9.2.4.2 Discussion

Thanks for that info. So I leave it as is for my X96 Max+ 4/64GB box. Must say this box so far seems very good indeed with the -ng build :slight_smile: and the price of this box is incrfedibl low for such a high spec device.

I am not going to do that. My files are good.
I understand that the focus for now is on 4K
I’m happy with 9.2.2
Just want to stop these update messages (they are off in config)

We saw such cases in the past and they were broken :yum:

Kodi sometimes forgets the set resolution if the TV is not on when the box is powered on. At least in my case, it has often switched from 4K to 1080p which means that all my 720p playback at 1080p and the TV will then upscale to 4K. Not nice…

Thanks relkai. I note my projector says 1080p/50Hz which basically proves what you said to be correct.

I think you’re being facetious on the 9.2.4.2 version - you already know which one of those to use, since you already had CE installed and used the ng version for your device

Re 50/60 Hz - that has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL (nor the relative frequencies of AC power coming out of your wall socket), it is the refresh rate of the TV or projector in your case i.e. that is the frequency at which your screen refreshes its image. Look up your device specs.

1080i vs 1080p

I second this. On past versions of LE/Kodi (so perhaps CE too), I would always be careful to have my amp and TV turned ON any time I am rebooting, otherwise resolution and framerate could sometimes be limited… which would lead to “juddering” and whatever other associated problems this causes.

But it is still wrong what was posted there.
You need to boot with TV and AVR on. Then you copy your systems disp_cap to your .kodi/userdata/disp_cap.

This way you will always have all your TVs resolutions.

Btw I have the same Problems with my Soundbar that cuts the hdmi to my TV.
And I am using a users disp_cap too. Additionally I set the cec physical address.

1 Like

Thank you for your help I can again control my media player with my phone it was this web server setting that went off but last night I couldn’t find it even it was clearly explained in the yatse post pardon me… I didn’t expect automatic update would disable webserver well I now know what to do and where find this feature. Cheers to everyone giving time to improve such a nice media player I don’t have any TV for years but I can still enjoy watching contents thanks to YOU

Hmm am I being lazy or would this be a useful feature to expose in the “Expert” options somewhere in the CE config menus? It could be called “Remember display capabilities (requires reboot)”. By default it could be off (same behavior as now), but if you turn it on, it goes through the process you have described, and only returns to the default behavior if you disable it.

Thinking about it more, I find this “detect on boot” problematic - can we really expect users to somehow “know” that they need TV and AVR turned on before CE box? Where are they supposed to learn this critical order of what to turn on first? Maybe a better way would be if CE could detect if a display is “OFF” then delay the query command until its turned on?

Is it possible to install on the internal memory of a Minix U1? Currently running from an SD card but very slow when doing library updates.

There is no way to detect a display when the AVR/Soundbar cuts the hdmi line to the TV. TV’s deliver hdmi edid information even if they are off thats why it works if you connect it directly to the TV.
I recently implemented a “wait-for-dispcap” systemd service which is included in 9.2.4.2. It waits up to 1min on boot to find disp_cap information. First I wanted to make it wait as long till infinity but after discussing it internally we decided against it.

After 1min timeout it will temporarily fallback to 720p. I also had a fallback to the resolution.ini value.
The biggest problem is what will happen if you move your device from lets say your bedroom TV to your living room. In this case you will have to remove your static disp_cap or you might end up with a “No Signal” if the other TV doesn’t support it. Thats why doing things like that automatically or with a GUI option is a bad idea.

It is definitely a User Setup/Hardware Problem and the fix is for advanced users.

3 Likes

:fu: :clap:

I was unsure about ng or not but it’s a moot point now. Being facetious was far from my intentions. After all the help you gave me, I have nothing but appreciation for you and I bow to your IT skills which are vastly superior to mine.

Edit: Thanks also for the link to the 1080i vs 1080p explanation. I now understand the difference perfectly and am happy to know that my system operates in 1080p.

oh, I’m very sorry, wrong emoji… :grimacing:
I wanted to show thumbs-up :+1:, of course…
The display of my phone is really too small!
Sorry again, @Ray!

1 Like

Hehe ok. Yeah I was confused about the like and then the comment. No hard feelings.

Hello, I have been using luks encrypted partitions for some time now with my x96 max, but after the last update it hangs (100% cpu on one core) on cryptsetup command:

cryptsetup --debug --verbose luksOpen /dev/sdb1 seagate_luks

# cryptsetup 2.3.0 processing "cryptsetup --debug --verbose luksOpen /dev/sdb1 seagate_luks"
# Running command open.
# Locking memory.
# Installing SIGINT/SIGTERM handler.
# Unblocking interruption on signal.
# Allocating context for crypt device /dev/sdb1.
# Trying to open and read device /dev/sdb1 with direct-io.
# Initialising device-mapper backend library.
# Trying to load any crypt type from device /dev/sdb1.
# Crypto backend (Linux 4.9.113 kernel cryptoAPI) initialized in cryptsetup library version 2.3.0.
# Detected kernel Linux 4.9.113 aarch64.
# PBKDF pbkdf2-sha256, time_ms 2000 (iterations 0).
# Reading LUKS header of size 1024 from device /dev/sdb1
# Key length 64, device size 5860530176 sectors, header size 4036 sectors.
# Activating volume seagate_luks using token -1.
# Interactive passphrase entry requested.
Enter passphrase for /dev/sdb1:
# Activating volume seagate_luks [keyslot -1] using passphrase.
# dm version   [ opencount flush ]   [16384] (*1)
# dm versions   [ opencount flush ]   [16384] (*1)
# Detected dm-ioctl version 4.35.0.
# Device-mapper backend running with UDEV support disabled.
# dm status seagate_luks  [ opencount noflush ]   [16384] (*1)
# Trying to open key slot 0 [ACTIVE].

A post was merged into an existing topic: How to configure VFD

Dont turn off box.

WiFi dosnt work on KIII Pro anymore… Fall back to 9.2.2 and it works again.