for your message. The log-url is: http://ix.io/2BmS

Cheers

Hi again,

I don’t know what it is, but anything must have been changed in the latest version, that my playback is not wroking smooth anymore, even the settings stayed the same. When I turn back to the previous version, everything works fine again.
Any ideas?

Thank you & best regards,
Arne

His logs are just 1 post up.
He waited 3 days, and then did a bump. That’s not unreasonable.

1 Like

Ah, thx. Then I missed it, can’t check everything in detail every time. Thank you for your hint!

I checked your log and see nothing what could cause the issue - just that your hardware is gxb, S905.
Please try a fresh clean install on another boot media with only the really need addons. There were no “big” updates on the Amlogic (GXB/GXL/GXM) project since a long time.

I am very sorry that the developers forgot about the owners of these boxes.

What do you expect? Software development moves forward as hardware does. My second box is a S905X and it works fine, doesn’t need updating. New devices get updates, welcome to the real world. Especially considering the low price of the new hardware…

1 Like

A world of disposable items?

That’s the way it is

Features expand to use new hardwares capabilities, old hardware chokes on those hardware pushing software features and becomes redundant. This is the way it has always been in computing.
Many old boxes can be repurposed as servers

Shoog

1 Like

This is sad, the characteristics of the box completely suit me.

1 Like

That’s right, my old nettop has a Debian server installed and works well.

The S905 is a 5 year old chipset. The 3.14 kernel is ancient, and is starting to show its age.
The newer, 4.9, kernel we now use does not have support for the S905 SoC. Adding support for these devices is out of the scope of what we, as a team, think our limited time and resources should be focused on. So, if you have a CE version that works for your needs, you can keep using that version. If you want to progress with the times, then you can buy a new device, that the newer kernel has support for. Or you can try LibreELEC, with their mainline efforts, and see what that gets you in terms of actual day to day usability.

CoreELEC is open source, and any contributions to the project are welcome. So if you want to add support for the S905 SoC to the 4.9 kernel, you are welcome to do it, and open a PR for us to review.

1 Like

Thank you, the information is accepted.
But I’m sorry about this situation.

You can always repurpose your existing device to serve some other function in your home, you don’t have to throw it out. It can still be useful.

Is it true that S905X2 boxes have CEC issue and its on amlogic side? Especially as one have Panasonic TV. My CEC stopped working (in CE and Androide) while ago. I read about it on this forum, but lost link and cannot find. Any tip?